Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 4:36:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 4:39:05 PM EST by NoSoupForYou]
Today I was trying to copy a DVD (non copyrighted DVD, of course ) using DVD Shrink. I've done it a hundred times before without a problem. I have a Shuttle small form factor PC, I bought it pre-built directly from Shuttle with Win XP Home installed, it seems to be a no name DVD Burner.

It was still in the encoding phase when all of a sudden I received my first BSOD in years. I tried it again and it froze about 80% thru. I went to try it a third time, but now it won't even recognize there being a disc in there. I tired many different discs of different types (CDROM, Music CD, Video CD, DVD), none of them work.

I assume my DVD burner is borked? A hardware problem in the DVD burner would cause a BSOD, correct? If that's the case I'll just replace the DVD burner.

So which one should I get? Speed isn't a big issue to me. The one I currently have does DVD R/RW and +R as well as Dual Layer, but I don't use any of them, I just use R. Any recommendations on a good but inexpsnsive drive? I see this drive on the front page of newegg, ya can't beat the price, but will it fail next month? www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152058

Also, should I be using +R instead of R (or is it called -R?)?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:41:05 PM EST
get this

I bought one when it was about $70 and had NEVER had a SINGLE issue with it or burned a single coaster. you will also find it burns some 8X DVD's at 10x or 12x.

its a good deal, good produce and newegg will have it to you in 3 days!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:42:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By binary0101:
get this

I bought one when it was about $70 and had NEVER had a SINGLE issue with it or burned a single coaster. you will also find it burns some 8X DVD's at 10x or 12x.

its a good deal, good produce and newegg will have it to you in 3 days!

Damn, I just edited that same link into my post!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:43:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 4:43:33 PM EST by binary0101]
LOL, looks like you updated your post with the same one!!! too funny

ETA spell check
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:45:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 4:47:25 PM EST by binary0101]
yea, i would cop that one man. like i said i have had it for awhile and never an issue. I use shrink and dvd decrypter with NERO and sometime anydvd when i need to. I get the ridata -R DVD's and have not had a problem
ETA, as far as + or - R.

+ r is better for data so i have heard. I have used both for movies and for data and not had any issues. Some people may not be able to play a copied DVD on a +R DVD in an old DVD player. other than that I would say for the sake of $$ to get the -R. Its good enough for what you need (burn movies)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:46:37 PM EST
SOFTWARE problem

DVD burner burnout would not bluescreen you, you'd just be getting coasters...

If it's a hardware problem, it's with that 'small form factor' PC you bought (they're rather notorious for 'issues' due to the heavy use of proprietary/non-standard hardware)...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:50:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
SOFTWARE problem

DVD burner burnout would not bluescreen you, you'd just be getting coasters...

If it's a hardware problem, it's with that 'small form factor' PC you bought (they're rather notorious for 'issues' due to the heavy use of proprietary/non-standard hardware)...

It was in the encoding stage so I wouldn't get any coasters, it wasn't burning, just reading.

The PC has been perfect for a year and a half. This is the only problem I have had is the one I am having right now, where it won't read a disc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:39:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:15:17 AM EST
find the model number of the old drive, and try to do a firmware update(the files are on the manuf web site). not all drives will read or write all newer media.

the drive could be bad also. but it could just be a firmware problem
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:24:18 AM EST
cruze, I wish it were that easy, but it won't read any disc at all, new or old. How could that be a firmware problem?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:53:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Helldog40:
I have 5 NEC burners and they all work great.

I just bought a slim one for my laptop.

They're a great drive for the price.

I only have one, bought about 2 years ago, and it's never made a coaster.

The Lite-On I had to replace on the other hand, wouldn't even recognize the disks that came with it.
Top Top