Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2003 7:19:04 AM EDT
I have to get a new trigger guard for my remington 700, i was going to just get a new trigger guard/floorplate, but I have been thinking of going to a DM(HS Precision) or sending the gun to robar to get it converted to use M1A mags. Do any of you use a DM in a bolt gun? How do you like it? What are some of the good/bad about a DM on a bolt gun? I've got to make up my mind on this rather quick. Any help is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Assume that DM stands for detachable magazine.

Bolt guns are not usually the first choice for laying down a base of fire.  Therefore, 5 shots is not a big disadvantage.

A solid magazine area should contribute to a more stable and therefore more accurate rifle.

If you need M1A mags, get an M1A.  I sure enjoy mine.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how relavent it is, but I have a detachable mag on my Savage bolt action .22. I like it for the each of reloading. I'm sure that I don't have to tell you the advantages of a DM, so, I'll tell you what I don't like: In the Savage, the mag fits somewhat loosely, and perhaps I hold my support hand too close to my body, but sometimes, if it's touching the mag, it gets in the way of the bolt closing. If you hold the gun correctly and don't touch the mag, there's no real problem, AFAIK. Overall, I like the idea, if for no other reason than that if you ever REALLY NEED ammo, you don't have to sit and load individual rounds into your gun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have to get a new trigger guard for my remington 700, i was going to just get a new trigger guard/floorplate, but I have been thinking of going to a DM(HS Precision) or sending the gun to robar to get it converted to use M1A mags. Do any of you use a DM in a bolt gun? How do you like it? What are some of the good/bad about a DM on a bolt gun? I've got to make up my mind on this rather quick. Any help is much appreciated.
View Quote

Pass on them both, and go with an AICS. The mag conversions from both HS, and Robar work OK, but not great. The AICS is flawless. The magazines are flawless, the chassis flawless, the whole thing is the cat's a$$. Give it a look...[url=http://members.inteliport.net/~blanksguns/]AICS[/url] Stacey is great to work with. His customer service is top-notch, and the chassis [b]are[/b] sold separately.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it's a bad idea. Just one more thing to go wrong. Possibility of losing the mag on a hunt. They will sometimes get out of alignment and fail to feed. Stick with the BDL IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The stock ands such is ordered already, I had thought about the ACIS, but decided on a McMillan A4 instead. I've read about some problems with both the HS precision and the robar but all the guys that i know that have either have never had problems with them. Gun-Fan I think maybe your right about the one more thing to go wrong. I can see a few advantages such as changing type or weight of bullet rather fast but than again I can load the single round just as fast or faster by loading one single round as well. Hmmmmmmm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top