Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2006 7:53:58 PM EDT

Now just how in the HELL can a MATH test be discriminatory!???

DOJ: Police math exam discriminates against blacks, Hispanics

March 15, 2006
CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- The Chesapeake Police Department entrance exam discriminates against black and Hispanic applicants, according to a letter released Wednesday by the U.S. Department of Justice.

The findings, similar to a ruling against Virginia Beach's police department last month, stem from a discrepancy on the National Police Officer Selection Test between March 2001 and December 2005.

According to the letter, applicants needed to score at least 70 percent on the mathematics section of the test. A review of the scores showed that 57.34 percent of the black applicants passed, compared to 88.91 percent of white applicants.

The Justice Department said the test had "a significant adverse impact against both African-American applicants and Hispanic applicants." It also said that the city failed to demonstrate that its use of the mathematics test is job-related for an entry-level police officer and is necessary to do the job.
{The epitome of "dumbing down" the workforce - no longer do we want the 'best and the brightest' - just the lowest and the dumbest will do. }

City attorney Ron Hallman told The Virginian-Pilot newspaper of Norfolk that Chesapeake leaders will meet with Department of Justice officials in the next two weeks in hopes of avoiding a civil rights lawsuit. The city received the letter March 10.

"We don't agree with it," Hallman said. "We're dealing with a standardized test here."

Officials in Chesapeake have until March 31 to come to an agreement with federal officials to avoid a civil rights lawsuit, according to the letter.

Virginia Beach officials have not yet reached a resolution with the Justice Department regarding its findings.

Let's see, on average whites did a lot better in the math test than blacks.... Hmm... that sounds familiar....

Yep... it's NO DIFFERENT than what we see on the High School SAT test every year. In 2005 Whites scored 24% higher on the Math SAT than did Blacks (536 vs 431).

So just HOW can the Cheasapeake police math test be discriminatory when it simply reflects the well-established and well-known NATIONWIDE TREND commonly seen in racial differences in math standardized test scores!??????

Sheesh... more political correctness run amok.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:54:49 PM EDT

In other breaking news, the SAT and GMAT have been found to discriminate against stupid people.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:55:46 PM EDT

Oh - and what about that part about DOJ saying that the city failed to show that being proficient in math is important or relevant to an "entry-level" police officer position!???

LEOs, what say you?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:56:36 PM EDT
The 100 yard dash on my high school track team was racially biased, lawsuit pending.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:56:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Another_Dude:
The 100 yard dash on my high school track team was racially biased, lawsuit pending.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 7:59:04 PM EDT by DK-Prof]

I guess intelligence is not a bona-fide occupational requirement for being a police officer.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:00:00 PM EDT
So black people cant add? And this racist police dept has figured this out and now they do not have to hire any blacks? Stupid fucking shit that people waste time and money on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:01:17 PM EDT
Any chance that Arfcom could get a copy of that pesky racist math test?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:02:32 PM EDT
this is almost as dumb as the woman who sued the Fire Department because the physical fitness test was biased towards men...Yes, I want the weak bitch that can't carry my butt out of the burning building to go "oh well, it wasn't required on the test".
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 8:03:11 PM EDT by CRC]
Math is relevant to any job
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:08:39 PM EDT
IBT - stereotype of Asians as being better at math than any other group
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:08:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I guess intelligence is not a bona-fide occupational requirement for being a police officer.

That way every PD can be like NOLA.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:10:24 PM EDT
It's not that their math is wrong, it's that the test graders don't know what "fo-tee" and "fiddy" is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:14:09 PM EDT
Sounds like the test discriminates against people who can't add or subtract.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:16:43 PM EDT
Was swimming part of the test...?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:16:50 PM EDT
Yet they'll make it even easier now to "level the playing field" and then the morons start passing the exams, getting hired, and in 2 years, we'll have a whole new series of "JBT beat my kid for no reason" threads.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:21:07 PM EDT
Get this, i heard on the radio a couple days ago, that our local LEO's are doing away with black Silhouette targets because some people might think they are being discriminatory. They are now using blue silhouettes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:26:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 8:27:03 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

Originally Posted By Elite-Soldier:
Get this, i heard on the radio a couple days ago, that our local LEO's are doing away with black Silhouette targets because some people might think they are being discriminatory. They are now using blue silhouettes.

