Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 9:20:00 PM EDT
Sheared a lug on the barrel nut...used a torch to burn off any Loctite that might be on it. Put the torch on it for a good minute and a half. You could see and smell smoke as if Loctite was being burnt off. Damn thing still wouldn't budge. Now I have it in a deep freezer that is about 0 degrees, I'm going to leave it in there for 7 hours and try again. If that doesn't do it then maybe it has rockset?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Reaction rod before you jack up the upper.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  As far as I know DPMS just torques on the barrel nut.  Freeze/Thaw will likely solve it when you hit the nut again with heat.

Edit - when you say you sheared it, do you have the correct tool?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Do what I did when I couldn't get a stubborn barrel nut off my RRA.

Take it to someone who knows WTF their doing.

Seriously, torquing on an upper is bag juju.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Good taps around the circumference with a ball peen hammer.

Eta.. and Kroil
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.  As far as I know DPMS just torques on the barrel nut.  Freeze/Thaw will likely solve it when you hit the nut again with heat.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have the correct barrel nut wrench. I will try again about 0400, by then it will be in the deep freezer for 7 hours. I have never had a barrel nut this damn hard to get loose. No wonder I hate DPMS....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Get your nut off yet OP?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Righty tighty lefty loosey?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If you torch on it too long you will melt the upper.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you torch on it too long you will melt the upper.
View Quote
That too. I would use a heat gun, not a torch.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Freeze it, then hit barrel but with torch.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. Soak it. Wait a day.

If that does not work.

I had my neighbor help get mine off last month. He took a dremel, cut slots into the barrel nut. Did not hit the upper receiver threads!

Impressive Marine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. Soak it. Wait a day.

If that does not work.

I had my neighbor help get mine off last month. He took a dremel, cut slots into the barrel nut. Did not hit the upper receiver threads!

Impressive Marine.
View Quote
The cool thing about this method is that you don't even have to get near the threads.  If you cut about 3/4 through the nut and then hit it with a hammer and chisel in the cut, the shock will usually break the barrel nut.  Once cracked, it should spin off.  

I've had to do this to a few DPMS uppers. Same method works on pressed on wheel bearings.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
When it doubt, get this out

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#14]
That doesn't sounds good, 30lbs of torque shouldn't be anymore then a slight bump.

I'd say heat it up, and use a 36" pipe wrench, no way its going to hold with that. You're going to chew the barrel nut up but it will be covered regardless or you can simply buy another.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]
At least it wasn't hand tight.  I sold a friend an upper that I bought 7 years ago or so (before PSA was on the scene, lol) because I didn't shoot it much.  He brought it to me with one of those punisher dust covers and asked me to help him install it.  I took the gas tube out of the upper and noticed the barrel nut turn as I was slipping the USGI barrel nut wrench in place!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do not do this.  Use a proper action block and insert or a barrel vice.

Put the barreled upper in the freezer for 60 min, then fixture it, then apply heat to the barrel nut - remove the nut while applying heat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Dremel   that 10 buck nut,  what's you're time worth
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Get your nut off yet OP?
View Quote
Giggity

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Giggity  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get your nut off yet OP?
Giggity  

It does suck when you can't bust a nut.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I should have said the upper was in a action block and vice. That damn thing is on there good! I have a few hours more in the freezer and if that doesn't work I will soak it in acetone and tranny fluid.Did I mention that I hate DPMS? I would have told the friend not to buy it had he told me he was getting one...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#21]
If I recall correctly 60-90 pounds is standard torque value for installing one. Did you measure how much you were applying?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If I recall correctly 60-90 pounds is standard torque value for installing one. Did you measure how much you were applying?
View Quote

30-80 ft lbs

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good taps around the circumference with a ball peen hammer.

Eta.. and Kroil
View Quote

Coming here to say Kroil it too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:57:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Did you take off your gas tube yet?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Put the barreled upper in the freezer for 60 min, then fixture it, then apply heat to the barrel nut - remove the nut while applying heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Not sure if serious...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Freezing it worked, it didn't take much to get it off. Lesson learned. ...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Clamshell receiver block is far more stable and less likely to damage the components.

As the nut is toast anyway, just get a pipe wrench and use your man hands to crank the nut off.  Use a cheater bar if you need to.  

Easy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Anyone saying to not use a reaction rod does not know their shit.

A reaction rod keeps the torsion of the upper. If you're putting more than 40-50 ft/lbs on the upper, you're doing it wrong. All barrel work I do is with the upper in the reaction rod.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A reaction rod keeps the torsion of the upper. If you're putting more than 40-50 ft/lbs on the upper, you're doing it wrong. All barrel work I do is with the upper in the reaction rod.
View Quote

Reaction Rod is for muzzle device installation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Barrel vise is the proper way, I've had more then one build where the barrel nut needed 70+ ft/lbs for the nut to index properly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reaction rods only exist because of muzzle device installs on guns with rails that cover the barrel.

The technical answer is a barrel vice.

The next best solution is a clamshell for the receiver.

The worst solution is a reaction rod that transfers 100% of the stress to the index pin.  There are examples of that pin breaking, shifting, or otherwise allowing the barrel extension to move.

Reaction rods are a bad piece of kit.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

there are a few professional builders on this site who say exactly what everyone else is saying.

a block for barrels, reaction rods for muzzle devices.

Yes, I have both
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dremel   that 10 buck nut,  what's you're time worth
View Quote

This.

Cut groves In it, split it with chisel.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

there are a few professional builders on this site who say exactly what everyone else is saying.

Yes, I have both
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have both

MAGPUL's BEV Block is the best of both worlds, locks the barrel extension while also locking in on the receiver's front lug and uses a Bolt Carrier to stabilize it all.  I have started using one and havent had any issues.

I will also add that I have sheared 1 indexing pin off a barrel and displaced a second with the use of a Reaction rod.  I have learned my lesson
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did you take off your gas tube yet?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Geissele reaction rod will fuck up a upper and barrel if the nut is over torqued.

That's why they modified it to dig into the inside of the upper to hold it if the nut is stuck.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#38]
The Geissele reaction rod or it's new variant the Super Reaction Rod are acceptable for barrel nuts.

Just make sure to aeroshell/anti-seize the threads and if you're removing the barrel nut, your barrel nut wrench should contact as much surface area of that barrel nut as possible.  Distribution of torque to that barrel nut is key.  I don't want to transfer torque to the upper receiver's lugs so get something which grabs the barrel extension.  They're torqued to 150ft-lbs +/- 5lbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top