Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 10:50:22 AM EDT
This will be my first time bleaching a well.  Had it done when I bought the place and it's time to do it again.  Reading up on it online makes it sound like rocket surgery regarding everything you can fuck up.

Tips appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:51:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2015 10:52:17 AM EDT by LibertyUberAlles]
Do you have Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg smell)?  If so, bleaching may take care of that only for a short while.  Are you sure you need to do this?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:58:26 AM EDT
It's easy, if you need to do it.

Turn your softner system to bypass if you have one

Open well. Pour one gallon bleach down.
Run your garden hose down your well for 15 minutes
Shut off hose and open all valves in your house until you smell bleach in the water coming out.
Close all fixtures and pour another gallon bleach Down the well.
Put well cap on and leave all faucets closed for 12-24 hours.
Run hose away from house and run it until no bleach smell

Open all faucets and run until no bleach smell

Just did mine after the house sat vacant for 9 months.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:03:32 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rogueboss:
It's easy, if you need to do it.

Turn your softner system to bypass if you have one

Open well. Pour one gallon bleach down.
Run your garden hose down your well for 15 minutes
Shut off hose and open all valves in your house until you smell bleach in the water coming out.
Close all fixtures and pour another gallon bleach Down the well.
Put well cap on and leave all faucets closed for 12-24 hours.
Run hose away from house and run it until no bleach smell

Open all faucets and run until no bleach smell

Just did mine after the house sat vacant for 9 months.
View Quote


+1  Just did mine last week after a bacteria contamination.  It's just this easy.
We did the math on chlorine levels provided by our county water lab - we used enough bleach to get 200ppm chlorine for the amount of water in our well, plus what is in the storage tank coming from the well.  We let it sit for 24 hours once chlorinated water was cycles through the entire system and sitting in all the pipes.

The pain in ass part was making sure as little bleach as possible went into our septic system - don't want to kill off the good bacteria, or you will have an even smellier project to deal with.  If you are on local sewer system though, no worries.

I watched this vid, but did the math off of the county's chart.  Easy-peasy.  


Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2015 2:10:35 PM EDT by jchewie1]
We had iron bacteria and had to do it several times.

The time that cured the bacteria problem for us we circulated bleach in the water column:

One gallon of unscented bleach.
Remove well top.
Add bleach.
Run household taps until you can smell chlorine at each.  Same for toilets, etc
Run garden hose at low/moderate flow (2 gallons/minute or so) into top of well for 24 hours to circulate bleach into water column
Remove garden hose from top of well, let run in yard at same low/moderate flow for 24 hours or until no bleach smell is present
Drink water inside after all bleach smell is gone


ETA - put water softener in bypass if you have one and don't take it out until the bleach is gone!! Covered by another poster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:16:13 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LibertyUberAlles:
Do you have Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg smell)?  If so, bleaching may take care of that only for a short while.  Are you sure you need to do this?
View Quote



No smell, had a leak repaired recently so mostly preventative.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:25:40 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
We had iron bacteria and had to do it several times.

The time that cured the bacteria problem for us we circulated bleach in the water column:

One gallon of unscented bleach.
Remove well top.
Add bleach.
Run household taps until you can smell chlorine at each.  Same for toilets, etc
Run garden hose at low/moderate flow (2 gallons/minute or so) into top of well for 24 hours to circulate bleach into water column
Remove garden hose from top of well, let run in yard at same low/moderate flow for 24 hours or until no bleach smell is present
Drink water inside after all bleach smell is gone


ETA - put water softener in bypass if you have one and don't take it out until the bleach is gone!! Covered by another poster.
View Quote


What is iron bacteria? Is that why my new (old) house water stinks now that I bypassed the failed iron curtain system? The water leaves a slime in the dog dish and everything is covered in iron.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:32:57 PM EDT


Is this another anal bleaching thread?  Because that stuff burns.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:44:47 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rogueco:


+1  Just did mine last week after a bacteria contamination.  It's just this easy.
We did the math on chlorine levels provided by our county water lab - we used enough bleach to get 200ppm chlorine for the amount of water in our well, plus what is in the storage tank coming from the well.  We let it sit for 24 hours once chlorinated water was cycles through the entire system and sitting in all the pipes.

The pain in ass part was making sure as little bleach as possible went into our septic system - don't want to kill off the good bacteria, or you will have an even smellier project to deal with.  If you are on local sewer system though, no worries.

I watched this vid, but did the math off of the county's chart.  Easy-peasy.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJ6FxK6cwk


View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rogueco:
Originally Posted By rogueboss:
It's easy, if you need to do it.

Turn your softner system to bypass if you have one

Open well. Pour one gallon bleach down.
Run your garden hose down your well for 15 minutes
Shut off hose and open all valves in your house until you smell bleach in the water coming out.
Close all fixtures and pour another gallon bleach Down the well.
Put well cap on and leave all faucets closed for 12-24 hours.
Run hose away from house and run it until no bleach smell

Open all faucets and run until no bleach smell

Just did mine after the house sat vacant for 9 months.


+1  Just did mine last week after a bacteria contamination.  It's just this easy.
We did the math on chlorine levels provided by our county water lab - we used enough bleach to get 200ppm chlorine for the amount of water in our well, plus what is in the storage tank coming from the well.  We let it sit for 24 hours once chlorinated water was cycles through the entire system and sitting in all the pipes.

The pain in ass part was making sure as little bleach as possible went into our septic system - don't want to kill off the good bacteria, or you will have an even smellier project to deal with.  If you are on local sewer system though, no worries.

I watched this vid, but did the math off of the county's chart.  Easy-peasy.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZJ6FxK6cwk





I guess my biggest worry is potential damage to well pump components and the fact that the closest place to do the initial drain from would put bleach water into my septic path.
Top Top