Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 4:31:24 PM EDT
We are running windows server 2003 domain controllers which of course uses DNS.  Being our inhouse domain name is the same as our website that is hosted somewhere else, there is an A record in our DNS server that points www to the proper IP address outside our network.  Yesterday management decided to move our website to another host so this morning our internal users could not get to the new site.  I went to our DNS servers and changed the IP address of the www record to point to the correct one, did ipconfig /flushdns on both servers and my PC.  The website will come up, but the menus don't work right... I'm told it's working outside our network, but I call BS until I get home and try... is there anything else that I should have done?  Should I restart the DNS service or something?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an issue with the new service. If DNS routes you to the proper address but certain web widgets aren't loading it's probably a blocked port or service on the hosting side.
Been through this about a month ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like an issue with the new service. If DNS routes you to the proper address but certain web widgets aren't loading it's probably a blocked port or service on the hosting side.
Been through this about a month ago.
View Quote

That is what I thought but I'm home now and it works fine from here.  I'm starting wonder if something at the webhost is seeing the request coming from a PC with the same domain name as the website is causing a problem... keep in mind I'm not a web developer!  Since we can get to the page, it seems like the DNS is fine..... our local domain having the same name as the website seems like the only explanation at this point.  Keep in mind this is something that management did OUTSIDE the IT dept., so I don't even know the name of the effing host.... which is reason #876879689755 why after 20yrs next friday is my last day!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting that you say the menus on the site don't work. I've actually run across this exact issue before. The dev who built the site used a 3rd-party tool to create the dynamic menus. You put in all the menu items into the tool and it would spit out javascript files that you link to in your page. There was some DRM scheme though where the outputted files only worked on that instance/dns name/IP. Moving it to another server broke it in a similar way that you're describing. Might want to check and see if there is a similar thing going on.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahh split horizon DNS. It's always been a problem at my company, too. Local A record will probably work, but you should look at migrating a a new COMPANY.LOCAL or CORP.COMPANY.COM domain sometime soon.

Being that 2003 is almost end of life, you should probably consider it anyway. When I did our company's upgrade to 2008r2 we just replaced the DCs and raised the functional levels. Had some trouble with Linux and RPC range changes, but it wasn't that difficult. In retrospect, I wish we had just used it as an opportunity to migrated to a new clean domain from scratch. Would have been a perfect time to consolidate domains, rearrange OUs and GPOs, hardened security from the start, new CA, etc. Oh well.

How many users in your domain and what kind of services running in it? On premises or colo'd file servers, Exchange, Lync, corp apps, HR stuff, etc?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Interesting that you say the menus on the site don't work. I've actually run across this exact issue before. The dev who built the site used a 3rd-party tool to create the dynamic menus. You put in all the menu items into the tool and it would spit out javascript files that you link to in your page. There was some DRM scheme though where the outputted files only worked on that instance/dns name/IP. Moving it to another server broke it in a similar way that you're describing. Might want to check and see if there is a similar thing going on.
View Quote
On the right track.

Let me guess, the new pile of shit is WordPress or Joomla? Or some other faggotry pre-assembled click and make a fucking pile of shit web site?

Here's the problem, hard coded URLs in the code of the site.

THIS is GOOD:

{ fucking tag src="/somefolder/somefile.fuk" }

This is NOT GOOD:

{ fucking tag src="http://www.example.com/folder/somefile.fuk" }

Nor is this good:

{ fucking tag src="http://example.com/folder/somefile.fuk" }

Note, the last one is  your domain controller because, well Microsoft didn't explain well enough with "don't do it" when people named their network.

Your web site will not work from your network until the URLs are manually updated (how hard that is to do depends on the site) or you change your active directory network name (which is hard as hell unless you are rebuilding the network from scratch anyway.)

The problem is, WP and all those "helpful" site build tools stick the domain name in everywhere.  So you will be in a constant battle getting the igits that update it to use the absolute from root URL ( /somefolder/somefile.fuk ) in the resources.

If this isn't your problem to fix, rejoice.  Kick it over to the webtards and tell them they screwed up, and suck at using compliant HTML.  There's a goddamn fucking good reason there are best practices, this is one of them.

If it is, your solution is basically to rebuild the code in the site, by hand, while fighting the tools used to make it.

PM me the site address if you want more specifics, but the short answer is you're fucked.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On the right track.  

Let me guess, the new pile of shit is WordPress or Joomla? Or some other faggotry pre-assembled click and make a fucking pile of shit web site?

THIS is GOOD:

This is NOT GOOD:

Nor is this good:

Note, the last one is  your domain controller because, well Microsoft didn't explain well enough with "don't do it" when people named their network.

Your web site will not work from your network until the URLs are manually updated (how hard that is to do depends on the site) or you change your active directory network name (which is hard as hell unless you are rebuilding the network from scratch anyway.)

The problem is, WP and all those "helpful" site build tools stick the domain name in everywhere.  So you will be in a constant battle getting the igits that update it to use the absolute from root URL ( /somefolder/somefile.fuk ) in the resources.

If this isn't your problem to fix, rejoice.  Kick it over to the webtards and tell them they screwed up, and suck at using compliant HTML.  There's a goddamn fucking good reason there are best practices, this is one of them.

If it is, your solution is basically to rebuild the code in the site, by hand, while fighting the tools used to make it.

PM me the site address if you want more specifics, but the short answer is you're fucked.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the right track.  

THIS is GOOD:

This is NOT GOOD:

Nor is this good:

You are EXACTLY right and this harsh wording of it cracks me up... the owners son who is in charge is clueless and thinks this web developer is some sort of God.  If he pisses me off enough I'm going to send your response to him and wreck his world.  My last day was supposed to be next Friday, but it just might be today...  I'll PM you the website for your enjoyment.  It is working now, I finally got him to listen to me and put www in front of the url in the menus so my DNS would know to send it out of our network.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Ha!

Nice. Well the site is better than I thought it would be, and it's some other auto-generating stuff than WordPress (I think, it's pretty clean of the usual WP trash code.)

The gray / red text in the menu is a little clashing (the gray should be lighter, or the red darker) as the colors are the same intensity.

Here's an example of what not to do with color intensities.

Anyway, with the full URL in there, you will run into problems if you try to use SSL (it will prevent a redirect and takes away user's choice about it), get another domain name (because people can't remember the dash for example) and so on.  Also, you aren't running a staging site with the URLs in there without a specialized copy method... and a staging site is also a good practice for a lot of other reasons.

Good luck with your next job.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#8]
haha they basically took our largest competitors site and copied it, but first took out all the useful information.  Our other IT guy says  it's just a pic dump site.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Our web person has no clue as to what an absolute or relative path is.

I almost had to draw her a picture......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top