Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2001 12:10:10 AM EDT
Wife wants a DVD player as we do not have one yet.  Eventually we are going to do the HDTV setup so I want a progressive scan player.  Any suggestions.  One's I have been looking at so far are Sony NS700P, Mitsubishi 6020 (or something like that, has progressive scan and DVD audio) and the Panasonic ???56. Budget is around three hundred bucks.

Any other sugestions?  Is DVD Audio or Super Audio CDs the wave of the future.  Help as I think she wants one for Christmas eve.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks.

Anyone else with experience or other review sites?
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/DVD/[/url]

Your welcome,

Dave S

Use the alphabet codes(C - California Audio Labs) for different brand names.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Eventually we are going to do the HDTV setup so I want a progressive scan player...Budget is around three hundred bucks.
View Quote

You can easily pick up a player with progressive outputs for your budget.  I bought my father a Pioneer DVD525 two years ago.  It was only $250 and it had progressive outputs (plus DD and DTS).  Prices have come down since then, so you should have an abundence of choices.

Quoted: Is DVD Audio or Super Audio CDs the wave of the future.
View Quote

Not for $300.  Anyway, I'm not sure how DVD audio and SACD will fit into the home entertainment systems of ordinary folk.  You need to have very good equipment in order to distinguish the difference between a regular CD recording and a SACD recording (not worth it for boom boxes).  In places where ambient noise is high (such as in the car), there is no advantage to SACD or DVD audio.  DVD audio (and SACD, I think) have the capability of recording music in multiple channels.  It might be interesting.  The question is are the marginal improvements worth the money?  My opinoin is "no".  The improvement of CDs over cassette tapes is significant.  I don't think you will see that degree of improvement in SACD or DVD audio.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:03:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never had trouble with anything Sony.  But, I've never had a Sony DVD player.  Well, actually, I did have a Sony digital camera at work that crapped out.  But, I recall that they had a great repair center which charged very reasonable flat rate prices.

On the other hand, I had a Pioneer DVL-700 DVD/LD player that stopped working after two years.  Trying to get the thing fixed was a complete hassle.  I sent it back twice and paid over $300.  The damn thing never got fixed right.

So, I guess my experience is that although Sony does break down sometimes, at least they have a repair network in place.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info guys.  I'm off to the store and I'm kinda leaning toward the Mitsubishi, as I have had good luck with their products reliability wise in the past.  

Thanks DVD, I got like 3 DVDs and will probably top out at around twenty (based on VHS collection), so I'm not sure how much cataloguing I'll need, but thanks for the offer.  Money all goes to dogs and guns so not much of a movie collector. I still might join just for the searching and trading though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
For a DVD player that is truly worth it's asking price, check out the Pioneer DV444

[url]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/HomeProducts/HomeProductDetails/0,1422,2349,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
JUST GOT OUR ANNUAL PRESENT FOR EACH OTHER.
PANASONIC SA-HT65
COSTCO  $399
CAN'T WAIT FOR NASCAR SEASON WHEN FOX SAYS

CRANK IT UP!!!!!!
GREAT UNIT FOR THE MONEY
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Not to bash sony, because I have one, but just a note. Some of their models won't play burned cd's. So if you are into making your own cd's, or vcd's be aware there are several players that won't read them, not just the sony.
This only means something like I said, if you burn your own stuff off your computer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
For everything you could ever possibly want to know about Home Theater, visit [url]www.avsforum.com[/url].  Some VERY knowledgable people there.

I don't even bother buying magazines anymore, because by the time the magazine reveals something new, it's been discussed to death on the forums.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would stay away from Sony DVD's.  I've had 2, and both broke within a year.  I know somebody that works at Best Buy, and they say that Sony DVD players are the second-most often returned due to problems.  

My current Sony, my second, can no longer be turned off.  If I do, I have to beat on the thing to get it to turn back on.  Next time I'm going with a Toshiba or a JVC.
View Quote

Just out of curiousity, what's the first most-returned brand?

I bought a Panasonic DVD player 2-1/2 years ago, never had a problem with it and the picture and sound quality is great but the menus aren't what I'd call intuitive.  I use the S-Video and Optical audio outputs, have a slight preference for DTS audio over 5.1 Dolby so would recommend getting a player with that feature if you'll be feeding a surround sound system with it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Toshiba SD-1700 that is over a year old and is excellent. My brother in law worked at Best Buy and he said Sony was the worst for repairs.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#17]
DVDTracker I have been to your website but, I just don't seem to understand what it's for.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/26/2001 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I just bought a Sony NS700P and I love it.  My old roommate had a first generation Sony that he bought for $600 and we used that thing 1000s of times and never had any problems with it.  Sony is a great brand to me.  I've had Sony surround sound receivers (3) and I love them all.  They are reasonably priced with a lot of features I like.  All the brands have problems, and if you are worried about it, get the extended warrenties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top