Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2009 1:09:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 1:09:48 PM EST by lloydkristmas]
Girlfriend and I went for a champagne run last night, got back in her car, and the thing wouldnt start. Lights come on, AC, Music, everything, but the thing just wont start. This one year old, $80,000 car is a POS and has proven to be one on many occasions. Retractable hard top is finicky, tires wont hold air, lots of electronic issues, GPS craps out, blah blah blah

For the 1% of you that would actually consider buying a car like this, dont. Buy a Honda and $50,000 worth of weapons and ammo instead.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:14:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 1:15:34 PM EST by Apollos]
noted...

edit: I don't make anywhere near enough money to even consider buying a car like that...not yet anyway
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:14:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By lloydkristmas:
Girlfriend and I went for a champagne run last night, got back in her car, and the thing wouldnt start. Lights come on, AC, Music, everything, but the thing just wont start. This one year old, $80,000 car is a POS and has proven to be one on many occasions. Retractable hard top is finicky, tires wont hold air, lots of electronic issues, GPS craps out, blah blah blah

For the 1% of you that would actually consider buying a car like this, dont. Buy a Honda and $50,000 worth of weapons and ammo instead.

Should have gotten a BMW.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:16:37 PM EST
Lack the funds to buy anything made in Germany
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:17:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

Or a Land Rover! then you know its going to break down!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:17:47 PM EST

It's not like BMWs are renowned for their reliability.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:18:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

I think LR and Jaguar are by far the worst of the "luxury" cars when it comes to reliability.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:18:40 PM EST

+1 BMW ftw
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:18:55 PM EST

Yeah, wait till you loose a headlight, trans or head gasket in a 745i.....then call me.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:18:59 PM EST
I liked MB better when they made German cars. Oh but look, we bought Chrysler now we got 37 cupholders!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:19:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By Apollos:
noted...

edit: I don't make anywhere near enough money to even consider buying a car like that...not yet anyway

This is what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:20:51 PM EST

They have been in this household for the last 12 years!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:21:24 PM EST
How do you pull a boat with one of those things anyway?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:21:47 PM EST
MB used to be a good quality car, but after the Chrysler debacle, they seemed to have gone downhill. CU has numerous black marks on the recent MB vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:22:11 PM EST

I think LR and Jaguar are by far the worst of the "luxury" cars when it comes to reliability.

The only luxury cars that are actually reliable are the Japanese luxury brands (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti).

BMW is better than Mercedes, LR, and Jaguar, but they're still not what I would call reliable.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:22:12 PM EST

EXACTLY what I was going to post.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:22:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By WhackyPlague:

I had a M roadster, put 60K miles on it and only had to change the tires, brakes, oil, and filters

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:22:56 PM EST
Cant afford SL500? check

Dont go on champagne runs? check

Own a cheap POS that gets me to work and back? check

saving to buy a house? priceless

J.K. man that kind of sucks
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:23:00 PM EST

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:23:21 PM EST

Something tells me you've never owned one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:25:49 PM EST

Not anymore. Over the last few years both have gotten A LOT better.

90's and before LR and Jags were the worst around though.

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British manufacture"
-bumpersticker on an LSU professor's '92-era Jag
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:27:04 PM EST
That's a shame about that I do know more than a few folks with them and that have had zero problems. My wife really likes them and really wanted one until the Audi R8 came out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:28:34 PM EST

We have a BMW 750IL that has had some major pricey fixes but still love that car. Probably my all time favorite. the one we had before kept wife and I alive and not even scratched getting hit head on by a drunk college chick in an older Jeep Wagoneer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:28:43 PM EST
alrighty then...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:29:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By NataSS:

Yeah, wait till you loose a headlight, trans or head gasket in a 745i.....then call me.

Actually the person to call at that point is me. Factory trained BMW tech right here. And yes the E64-5 are some of the biggest turds every to come out of Bavaria. Mainly due to electrical though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:30:10 PM EST

Or anything happens to the one of two 6 cylinders that make up our 750IL. 9 K for an intake replacement. 5K water pump blown with damage to engine. and more.. But I am starting to cry.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:31:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ragin_Cajun:

Not anymore. Over the last few years both have gotten A LOT better.

