9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2005 1:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 1:02:26 PM EDT by AssaultRifler]
Women Face DUI Charges For Pushing Car
http://www.wral.com/irresistible/4774278/detail.html

POSTED: 7:51 am EDT July 27, 2005

PORTAGE, Ind. -- Drunken driving can also be drunken pushing -- at least to police in Portage, Ind.

Kaylyn Kezy and Melissa Fredenburg both face DUI charges after the car they were pushing crashed into a parked car. Police said the women took turns pushing the non-running car while the other steered.

After the accident, officers said both women tested with a blood-alcohol level more than twice the legal limit.

Prosecutor Adam Burroughs admitted the case might be a tough one to prove in court. But he noted that the women were in effect operating the vehicle -- even though the car wasn't running at the time.

Pushing Under Influence, not driving
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:02:54 PM EDT
Might face public intoxication - would stick better IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:03:47 PM EDT
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:04:33 PM EDT
10-56 - Intoxicated pedestrian.

Of course, I've heard of PD's getting convictions on guys drinking beers while listening to the car radio with the key in the ignition, so... (may be urban legend)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 1:12:30 PM EDT by OBird]
Well, technically they were operating a motor vehicle, and they did hit someone else's car. Only difference from normal instances is speed/source of power, neither of which really matters DUI/DWI cases. Does the fact that they were using (wo)manpower as opposed to gasoline, and going 5 mph instead of 50 really matter? They were still twice the legal limit and they still caused damage to another vehicle.

As far as I know, there are no provisions in DUI/DWI laws that say "operating a motor vehicle while drunk is legal under [insert speed here]" or "operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol shall not be considered illegal if the car is propelled by [insert power source here]"...

Would you prefer they got off scot free?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:06:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
Police said the women took turns pushing the non-running car while the other steered.

In my state steering a car that is being pushed, or is even rolling on a grade, is considered "driving" for purposes of DUI.

The big issue is how did two drunks find themselves in and around a disabled vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:08:19 PM EDT
Nah, that's a great bust. They were "operating" the vehicle, which is all that's required. Steering it down the street, right into a parked car.

Geez, you think they were drunk? You think they were a hazard? I sure do. Oh, wait, the parked car probably jumped out in front of them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:10:12 PM EDT
I'm cool with it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:14:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tango7:

Of course, I've heard of PD's getting convictions on guys drinking beers while listening to the car radio with the key in the ignition, so... (may be urban legend)

Nope not urban legend.... My best friends little brother was convicted last summer of DUI while asleep in the back seat on the side of the road. The car was shutoff but the keys were in the ignition so the charges stuck.

The really shitty part was this guy started driving home but realized he was too impaired so he pulled over to sleep it off . He went about a block and a half before stopping. Then Bang....this asshole cop wakes him up to haul him to jail and judge practically crucified the guy.

I'm not saying the guy was right or anything like that. Hell I called him a dumbass to his face for drinking and driving in the first place.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:20:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 1:32:31 PM EDT by EPOCH96]
Before:

After:

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 1:27:46 PM EDT by AR15fan]

Originally Posted By 1MissouriMule:

Nope not urban legend.... My best friends little brother was convicted last summer of DUI while asleep in the back seat on the side of the road. The car was shutoff but the keys were in the ignition so the charges stuck.

I have arrested drunks who were found seated in the drivers seat, without any actual observed driving. The most recent was a 19yo who I found sitting in the gas station parking lot, behind the wheel with the keys in his pocket. he admitted he was drinking at a party, drove to the gas station to buy cigarettes, and was going to drive back to the party. His passeger confirmed the story. That's a lawfull DUI arrest in my state even though i never saw him drive. Based on the scenario, and the driver and passenger's statements, I had PC to believe the driver had committed the crime of driving under the influence.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:23:58 PM EDT
Here's a direct quote from our post arrest chemical test advisement.

"You are under arrest for operating or being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcoholic liquor or drugs..."

Many people have been arrested and convicted of sitting drunk in the driver's seat of a running car in a parking lot listening to the radio or warming up from the heater.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:24:13 PM EDT

The really shitty part was this guy started driving home but realized he was too impaired so he pulled over to sleep it off . He went about a block and a half before stopping. Then Bang....this asshole cop wakes him up to haul him to jail and judge practically crucified the guy.

I'm not saying the guy was right or anything like that. Hell I called him a dumbass to his face for drinking and driving in the first place.