"Oh shit."

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:29:12 PM EDT
Whats the math on the people that watched the storm comeing out of Africa building force,and some actually left LA! They had months to decide it was the real deal!

I think we really dumb down people just to make them think of a dozen as ten,cause 12 is just to hard to concieve!!!

Same as surveying everything is tenths of an inch,we are just trying to make people just damn nice to look at(you don't need any skills in a 22 year old mind)if you sound good on a phone!!

We have a part time student(OU)whom knows it all that I asked to help lay some tile,I told him to put the tile adhesive on the night before so it could dry!

He did and he came back across the parking with grass,shit everything stuck to his shoes,and wonderd what went wrong!!

I then told him we usually start from the glue side and work to the back of the room!

No kidding I thought that a monkey would have fiqured that out!!!

He though hey no biggie,imagine the glue tracked onto the tile!!

Not exactly math,but not exactly rocket sience either!!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:30:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Math is relevant to any job

Indeed, ability to solve Math problems shows that one has the logical reasoning capability that one needs to succeed in a lot of fields where you may not actually need Math itself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:31:16 PM EDT

The nuts have the helm gentlemen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:35:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Elite-Soldier:

WTF, a "silhouette" in real life situations IS black.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:39:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 8:42:19 PM EDT by SoCalJBT]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:44:32 PM EDT
Equality of outcome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:45:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:48:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

"Oh shit."
img.theatermania.com/images/show/img/109292img2.jpg

OMG!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:48:57 PM EDT

In other breaking news, the SAT and GMAT have been found to discriminate against stupid people.

Um, what are you saying?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:50:29 PM EDT
Wasn't racially balanced to factor in other life experiences.

Little Johnny has an AK-47 with a 30 round clip magazine. He usually misses 6 out of every 10 shots and he uses 13 rounds per drive-by shooting. How many drive-by shootings can Little Johnny attempt before he has to reload?

Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine. If he sells an 8 ball to Antonio for $320 and 2 grams to Juan for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the rest of his hold?

Rufus pimps 3 hos. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Rufus's $800 per day crack habit?

Jerome wants to cut the pound of cocaine he bought for $40,000>to make 20% profit. How many ounces will he need?

Willie gets $200 for a stolen BMW, $150 for stealing a Corvette, and $100 for a 4x4. If he steals 1 BMW, 2 Corvettes and 3 4x4's, how many more corvettes must he have to steal to have $900?

Raoul got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?
Extra credit bonus: how much more time will he get for killing the ho that spent his money?

If an average can of spray paint covers 22 square feet and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can be sprayed with 3 eight ounce cans of spray paint with 20% paint free?

Hector knocked up 3 girls in the gang. There are 27 girls in his gang. What is the exact percentage of girls Hector knocked up?

Bernie is a lookout for the gang. Bernie has a Boa Constrictor that eats 3 small rats per week at a cost of $5 per rat. If Bernie makes $700 a week as a lookout, how many weeks can he feed the Boa on one week's income?

Billy steals Joe's skateboard. As Billy skates away at 35 mph, Joe loads his .357 Magnum. If it takes Joe 20 seconds to load his magnum, how far away will Billy be when he gets whacked?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:52:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By txgp17:
www.adversity.net/

Some of those articles make my blood boil.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:02:18 PM EDT

CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- The Chesapeake Police Department entrance exam discriminates against black and Hispanic applicants, according to a letter released Wednesday by the U.S. Department of Justice.

The first time I skimmed over the article I assumed it was yet another crapfest from any number of "civil rights" groups that love to level the playing field by screaming "discrimination!" anytime fairness is actually part of the equation.

The disturbing part for me is that apparently this is now U.S. Department of Justice policy.

Makes me wonder what the new entrance exams will look like, and if the new exams, catering to "cultural inequalities", will be considered LESS discriminating.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:03:58 PM EDT
What a bunch of whiners, someone sould tell them to stop feeling sorry for themselves.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:04:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Noname:
Was swimming part of the test...?

