I was bored, went lookin' and found this:
(bold areas by me)
Democratic Underground needs volunteers to serve as moderators! (Sep 20th 2005)
Please read this message carefully -- the moderator application process has changed. Failure to properly follow instructions will disqualify you to serve as a moderator.
The current moderator term ends soon, and we're looking for volunteers to help us out for the next term. DU is bigger and busier than ever and we're looking for dedicated people who have a little extra time on their hands.
The next moderator term will last three months, from the beginning of October until the Beginning of January. The term includes the holiday season!
Here are some things to bear in mind before you apply:
- Your political ideology is not important... We need centrists and leftists and everyone in between to serve as moderators.
- We prefer people who have been members for a while, and have made at least a few hundred posts. You must be at least 18 years old. You must have donated at least one time to Democratic Underground using your own name.
- You must be able to log on to DU regularly, and should not take any long vacations between now and the beginning of January.
- We prefer people with a generally positive outlook on life, who can be fair and evenhanded, and who don't get easily frustrated. If you sign up to moderate, we expect you to stay as a moderator for the full term. You must understand that it is perfectly normal for the admins to occasionally overturn your decisions, or to make specific requests regarding the manner in which you participate on DU while you are a moderator.
- We prefer that moderators avoid highly controversial topics, or at least moderate their behavior significantly when participating in such discussions. If you have a history of rhetorically hot postings on controversial issues, we may not choose you to serve.
- If you know that you aren't very good at controlling your behavior or your emotions, or if you know that you can't be fair to a particular group of people, please do not sign up to be a moderator. There is no obligation to serve as a mod, and we won't hold it against you if you choose not to.
Here's how to volunteer:
STEP 1: FILL OUT, SIGN, AND SNAIL MAIL THE MODERATOR CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
IMPORTANT! If you mailed us the form three months ago, you will need to mail it again. The form was updated on August 26, 2005, and we need the most recent version from all of our moderators.
The moderator confidentiality agreement is here:
Double-check to make sure the page says "Updated August 26, 2005." That way you will know that you are looking at the correct form. If it doesn't say that, click reload/refresh on your browser to reload the page.
Fill it out and send it in to the address provided ASAP. We hope to receive completed forms from all applicants *before* the new moderator term begins on October 4, 2005 -- two weeks from today. If we do not receive your form before that date, we may not be able to give you access to the moderator forum at the beginning of the moderator term.
We will keep the moderator confidentiality agreement forms on file in our office, so once you mail us the form you will not have to send it again if you apply to serve in future terms. (This time, we promise.)
STEP 2: SEND US AN APPLICATION EMAIL WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the word "moderator" in the subject line. By volunteering to serve as a moderator, you are giving us permission to take all necessary measures to verify your identity. Include the following information:
- Your real name
- Your forum username
- Your address
- Your telephone number
- How much time you spend on Democratic Underground
- Which forums you'd like to moderate, or would not like to moderate (if you have a preference)
- A brief statement which generally outlines your political views
- Are you taking any extended vacations during the the next three months?
- Have you read, and do you agree to follow, the Message Board Rules and the Moderator Guidelines?
- Have you filled out, signed, and mailed the Moderator Confidentiality Agreement (Updated August 26, 2005)?
If you apply but are not selected this time, please don't be offended. We typically have a fairly large number of applicants, and we obviously can't pick everyone who applies.
We hope to select a new group of moderators on Tuesday evening, October 4, 2005. There will be a free conference call for the new moderators on the following night (Wednesday).
I would throw my hat into the ring............
But I was banned a long time ago....
Saw that too. I think their mods got caught up in Homecoming activities
1. Donor list with real names? I'm sure that the IRS, FEC, and ourselves would be very interested in that.
2. What the hell are they cooking up between now and January?
I'm sure that one of us has a respected enough account over there that they could answer those questions... as well as delete all posts and ban all users.
I would, but I'm not donating money to DUh
- If you know that you aren't very good at controlling your behavior or your emotions, or if you know that you can't be fair to a particular group of people, please do not sign up to be a moderator.
Did we not have a member here have his account locked for almost nothing? I think they need to practice what they preach.
Soooo.....Centrist would be Rosie Odonkey, and leftist would be who? Stalin? It would fit their moderation strategy.
Get locked? They delete your username as well as your text! Just like Uncle Joe...
Hmmm, I would try but that site gives me headaches, I cannot last 1 post without getting banned and deleted, and well, I woudl just as son EMP the whole group (to kill the computers and hopefully make the whole bunch of them sterile)
I can't log on to apply...I was locked after 1 post a few months back.
Get a free Yahoo mail address or GMAIL
I do it every so often and get back on.