Why is the Cop an asshole if your friend had been drinking and driving?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:26:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

I have arrested rrunks who were found seated in the drivers seat. the most recent was a 19yo who I found sitting in the gas station parking lot, behind the wheel with the keys in his pocket. he admitted he was drinking at a party, drove to the gas station to buy cigarettes, and was going to drive back to the party. His passeger confirmed the story. That's a lawfull DUI arrest in my state even though i never saw him drive. Based on the scenario, and the driver and passenger's statements, I had PC to believe the driver had committed the crime of driving under the influence.

I came up behind a truck at a T intersection. The truck was just sitting there. I honked my horn. Nothing. I get out walk up to the driver door. Some chick passed out cold. Truck running, in park.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:29:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

+1

Just take a look at those pics in the thread. I've seen too many people die or messed up. Try pulling a 18yr. old girl out of a hunk of metal that use to be a car after a DD t-boned her. In my opinion it is the drunk driver or anyone else who defends him that is the ASSHOLE!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:29:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EPOCH96:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/drunkdriver.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/drunk1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/drunk2.jpg

Jesus, thanks for that.

Someone might want to put a <<Warning Graphic>> in the title.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:33:52 PM EDT
I believe the "D" in DUI stands for "driving", does it not???
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:37:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:

+1

Just take a look at those pics in the thread. I've seen too many people die or messed up. Try pulling a 18yr. old girl out of a hunk of metal that use to be a car after a DD t-boned her. In my opinion it is the drunk driver or anyone else who defends him that is the ASSHOLE!

Sounds to me like the driver made a good decision. He realized he was impaired and stopped. Now I don't know what "crucified" means in this context, but I think he should have gotten a very minimal sentence if anything because he STOPPED driving when he realized he was impaired.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:39:03 PM EDT
The two "ladies" were operating the vehicle on the road. Charge them with DUI which covers operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Also charge them with any other statute that encompasses being stupid and drunk enough to pull off this stunt.

If these idiots crashed their vehicle into my parked car, I wouldn't feel any less upset because they were pushing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:39:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:

No, because there's no such thing as "DUI". It's technically "OWI", which is Operating While Intoxicated. They were operating their vehicle. Having the keys in the ignition is operating, even if you're passed out behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:41:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZW17:

Jesus, thanks for that.

Imagine how that lady feels every morning when she looks into the mirror and sees that looking back. She can't escape with a graphic warning.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:41:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZW17:

Jesus, thanks for that.

Not everyone that gets hit by some moron gabbing on their cellphone and not paying attention gets out intact either - where are the pictures of their victims? How about people that are run over by trucks with bad brakes? (Not excusing drunk driving, just that it is PC to single out one group while letting the other 60% off)

As for the kid who realized he was to drunk and pulled over, that cop nailing him just convinced every other kid that even if they do realize they are too fucked up that they better try to make it home or get busted.

(Not excusing DUI, just being realistic that kids will drink. I'd rather have them pull over & sleep it off than try to make it home)
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:42:19 PM EDT
In this state you don't have to be driving or even that close to the car. I posted about this here just after it happened. A coworker was arrested for DUI when he to his car to get his cellphone before riding home with his neighbor. He was in our parking lot (private property) . I still can't believe he was found guilty of DUI considering he wasn't driving when he was arrested and was on private property. He had his truck taken by the police, and in affect, had it stolen from him because the towing fees and storage fees ended-up costing more than it was worth. He was very depressed for a couple of weeks after having to sign the title over to pay the fees. I saw this guy go from a good, responsible worker to almost ready to kill himself over this incident. Thankfully for his kids, I found him another job where he didn't have to drive. We have the overzealous cops and legal system to thank for this crap.z
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:43:16 PM EDT

The D stands for Dollars, which is what the whole game is about. Get those grants for checkpoints, get those promotions for meeting quotas, get those kickbacks from lawyers.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:43:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 1:45:40 PM EDT by tommytrauma]
Nevermind. OBE.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:45:30 PM EDT
Let's see here:

Two drunk women were operating a motor vehicle in a very unconventional and unsafe manner on public roads while managing to hit a parked car. What's the problem here? Sounds like a DUI to me. What difference does it make if the motor was running? Two drunk idiots were responsible for moving 2 tons of steel down the street and into another car.