Oh....shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 10:18:11 PM EDT by blacklisted]
I have been thinking a lot about this lately. The test discriminates against IDIOTS, not against blacks and hispancs. Here's the deal: it seems that a larger portion of blacks and hispanics are not as capable in mathematics (and other subjects). The explanation for this is, in my opinion, the culture that has developed in the school system (and the rap culture in general). Many black students that are often intelligent are demonized by their fellow students for DOING GOOD IN SCHOOL! I have seen it with my own eyes. It is now considered "acting white" when you get good grades or do well on tests. If there was really a problem with a particular race and their performance in a certain subject, there would not be OTHER MEMBERS OF THAT RACE DOING JUST FINE! Also, Asians do fine on math. Why would only certain groups have trouble? Bullshit.

Found this a couple days ago. Check it out
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-racist_mathematics
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:17:41 PM EDT

Oh - and what about that part about DOJ saying that the city failed to show that being proficient in math is important or relevant to an "entry-level" police officer position!???

LEOs, what say you?

You have to be able to count how bullets fired, minus the number of holes in the scumbag = your shooting score.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:35:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Maxim_Mag:

LEOs, what say you?

You have to be able to count how bullets fired, minus the number of holes in the scumbag = your shooting score.

You also have to be able to add up the dollar amount of merchandise stolen from commerical and residential burglaries.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:34:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/16/2006 11:35:18 PM EDT by imkrazed]

Originally Posted By Drakich:
Wasn't racially balanced to factor in other life experiences.

Little Johnny has an AK-47 with a 30 round clip magazine. He usually misses 6 out of every 10 shots and he uses 13 rounds per drive-by shooting. How many drive-by shootings can Little Johnny attempt before he has to reload?

Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine. If he sells an 8 ball to Antonio for $320 and 2 grams to Juan for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the rest of his hold?

Rufus pimps 3 hos. If the price is $85 per trick, how many tricks per day must each ho turn to support Rufus's $800 per day crack habit?

Jerome wants to cut the pound of cocaine he bought for $40,000>to make 20% profit. How many ounces will he need?

Willie gets $200 for a stolen BMW, $150 for stealing a Corvette, and $100 for a 4x4. If he steals 1 BMW, 2 Corvettes and 3 4x4's, how many more corvettes must he have to steal to have $900?

Raoul got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?
Extra credit bonus: how much more time will he get for killing the ho that spent his money?

If an average can of spray paint covers 22 square feet and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can be sprayed with 3 eight ounce cans of spray paint with 20% paint free?

Hector knocked up 3 girls in the gang. There are 27 girls in his gang. What is the exact percentage of girls Hector knocked up?

Bernie is a lookout for the gang. Bernie has a Boa Constrictor that eats 3 small rats per week at a cost of $5 per rat. If Bernie makes $700 a week as a lookout, how many weeks can he feed the Boa on one week's income?

Billy steals Joe's skateboard. As Billy skates away at 35 mph, Joe loads his .357 Magnum. If it takes Joe 20 seconds to load his magnum, how far away will Billy be when he gets whacked?

That great
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:39:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:14:18 AM EDT
There were math questions on the police exams? I think the extent of the mathmatics I've used on the job has been addition and subtraction.

Of course I got a good laugh when I got an email from one of the traffic officers telling me to bring a scientific calculator to radar school and basic traffic collision investigation school - he specifically stated the calculator needed to have sin, cos, tan functions. My reply was I think I've got it covered - I have a degree in mechanical engineering and spent 10 years in the field.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:43:24 AM EDT
Well math is such a subjective thing (yeah right).

IMO this is the biggest insult to black LEOs who bust their tail and risk their lives s to protect and serve. I guess it is also an insult to all LEOs too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:51:38 AM EDT
its not the tests fault the people taking it are stupid. But in our country today there is no excuse for one group not doing as well as another unless there is discrimination involved.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:17:29 AM EDT
I'm gonna sue the friggen US Olympic team. There aren't enough whites on the 100, 200, 400, and 4x100 sprint teams and there aren't enough blacks on the dive and swim teams.

After that, I'm going to sue the NBA for discrimination against whites. And then I'm going to sue "Sons of the Confederacy" for discrimination against blacks.

