Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 11:47:49 PM EDT
Does the DSL modem generate a dial tone or is that "provided" by the local phone company.

For some odd reason, I always thought that a DSL modem made the dial tone for the phones connected to it.

Need help.

Can connect to the internet, just no dial tone to my phones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Do all your phones have DSL filters on them? That's the first thing I would check.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Plug your phone into a different jack.  Or use a DSL splitter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Plug your phone into a different jack.  Or use a DSL splitter filter
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do all your phones have DSL filters on them? That's the first thing I would check.
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
dsl uses a frequency that is higher then what we humans can here. basically we can here tones from 30hz all the way to around 20k hz. what dsl dose is use something higher like 50k-100k hz to transfer data. you need a filter to separate the channels between what the the phone needs and the dsl modem.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Try unplugging everything but one unfiltered phone to see if you can get a dial tone. If you still aren't getting a tone it could be a problem on the phone company's end.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For some odd reason, I always thought that a DSL modem made the dial tone for the phones connected to it.
View Quote

Nope.

The dial tone is generated by the phone company.

The DSL modem is only "interested" in frequencies well above the audio range. It really couldn't care less what the phone company is doing down in the audible frequency range (including the presence or absence of a dial tone).

If you're not getting a dial tone, don't blame the DSL modem - Look for a poor connection on the phone line, an off-the-hook phone somewhere, or missing/improperly installed DSL signal blockers.

Also, some DSL service providers can provide internet service through a "dead" phone line - i.e., a line that doesn't have phone service. So, if you haven't paid your phone bill in a while...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:01:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Switch to pulse dialing.
My friend told the phone company to deleate any extra shit from his phone bill.   They deleated dialtone.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Try unplugging everything but one unfiltered phone to see if you can get a dial tone. If you still aren't getting a tone it could be a problem on the phone company's end.
View Quote

JB,
I even went outside to the main junction box and plugged a phone in there. Still no dial tone.

I tried another phone. No dial tone.

That is why I am asking about the modem generating a dial tone or if a dial tone is "provided"  by the phone company when using DSL.

Years ago, had ISDN. The modem "Made" the dial tone. I am not sure how DSL works. Is it the same or different in that respect?

I bought another modem tonight. STILL, no dial tone.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope.

The DSL modem is only "interested" in frequencies well above the audio range. It really couldn't care less what the phone company is doing down in the audible frequency range (including the presence or absence of a dial tone).

If you're not getting a dial tone, don't blame the DSL modem - Look for a poor connection on the phone line, an off-the-hook phone somewhere, or missing/improperly installed DSL signal blockers.

Also, some DSL service providers can provide internet service through a "dead" phone line - i.e., a line that doesn't have phone service. So, if you haven't paid your phone bill in a while...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Bill is paid.

Thank you for your info. Now I am getting somewhere.

I don`t even have DT in the box coming from the pole.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Bill is paid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Bill is paid.

Switch to pulse dialing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#12]
What happens when you call your number?  Does it just ring and go to voice mail or just ring once then click?
The DSL signal is sent out on one side of the cable pair going to the house. It is possible for the phone to be dead (no dial tone) and the DSL still work. If you have no DT at the network interface device then there is more than likely a network problem. Call in a trouble ticket to your provider.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Dial tone comes from the central office. A phone works on a DC circuit using 2 wires with an AC signal of 300-3000hz modulated  on it. A DSL modem uses a high frequency signal that may still pass if one side of the circuit is open killing the dial tone. The filters remove the DSL signal before the sets.

A phone line with no voice capability and only DSL is called a Dry Loop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Switch to pulse dialing.
View Quote

Yep - And try dialing a few dozen digits, even if you aren't getting a dial tone.

Sometimes, the pulses are enough to "clean up" a poor connection enough to get a dial tone again.

The fix is usually only temporary, but at least it'll tell you where the problem is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#15]
We have the most rural DSL you can get in our area and we are always having phone issues, especially after a good rainstorm.  Sometimes we lose internet, sometimes phone, sometimes both.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Based on my experience, I'd go ahead and call the phone company.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does the DSL modem generate a dial tone or is that "provided" by the local phone company.

Need help.

Can connect to the internet, just no dial tone to my phones.
View Quote

Dial Tone is generated from the switch, -48VDC.

Your DSL, which is probably ADSL2+ needs practically no voltage to work, and will not provide dial tone.  This is what we call Naked DSL.

Typically, your local Telco will put "wetting current" on the line, most likely a disconnect POTS line to give the pair a -48VDC current but no usable telephone connection to resist galvanic corrosion of the copper pairs.

ADSL2+ will run from 25kHz to 2.2 MHz, all of which is out of the range of human hearing.  You can get a shit load of bandwidth and never even know it
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bill is paid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Bill is paid.

That last one meansits time to call the telco.  Ive done this kind of work in the past.  This is assuming you tested the right pair.  Dialtone comes from the central office.  Or the RT in your eighborhoood.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What happens when you call your number?  Does it just ring and go to voice mail or just ring once then click?
The DSL signal is sent out on one side of the cable pair going to the house. It is possible for the phone to be dead (no dial tone) and the DSL still work. If you have no DT at the network interface device then there is more than likely a network problem. Call in a trouble ticket to your provider.
View Quote

Constant busy signal.

Nothing else.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#20]
No.  Think of dsl filters as a high/low bypass filter.

Dial tone is provided by telco
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Constant busy signal.

Nothing else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Constant busy signal.

Nothing else.

That's disconnect tone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That last one meansits time to call the telco.  Ive done this kind of work in the past.  This is assuming you tested the right pair.  Dialtone comes from the central office.  Or the RT in your eighborhoood.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Bill is paid.

Have 2 jacks in the box. One is wired, the other, not. Plugged the phones that I had into the wired jack.

Still no joy.

Everyone that has tried to help, I sure do appreciate it!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#23]
What did the phone company say?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What did the phone company say?
View Quote

Haven`t called them yet.

Was hoping that I could fix my problem before I called them.

Been without a phone for 2 days now.

I have done all that I feel that I can do.

Call to the phone company is next from hearing advice from folks here that have suggested it so far. I am getting nowhere on my own. Need professional help at this point.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Constant busy signal.

Nothing else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Constant busy signal.

Nothing else.

Cable pair is shorted in the network. Call the network provider.
If it's Verizon I'll be there in 5 to 7 days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Constant busy signal.

Nothing else.

If it's Centurylink I'll be dispatched there 24hrs before your appointment and leave a door hanger due to no access.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top