How can you fuck up something so simple? Easy. Do it drunk off your ass. The cops did right, as far as I'm concerened.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:48:08 PM EDT
Our law says "DRIVING". Hell, we cant convict them anyway.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:49:47 PM EDT

I'm cool with it.

then you should be cool with them banning all "evil style" guns, simply because one nutjob goes on a rampage with one..........pushing a car drunk, hardly calls for charging them with DUI, public intoxication maybe, but DUI is just plain rediculous. society has been so brainwashed by groups like MADD, anti-gun groups, with it's tear jerking posters, and TV ads, that anything to do with alcohol and a motor vehicle, is automatically assumed to be evil and should be charged as a DUI.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:51:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mobius:

then you should be cool with them banning all "evil style" guns, simply because one nutjob goes on a rampage with one..........pushing a car drunk, hardly calls for charging them with DUI, public intoxication maybe, but DUI is just plain rediculous. society has been so brainwashed by groups like MADD, anti-gun groups, with it's tear jerking posters, and TV ads, that anything to do with alcohol and a motor vehicle, is automatically assumed to be evil and should be charged as a DUI.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:51:51 PM EDT

anything to do with alcohol and a motor vehicle, is automatically assumed to be evil and should be charged as a DUI.

That sums it up nicely

But why should "public intoxication" be against the law? It's not here
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:52:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Merrell:

The D stands for Dollars, which is what the whole game is about. Get those grants for checkpoints, get those promotions for meeting quotas, get those kickbacks from lawyers.

You crack me up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:53:10 PM EDT

I'm cool with it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:54:07 PM EDT
Like stated, here it's a DUI. "Operating" is the keyword.

That DUI victim... Wow.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 1:55:39 PM EDT by EPOCH96]

I'm cool with it.

Good ol'Mobius Don't stare children, it's impolite....

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:56:59 PM EDT
Every cop should know that operation of a motor vehicle begins w/ the keys in the ignition......for these women to "steer" this vehicle it would have to be operated(key placed in the ignition)....hence the DUI charge.....granted its stupid,but arent a lot of laws.....tech,this charge is accurate:they should be allowed to plea to something lessin my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:57:05 PM EDT

You crack me up.

oh come on, some kid realizes he is too drunk to drive so he pulls over. Take his keys and give him a ticket for illegal parking or something but don't fuck him over for the rest of his life. DUI is considered worse than pedophilia in this society, one of my childhood buddies got a DUI back in the early 80's (didn't hit anything or kill anyone) and twenty years later he changes careers and gets his teaching degree and nobody will hire him because of something that happened 20 years ago. He learned his lesson back then, but by god MADD and everyone else will make him pay forever, just like some poor dumb kid who tried to do the right thing but some jerk decided he wanted to be cop of the month and bust him for sleeping under the influence. Bravo.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:58:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glenn_r:

anything to do with alcohol and a motor vehicle, is automatically assumed to be evil and should be charged as a DUI.

That sums it up nicely

But why should "public intoxication" be against the law? It's not here

It's not illegal to be intoxicated in public here either. It is illegal to be drunk to the point of being unable to care for yourself. it's not an arrestable offense though. The cops just babysit you till your sober enough to not stagger into traffic then issue you a citation.

Eventually the laws for "drunk" driving will be like the zero tolence laws in Cali for those under 21. It will be unlawfull to drive with any measurable amount of alcohol in your sytem, period.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 1:59:48 PM EDT by mobius]

I'm cool with it.

laugh all you want.........but when another anti-gun bill gets passed, just remember they did it to keep society safe.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:59:45 PM EDT

You crack me up.

oh come on, some kid realizes he is too drunk to drive so he pulls over (After he's already driven how far?). Take his keys and give him a ticket for illegal parking or something but don't fuck him over for the rest of his life. DUI is considered worse than pedophilia in this society, one of my childhood buddies got a DUI back in the early 80's (didn't hit anything or kill anyone)(Yeah, I should feel better because he didn't?) and twenty years later he changes careers and gets his teaching degree and nobody will hire him because of something that happened 20 years ago. He learned his lesson back then, but by god MADD and everyone else will make him pay forever, just like some poor dumb kid who tried to do the right thing (right thing was calling a fucking cab asshole) but some jerk decided he wanted to be cop of the month and bust him for sleeping under the influence. Bravo.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:02:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 2:03:17 PM EDT by mobius]

img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/Jbays/supertard.jpg

so that is what you look like EPOCH96, you look real cool in your outfit
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:03:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OBird:
Well, technically they were operating a motor vehicle, and they did hit someone else's car. Only difference from normal instances is speed/source of power, neither of which really matters DUI/DWI cases. Does the fact that they were using (wo)manpower as opposed to gasoline, and going 5 mph instead of 50 really matter? They were still twice the legal limit and they still caused damage to another vehicle.