We'll get to the bottom of this real soon, or we'll make a ton of dough in the process.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:19:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Langadune:

Sometimes we have posts here that cut through all the BS and sum the entire situation up nicely in a very simple way.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:36:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

Originally Posted By Langadune:

Sometimes we have posts here that cut through all the BS and sum the entire situation up nicely in a very simple way.

Funnily enough I think the only prejudice I'm hanging onto is the one I ahve against stupid people.

you _could_ argue that the people who feel discriminated against in this test didn't get a chance at a decent education, etc... however that's no damn excuse to lower the standards, that's a reason for them to get off their arses and work for it. And a reason to improve the standards for the next generation through the school system. No child left behind, and no child held back either!

/PHil
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:18:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 4:41:03 AM EDT by Johninaustin]
" It also said that the city failed to demonstrate that its use of the mathematics test is job-related for an entry-level police officer and is necessary to do the job"

What the heck? Advanced math skills are VERY necessary in police work. Try and work a serious injury collision or grid out a crime scene without using Algebra and Geometry.

My police exam (so long ago) damn near kicked my butt on the math portion. Needed 80% to pass, sqeaked by with an 81%. (100 Questions) I aced everything else which is the only reason I make it into the academy.

I suggest one of the DOJ nitwits figure out the following question.

Bubba is driving south down a 4% grade. He enters a right hand curve and leaves the roadway, rolling his vehicle twice. Upon entering the curve the surface is level. Pavement is dry blacktop with a drag co-efficient of .62. Bubba weighs 300 lbs. His vehicle weighs 4200lbs. The six-pack on the seat weighs 120 Oz. There are two skidmarks on the pavement, 62' and 64'. Total distance traveled fron the edge of roadway to final rest is 210 feet over soft earth. The roadway is raised 30" higher than mean ground level.

Estimate the vehicle speed and angle of the curve.

For bonus points, if Bubba is not wearing his seatbelt and is thrown from the vehicle on the first roll, estimate Bubba's point of final rest.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:19:50 AM EDT
How can a math test be discriminatory?

Disparate impact, my friend. Disparate impact.

If you have a neutral requirement that nevertheless has a disparate impact on protected groups, and you cannot defend it as a BFOQ, the courts say it has to go.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:22:31 AM EDT

I know you were joking, but the truth is that the courts HAVE actually been responsible for doing almost completely away with aptitude tests as a condition of employment, because they have a disparate impact on protected groups.

If you have a basic arithmatic test that causes more black applicants to fail it than white applicants, and you cannot meet the standard of evidence to prove it as a BFOQ, then your test is defined as discriminatory and must be done away with.

That's the law.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:24:05 AM EDT

LEOs, what say you?

The arguement is "Does a police officer really have to figure out how many hours they worked? Is it necessary for them to do their job?"

Apparently the answer is no.

The more relevant question "If someone cannot master basic arithmatic, do we really want to hand them a deadly weapon and give them the authority to enforce the law?" cannot be considered because it is "discriminatory".

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:25:26 AM EDT

Nope. Apparently nobody can sufficiently articulate the need to have smart people as cops. Or, more likely, there is significant political pressure NOT to meet the burden of proof necessary to qualify a BFOQ in many instances....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:27:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Another_Dude:
Any chance that Arfcom could get a copy of that pesky racist math test?

It was a simple problem. It basically said "Officer B works a shift from 7 am to 7 pm on Monday, 7 am to 5 pm on Teusday, has wed. off, works 7 am to 8 pm on thursday, is in court working from 7 am to 5 pm on Friday, and picks up an extra 7 am to 7 pm shift on Saturday, his day off. How many hours did officer B work that week?"

I kid you not.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:28:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HarrySacz:
So black people cant add?

The standard is disparate impact. If a higher percentage of black applicants fail the test than white applicants, you can't use it as a job requirement.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:29:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kcobean:
this is almost as dumb as the woman who sued the Fire Department because the physical fitness test was biased towards men...Yes, I want the weak bitch that can't carry my butt out of the burning building to go "oh well, it wasn't required on the test".

Again, you can thank federal anti-discrimination laws. If a higher percentage of women fail the test than men, and it cannot be demonstrated as a BFOQ, then you can't use it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top