Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 6:23:58 PM EDT
northzax (1000+ posts) Mon May-23-05 05:11 PM
Original message
Majority of Physicians Give the Nod to Evolution Over Intelligent Design

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 23, 2005--Results of a national survey of 1,472 physicians revealed that more than half of physicians (63%) agree that the theory of evolution is more correct than intelligent design.

The study was conducted by the Louis Finkelstein Institute for Social and Religious Research at The Jewish Theological Seminary and HCD Research in Flemington, New Jersey, from May 13-15. The study was conducted as part of a continuing investigation of the social, political, and economic issues confronting the U.S. health care system. The margin of error for the study was plus or minus 3% at a 95% level of confidence.

from Businesswire: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.j...

reading on, there is a breakdown by religious affiliation, which is interesting.

But what really scares me is that 37% of physicians DON'T agree with the general theory of evolution. Anyone want a surgeon who believes in ID? scary.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:26:50 PM EDT
I think my hernia was repaired by a Hindu... Didn't bother me...

A researcher? Yes, that would be a little more difficult to resolve...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:27:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
northzax (1000+ posts) Mon May-23-05 05:11 PM
Original message

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 23, 2005--Results of a national survey of 1,472 physicians revealed that more than half of physicians (63%) agree that the theory of evolution is more correct than intelligent design.

The study was conducted by the Louis Finkelstein Institute for Social and Religious Research at The Jewish Theological Seminary and HCD Research in Flemington, New Jersey, from May 13-15. The study was conducted as part of a continuing investigation of the social, political, and economic issues confronting the U.S. health care system. The margin of error for the study was plus or minus 3% at a 95% level of confidence.

from Businesswire: http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.j...

reading on, there is a breakdown by religious affiliation, which is interesting.

But what really scares me is that 37% of physicians DON'T agree with the general theory of evolution. Anyone want a surgeon who believes in ID? scary.

While I am not religious, I couldn't care less what the doctor's religion is as long as he uses proper, science-based medicine like he was taught in medical school.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 6:31:05 PM EDT by Voldermortist]
what happens if you believe in both? Personally I believe that life on this planet was a part of intelligent design. Something does not simply come from nothing...... It's universally impossible. Nothing just simply bleeps into existance. I also believe that this planet has evolved for billions of years. For those in religion who are worried, keep in mind, God has never acknowledged when this planet was created..... He says 7 days it took for creation of the human race, but WHEN.

ETA: oh yeah and isnt Adam and Eve nothing more than a Fable? didn't Jesus even acknowledge that? I'm a little sketchy on what he says about that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:38:20 PM EDT
Adam & Eve were created by God and were real people. I want a Christian doctor
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
Oh my!!!

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:42:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Voldermortist:
what happens if you believe in both? Personally I believe that life on this planet was a part of intelligent design. Something does not simply come from nothing......
It's universally impossible. Nothing just simply bleeps into existance. I also believe that this planet has evolved for billions of years. It's universally impossible. Nothing just simply bleeps into existance. I also believe that this planet has evolved for billions of years.

Then what created the creator?

You are misreading the intent of science. It's sciences job to search, not to be idled by philosophical circular references. Nor should it be deterred by the scope of the unknown.

It's universally impossible. Nothing just simply bleeps into existance. I also believe that this planet has evolved for billions of years. For those in religion who are worried, keep in mind, God has never acknowledged when this planet was created..... He says 7 days it took for creation of the human race, but WHEN.

ETA: oh yeah and isnt Adam and Eve nothing more than a Fable? didn't Jesus even acknowledge that? I'm a little sketchy on what he says about that.

Sounds like your faith is shaken. You are a hair away from being agnostic. Answer this, do you believe 'god' is a sentient being? (One that has a large and active role in your daily life)
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:44:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:46:31 PM EDT
I don't care if they are Muslim, Christian or fricking Satanic... If they are good at what they do, and keep me and my family alive... that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:51:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:54:45 PM EDT

That scares me too! I have much less respect for someone who doesn’t believe in evolution.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:55:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:
A much larger question is why is life self organizing? Science answers how, not why. Something important to remember.

Why does gravity exist? Not the mechanism, the reason?

Not everything needs a 'reason'.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:56:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 6:57:34 PM EDT by DigDug]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:05:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Answer this, do you believe 'god' is a sentient being? (One that has a large and active role in your daily life)

Why does whatever creator out "there" have to have an active role in your life to fit into your scheme of things? they just as simply could have set things in motion and just walked away to let things run on their own, along with the lifeforms on whatever other millions of planets they also created life on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:08:08 PM EDT
damn... I almost forgot this in my first post: IBTL
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:12:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 7:13:35 PM EDT by garandman]

Coming from you, that is HILARIOUS.

