Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:45 PM EDT
California Officer's Death Lets DUI Suspects Off Hook
Story by kcra.com

The death of a Rocklin police officer means some Placer County DUI suspects are now off the hook.

Officer Matthew Redding, a four-year veteran of the Rocklin Police Department, was conducting traffic control on Highway 65 near Stanford Ranch Road on the morning of Oct. 9, when a suspected drunken driver struck him.

All of the DUI citations Redding handed out in the months leading up the crash may be in vain because without his testimony, some of the suspects will be getting off.

"It's extremely frustrating that someone who fought so hard to make the streets safe getting DUI drivers off the road, all of his cases are in jeopardy now because he was killed by a DUI driver," said Deputy District Attorney Stephanie Macumber.

Prosecutors estimated that Redding played a role in 80 open cases. If the case can't be made without his testimony, it will be dismissed or declined. So far, seven cases have been dropped.

Placer County public defender Benjamin Adams points out that under the Fourth Amendment, prosecutors have to show that an arrest is lawful, and that without an arresting officer, the case can fall apart.

"As a public defender, I have a constitutional responsibility to my clients that I take seriously," Adams said. "We don't circumvent the United States Constitution because of one tragic accident."

In 2004, Mothers Against Drunk Driving recognized Redding for aggressively going after drunken drivers. In 2003, he made 25 DUI arrests.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:18:03 PM EDT
Irony++
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:55:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Irony++

"If there is a GOD he has a sick sense of humor."
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:27:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 7:28:08 PM EDT by Special-K]
Damn. That really sucks. Like REALLY sucks.

-K
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:34:58 PM EDT
Irony? I just don't see it. The guilty will now skate out on deserved punishment.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:49:17 PM EDT
He will beat their asses in the afterlife, where there is no such thing as Internal Affairs. Godspeed, officer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:53:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Polydude:
Irony? I just don't see it. The guilty will now skate out on deserved punishment.

Concentrating the majority of your work hours arresting drunk drivers only to be killed by a drunk driver is not ironic?
Top Top