Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2001 10:59:51 PM EDT
In keeping with the other thread below about VHS vs. DVD's I have a question:

I bought a Samsung DVD player around the first of the year.  I now have about 3 to 4 x the value of the DVD player in DVD's.  The Player is a bottom of the line unit, but far superior to my 4 head stereo VHS player.  However, I get occasional skips on the DVD's.  I know most of them are due to dirt/fingerprints/scratches on the disc.  

What is the proper way to clean, and if necessary repair scratches on the disc?  I rented a DVD (a new release that was only two days old) from Blockbuster, and it was so badly scratched that it wouldn't play (looked like someone had rubbed it against concrete).  

Is there anything that can be done to keep the laser lens clean in the player?

Thanks!

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
There are comercial products available for both disc and laser lense cleaning. If a disc has anything deaper than a light surface scratch then the disc is ruined. Any good electronics store should have both products. The disc cleaners simply resurface it so that the laser isn't defracted by the scratch. The lense cleaners are sometimes as simple as a brush that spins around in there to wipe away any dust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top