Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/20/2004 8:56:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 8:57:33 PM EST by Silver_Surfer]
After a big night of drinking & eating sushi my buddies dropped me off at my truck(we car pooled from his shop). I knew I had way too much to drink sooo I deceided to start my enging, turn on the A/C & crashed for about 4hrs I woke up at about 5am & drove home. Later sunday at our IPSC match I was talking to some of my Police/Sheriff friends they told me I could have been arested for a DUI because I was in control of my vehicle even if I thought I was doing the right thing by not driving. I cant understand the laws nowadays.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:01:46 PM EST
I *think* I remember a story from awhile ago where someone was busted for DUI doing the same thing even though the car was off and the keys were in the back seat.

I think it's total and complete BULLSHIT! Now we're busting people when they show some self-restraint and discretion.

Sorry, but we've all become criminals in the eyes of the State, it just depends when and for what they want to bust you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:05:25 PM EST
This isn't another cop bashing thread is it?

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:05:42 PM EST
"Back in the day" I had a buddy who got a DUI passed out at a stop sign! At least he managed to have the stick in neutral.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:08:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:

By all means NO!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:08:58 PM EST
I knew a guy many years ago that wrecked his brothers pick-up truck while driving drunk. Between the time he crashed and the cops got there he had gotten out of the truck and passed out in the bushes. They found and arrested him... for Public Intoxication. Couldn't write him for DUI, there was no way to prove he was driving the truck. A lot of laws have changed since then to limit this kind of loophole. In most states nowadays you would have gone to jail on a DUI if you were caught.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:11:02 PM EST
They seem to keep coming down harder and harder on DUIs, considering it doesnt take that much to get one
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:19:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:

Nope, this one's more of a .gov/legislative basher.

For which we have only ourselves to blame.

A drunk, with enough sense NOT to drive should NOT be charged with D.riving U.nder the I.fluence. That seems like a reasonable statement to me.

You'd think they'd need to be DRIVING. Yet he was guilty, technically.

The exception is the guy passed out at the stop sign. Could the law please dictate some intelligence and discretion on the part of the officer. With the hope they'd have enough sense to recognize the two different scenarios.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:21:46 PM EST
If your in the car and in possesion of the keys you are guilty of DUI, shitty, but its the law
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:31:28 PM EST
Guys I know of crashed into a tree and then afraid of a DUI wandered around the woods for hours bleeding.
Top Top