Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 3:58:58 PM EDT
Need help deciding between an LCD rear projection T.V. and the DLP technology, does any one have any ideas?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#1]
i read somewhere that the DLP is is better of the 2.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
If you've done your research (as I'm sure you have) I believe that you will come to the same conclusion as myself.

I also have researched RP TV's and have decided that none of them perform to my standards as of yet - so I've decided to wait a few more years (I finally bought the largest Sony CRT).

However to answer your question, in my opinion, between the two technologies you've listed If I had to pick one, I'd go with DLP hands down.

Best of luck with your decision!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
DLP is definately nicer, the picture doesn't fade as you move to the side of the tube, but you pay through the nose for that quality... roughly double the price of a comparably sized projection TV.

I just bought a new Mitsubishi 55313.  No DLP, but nice enough for what I need.  If you got the extra dinero, get the DLP.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Did a lot of research as I was able to get t.v. wholesale thru insurance co. Best Buy, Circiut City and Tweeters all recommended Samsung's DLP without me bringing a brand or type up for discussion. Bought one, live it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope you like the internal reflections and dithering on the DLP. I couldnt stand it, so I returned it and got an LCD instead. Saved alot of money and I enjoy the LCD more. Each technology has its weakness and its strengths, but nothing seems to be perfect yet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Check the boards at [url]http://www.avsforum.com[/url]. There are entire forums for both rear-projection and DLP displays.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
DLP is the superior of the two---LCD RPTVs still have a problem with slightly faded blacks.
Right now though, the best buy for the money is still CRT RPTVs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
My research I did for my new system pointed toward the DLP being much better of the two.  with the newer DLP, you are not limited with screen size as much as you are with other projectors.  At this point I am waiting for a couple years as the projector I wanted cast more than a H2 does.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input.  AZ_Sky may have it.  I am now thinking about just waiting for further tech. development.  Man, do I hate making decisions when money is on the line.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:56:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.  AZ_Sky may have it.  I am now thinking about just waiting for further tech. development.  
View Quote

That's a mistake.  Technology will ALWAYS be developing.  There will ALWAYS be something new "right around the corner."  There is no point in waiting---just get the most for your money right now and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't watch the cheaper DLPs. I see rainbows behind movement on the screen. Drives me nuts. Therefore, I went with LCD.

Either way, you need to view both before buying AND front projection is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I havent had any problems with my 26" toshiba HDLCD.At $2100 It was a steal. DVD's and video games are awsome with it.

However im told i may need to purchase a $400 toshiba signal processer to be able to view hd broadcast signals.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. AZ_Sky may have it. I am now thinking about just waiting for further tech. development.

That's a mistake. Technology will ALWAYS be developing. There will ALWAYS be something new "right around the corner." There is no point in waiting---just get the most for your money right now and enjoy it.
View Quote

No, for some of us I don't think it's a mistake.
I stated that the current technology didn't meet my acceptance standards.  If you have a lower level of expectance for your video devices then yes - by all means go out and get one.

If I were to go out now and spend the money (that I can afford) for any of the current RP technologies I would not, as you say "enjoy"...
Yes current technology does provide wonderful viewing platforms - I just cant afford them.

You are also correct in that you will never win the race against technology if you just stand in the wings waiting - but at some point the "cost vs technology" curve will come together for your expectations.

To each our own.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DLP is definately nicer, [red]the picture doesn't fade as you move to the side of the tube,[/red]

I most likely missed somthing here. But lcd's don't do that. Or perhapse i should say [b]MY[/b] lcd does not.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#15]
One issue to consider with DLP technology, is that you only get a few thousand hours of life out of the main projection bulb and it's a couple hundred bucks to replace every couple of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top