Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2003 11:18:40 PM EDT
I go to the first page, the home page, and click on the story "Antis: Support Mounting for Stronger Assault-Weapons Ban" and the source is a joke! I realize there may be intention of posting it in order to deliver us an example of what the other side is doing, but there should be somthing in the heading on AR15.com, like the letters "CTS*" before the heading, with the asterick, and the key of "Consider The Source" below the "news" stories. Is "Antis" the tip-off I don't know about?

The website looks like a viable source; it has all of the pretty graphics like a Washington Post, CNN, USA Today or any other UPI or AP website. However, you go to the above story's website only to discover it is merely propaganda developed by a fledgling group whose motto is "Join Toegther Online; Take action against Substance abuse and Gun Violence".

Who are they? The story and those quoted in the story are a farce! It would be like going to a KKK wesbite to retrieve news on the growth of racial harmony in America, checking the Chevy website for news on Ford engines, or going to "the View" website to get a commentary on why balls itch!

What bothers me is that it is billed on their website as legitimate news and mocked up to appear reliable. I'm not saying I only want to hear good news; I want to know about the legislation against us too. But I don't need ignorance and lies neatly packaged and perpetuated as truth.

Sure, we here at AR15.com can see through the crap, but I have to wonder why it is posted in what I consider a viable link to credible news sources. It is bad enough that most of the media like New York and LA Times are anti-gun biased, and the stories are rarely based on fact. But when it comes to supporting links to websites specifically designed to create real-looking news stories to swing an opinion,  every time one of us clicks on it we are supporting that website. Every counted hit or viewer to that website will encourage advertisers and bump it up in the "most often" viewed category for search engines. You can go to 30 of the largest news websites, and you won't find this dumb story; however, hit on it a few times, and soon enough, it will be the first website that comes up in search engines when some kid doing an 8th grade school report on the 2nd Amendement, punches in the words "Assault Weapon".

I'm not suggesting censorship! Just a "heads-up" would be nice. I think my CTS* = *Consider The Source idea is execellent for such piddle. Can someone at AR15.com do something about that? I've contacted you ARFC in the past on stories that were even worse in nature, to no answer. I guess the above is my answer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Those antigun websites do act as a barometer, of sorts.  I'll go look and see what it says.
It is a report on factual events: what the demo candidates are saying about the AWB.  Why do you think it is a joke?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, [b]all[/b] articles posted At ARFCOM are checked by our fine group of Moderators, [b]Doublefeed[/b], just being one of many.
[b]Doublefeed[/b] mostly checks for bullshit and he doesn't take much. [:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Exactly.  We are the most factually demanding website on the internet.  Do not trifle with us.
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:33:50 AM EDT
[#4]
ALL YOUR FACTS ARE BELONG TO US!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
FACT YOU!!!!

[devil]

NsB
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course they don't, if they did it would take 90% of the arguments out of here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Of course they don't, if they did it would take 90% of the arguments out of here.
View Quote

Is that a fact??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Shhh, don't tell anybody.  It's a secret.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:25:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I may be wrong but I think those news things are pulled up by a bot or a spider looking for key words.

I dont think GB or anybody else is spending the time to dig them up much less verify.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:55:49 AM EDT
[#10]
But when it comes to supporting links to websites specifically designed to create real-looking news stories to swing an opinion, every time one of us clicks on it we are supporting that website.
View Quote

...as opposed to "supporting" the websites of the more popular leftist media sites. Just because you read something on a website doesn't mean you belive it or support it in any tangible way. If you're so concerned about inflating some fool's visitor counter, just avoid hot-linking to the story!

BTW, "Join Together" is a frequent source of anti-gun propaganda. That alone makes them quotable - even if they aren't any more believeable than any of the other anti-gun sites out there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
How are you supporting a website when you click on a link to it, or open the page?  You are using their resources when you do that.
And I still don't understand what all the hooha is all about.  JTO posted a story on [i]recent[/i] activities of the candidates as they relate to the gun issue.  Why is that a joke, or non-news?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Mods here are dipshits.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mods here are dipshits.
View Quote
Now I'm convinced, awed by your people skills and bulletproof logic. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Sgtar15 get's paid handsomely for simply asking "source" on every news article I post.

Asking for "source" is actually a more sneaky way of just saying +1 and adding one to your post count.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Asking for "source" is actually a more sneaky way of just saying +1 and adding one to your post count.
View Quote

It is? [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top