As far as I know, there are no provisions in DUI/DWI laws that say "operating a motor vehicle while drunk is legal under [insert speed here]" or "operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol shall not be considered illegal if the car is propelled by [insert power source here]"...

Get off scott free for pushing a disabled car? While DRUNK? Perish the thought. The law should always be applied blindly and without the use of reason or what the troglodytes call "common sense." To do otherwise would be doubleplus ungood.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:04:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 2:06:31 PM EDT by Bama-Shooter]

You crack me up.

oh come on, some kid realizes he is too drunk to drive so he pulls over. Take his keys and give him a ticket for illegal parking or something but don't fuck him over for the rest of his life. DUI is considered worse than pedophilia in this society, one of my childhood buddies got a DUI back in the early 80's (didn't hit anything or kill anyone) and twenty years later he changes careers and gets his teaching degree and nobody will hire him because of something that happened 20 years ago. He learned his lesson back then, but by god MADD and everyone else will make him pay forever, just like some poor dumb kid who tried to do the right thing but some jerk decided he wanted to be cop of the month and bust him for sleeping under the influence. Bravo.

And your friend can get his record cleaned up. It's not that hard.

I was laughing at your comment. The D stands for dollars.

ETA: The comment about realising he's driving drunk then pulls over, is kind of like the person who is caught speeding, jams their breaks down to less than half the speed limit and get pissed when they still get the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:05:37 PM EDT

You crack me up.

oh come on, some kid realizes he is too drunk to drive so he pulls over (After he's already driven how far?). Take his keys and give him a ticket for illegal parking or something but don't fuck him over for the rest of his life. DUI is considered worse than pedophilia in this society, one of my childhood buddies got a DUI back in the early 80's (didn't hit anything or kill anyone)(Yeah, I should feel better because he didn't?) and twenty years later he changes careers and gets his teaching degree and nobody will hire him because of something that happened 20 years ago. He learned his lesson back then, but by god MADD and everyone else will make him pay forever, just like some poor dumb kid who tried to do the right thing (right thing was calling a fucking cab asshole) but some jerk decided he wanted to be cop of the month and bust him for sleeping under the influence. Bravo.

Yes, he should have called a cab (or shouldn't have drank if he was underage) no idea what he drank, but it is not unheard of for alcohol effects to kick in some time after the beverages were consumed. Did he screw up? Yes. Should he be crucified for trying to do the right thing once he realized he was incapable of driving safely? Guess some people think so. Of course *some* never did any such things, how nice it must have been to be the perfect child.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:05:50 PM EDT
Oh God...I can see the "not every shooting victim dies" campaign. Same radical bitches.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:05:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:

Get off scott free for pushing a disabled car? While DRUNK? Perish the thought.

You left out the part about causing a traffic collision.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:07:39 PM EDT

I'm cool with it.

laugh all you want.........but when another anti-gun bill gets passed, just remember they did it to keep society safe.

Not everything revolves around gun rights.

The stores must be running low on tinfoil today.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 2:09:38 PM EDT by Merrell]

And your friend can get his record cleaned up. It's not that hard.

He's spent several thousand dollars and something like 3 or 4 years trying (think the Governor or somebody has to sign off on it, will have to ask him) - same guy whose ex-wife stabbed him with a fork - talk about a tough life

I was laughing at your comment. The D stands for dollars.
I try to keep my baseless generalizations humorous when possible.

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:14:10 PM EDT
They probably just left the casino.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:16:22 PM EDT

For which they are civilly liable, same as if they had dropped a cooler full of beer through the widnshield while walking drunk. BFD. Or are you advocating criminal sanctions for all negligent and reckless conduct ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:17:40 PM EDT

Not up here it is not, if you are intoxicated and the key is in the ignition (and in at least 3 cases in your possession) you can and will be charged....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2005 2:22:03 PM EDT by AR15fan]

For which they are civilly liable, same as if they had dropped a cooler full of beer through the widnshield while walking drunk. BFD. Or are you advocating criminal sanctions for all negligent and reckless conduct ?

Nope only those involving intoxication and automobiles. Are you advocating it should be lawfull for two drunks to push or coast their car home from the bar on the public's streets?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top