YOu want me to PROVE God, and you deny faith as a legitimate answer, but when its YOUR crap theories, suddenly "not everything needs a reason."

Dude.....

You are gonna be hearing that phrase ALOT in the future.

[Driftpunch]"Not everything needs a reason...."[/driftpunch]

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:31:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 7:32:50 PM EDT by IamtheNRA]
It must be pointed out that just because we don't fully understand the mechanism behind gravity AT THE PRESENT TIME, this is NOT evidence for the existence of God.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:51:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:56:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 8:04:30 PM EDT by raven]
This DU'er is confused about what "intelligent design" is, and doesn't understand that Darwin's theory of evolution is completely compatible with the idea that the profound complexity and "workability" of the natural world; everything from the atomic weights of atomic particles, to the distance of the earth from the sun, to the abilty of lifeforms to evolve and adapt to the environment in order to better pass on their DNA, suggests there is some kind creative intelligence behind it all.

Is it the god of Abraham? Intelligent deisgn replies "Who knows? But how else can you explain the order of the universe other than some sort of transcendent creative intelligence and power?"

The alternative is, the universe is a complete accident that came together by chance and circumstance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:00:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:

Originally Posted By IamtheNRA:
It must be pointed out that just because we don't fully understand the mechanism behind gravity AT THE PRESENT TIME, this is NOT evidence for the existence of God.

Science can never prove or disprove the existence of God.

Science doesn't actually prove or disprove anything.

Repeated observation and reproducible observations increase the probability that what has happened in a given set of circumstances will continue to happen in the same way. That's all.

Look at it this way. The sun rises in the east, every day, so far. Will the sun do the same tomorrow? Can you be sure?

No, you can't be sure but the probabillity is very high.

Sun comes up tomorrow - probability high.

God exists as an all powerful being controlling, directing and involved in human affairs - probability very low.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:05:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 8:06:58 PM EDT by jblachly]

Originally Posted By Ardenner:

That scares me too! I have much less respect for someone who doesn’t believe in evolution.

I don't care what they believe in, as long as they practice good medicine. Who cares what your surgeon believes was the origin of the universe? What relevance does that have to the surgical procedure? They could be Zoroastrian for all I care.

You sound like just another hand-wringing liberal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:16:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 8:17:22 PM EDT by ar15bubba]

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Life is the only self-organizing, counter-entropic force in the universe, at least, as far as has yet
been discovered. But life is not unusual or even rare. Wherever the building blocks of life are
present and there is an adequate amount of available energy in the local environment, life
will eventually arise.

No, it doesn't come from nothing. But every building block of life can be made from simple
chemicals that are naturally occuring. Amino acids and proteins. Combinations of them meet
and chemically bond, and some are more durable and robust than other combinations, and the
more durable ones last long enough for more changes to occur, some of which enhance the
survivability of this little chemical package. As time goes on, it gets more and more
complex and more and more durable every time. Eventually, it starts chemically interacting
with its environment, and at some point, it develops the attributes that we call life.
Self organizing, capable of ensuring its survival, and capable of producing more of its own kind.

The intelligent design theory is wishful thinking. It tries to give the credit for some of nature's
best works to a higher being. It's bunk. It's far more impressive that those best works
occurred naturally anyway. And they are abundant proof of the power of the self organizing
features of life, that some can't believe it could happen on its own.

CJ

Ah, a blind follower of Miller and Urey's experiment.

An experiment that simulated an atmosphere that could not have existed even according to science's understanding of the earth's atmosphere of when the first cell supposedlly formed.

Oh, and it yielded an amino acid. But that amino acid is not one that was ever contained in any kind of known living cell.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:22:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By garandman:

Coming from you, that is HILARIOUS.

YOu want me to PROVE God, and you deny faith as a legitimate answer, but when its YOUR crap theories, suddenly "not everything needs a reason."

Dude.....

You are gonna be hearing that phrase ALOT in the future.

[Driftpunch]"Not everything needs a reason...."[/driftpunch]

Please stop inhaling the glue vapors from your bible spine.

NOTHING I have said is conflicts with what I have said before. I'm not quite sure how you were able to equate the concept of "things just are, they don't have a purpose" with the concept of faith on my part. In fact, the opposite of what I said, the belief that something exists for a big or small 'purpose', demands such faith.

However, with respect to the 'phrase', please repeat it as often as you like.
Top Top