90's and before LR and Jags were the worst around though.

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British manufacture"
-bumpersticker on an LSU professor's '92-era Jag

Jag is now owned by Tata in India.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
alrighty then...

http://www.unc.edu/~sstaff/images/pricklysharkMN.jpg

where'd you get a picture of my sister?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By BadShovelhead:

Or anything happens to the one of two 6 cylinders that make up our 750IL. 9 K for an intake replacement. 5K water pump blown with damage to engine. and more.. But I am starting to cry.

No warranty?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:51 PM EST

WOW, glad to see that the rectal mount number generating machine is working properly today.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:32:59 PM EST

We have a BMW 750IL that has had some major pricey fixes but still love that car. Probably my all time favorite. the one we had before kept wife and I alive and not even scratched getting hit head on by a drunk college chick in an older Jeep Wagoneer.

And that right there is the best reason to own a BMW. They are some of the safest vehicles on the road. Next time you open the door take a look at the bottom corner of it. That hook is there for a reason, to spread the impact from side impact to the front and rear of the car and keep the passenger compartment intact.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:34:19 PM EST
While I've never owned a MB, I've put many hours in them doing executive protection over twenty years. I've never heard the owners complain either. IMO, they are excellent vehicles. If I had the dough, I'd easily hand over $90G's for one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:35:48 PM EST
My dad's SL500 was near perfect. His only issues were normal wear parts over time. I'm not really a fan of Mercedes, personally, but I didn't find anything wrong with his.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:39:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:39:24 PM EST

Oi!....thats not nice
True though

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:40:16 PM EST
Don't worry I wont.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:40:44 PM EST
Cue Saturnstyl...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:41:05 PM EST
Its the UAWs fault.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:41:26 PM EST
On another note saw a M6 heading through town and man the exhaust note of that car gave me wood.

My Z3 has had it's share of problems due to poorly made parts but the motor itself has been going strong. The coolant systems are crap on these cars.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:41:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By StraightShooter7:

No warranty?

No its a 2001 well over the warranty
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:42:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By fosters:

Oi!....thats not nice
True though

True that I had to buy a flipping roof rack to carry all the spare parts!

Got a set of OME' 761/764's laying around?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:42:26 PM EST

Are you in Houston? There is apparently one dealership here that is getting a reputation for not being able to find problems quickly, although that seems to be mostly with the US-built ones.

And I miss the older direction of MB, before they got pimped out. But no one seems to like what I do, so I'm stuck. But by the end of the model run, the 560SL was dead nuts perfect. I like perfect. That's what you used to buy with MB.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:42:33 PM EST
Wait... you date a girl with a 80k car so you can't be a broke joke like most of us... And you can't afford a team membership?

dude....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:42:43 PM EST

Yeah....right......posted by a guy who cannot afford a $24/year membership...........I'm sure gonna make a note of your advice....NOT.

5sub
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:44:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By 5subslr5:

Yeah....right......posted by a guy who cannot afford a $24/year membership...........I'm sure gonna make a note of your advice....NOT.

5sub

HA! beat you by 10 sec!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:44:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Cue Saturnstyl...

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:44:48 PM EST
champagne run?

pimpin ain't easy
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:44:58 PM EST

dont forget the 8K for the transmission and 2.5K headlight. 3K to fix a freaking head gasket. Just replaced rotors and pads on all 4 corners.......dont ask.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:45:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By StraightShooter7:

Something tells me you've never owned one.

Dude –– until relatively recently they weren't renowned for their reliability. Something tells me that you are a lot younger than 40. In the old days, sonny, people with older BMWs used to understand that they needed to run them in pairs because one would usually be having issues. One of the big issues? Cooling, here in Texas. Not a minor point.

I don't dislike BMWs –– they do coupes better than anyone –– but they have only recently become "reliable".
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:46:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By fosters:

Oi!....thats not nice
True though

True that I had to buy a flipping roof rack to carry all the spare parts!

Got a set of OME' 761/764's laying around?

Nahh I never need spare parts with my Disco since I went through it a few years ago...nothign breaks...its as reliable as a honda...
Though now I have bragged on it its sure to die on the highway in the morning just to spite me
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:50:44 PM EST
Could you pass the grey poupon?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top