Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 3:55:54 PM EDT
Has anybody tried one of these kits?

http://www.eco-distributing.com/Foam-it-Green--602--Polyurethane-Spray-Foam-Insulation-Kit_p_208.html

It says 600+ ft 1" think,  I am more wanting to use this product for an air stop and thermo break so I only want 1/2"  thickness.  I am wondering if it is possible to apply it 1/2" instead of 1"
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know man, seems like an expensive experiment if you mess up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I researched a little about DIY spray foam about a year ago and could not justify the cost when compared to other options.

My conclusion back then was that you could get about the same or better R value from just cutting foam insulation boards from Lowes.

I googeled DIY spray foam and found a video that shows what was in my head as a less expensive way to go...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1guAwzyEOQ[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1guAwzyEOQ
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I need 6000 bd. ft. to insulate my garage at 2" thick.

I had a contractor quote me $6000 to spray on 2" of closed cell.

It would cost me more than that to just buy the kits.

Depending on how much you need put down it might be cheaper to have it done.

Just my experience.

Note: You want closed cell, don't go with the open cell.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just my experience.

I want to spray the underside of my floor, on this 100 yr old high plains farm house,  reaching the whole house will require digging trenches to crawl in, under the house.  I dont think I could find anyone here I could pay to do it, much less afford to pay them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Has anybody tried one of these kits?

http://www.eco-distributing.com/Foam-it-Green--602--Polyurethane-Spray-Foam-Insulation-Kit_p_208.html

It says 600+ ft 1" think,  I am more wanting to use this product for an air stop and thermo break so I only want 1/2"  thickness.  I am wondering if it is possible to apply it 1/2" instead of 1"

I would think you would go 2x as fast to get 1/2 the coverage..  Im sure there is a learning curve to it as well..  I see that you want to do under a floor - that would be MUCH harder to regulate the thickness since you are laying on your back without as much arm movement available..

good luck

b
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Get some steel beams and concrete blocks, jack the house up, create a crawl space, pour some footings and have a block guy build some walls. When you have room to work, you can insulate the floors with fiberglass batts. I had to do this under the back of a 100 year-old house I bought many years ago, and it was time and money well spent.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get some steel beams and concrete blocks, jack the house up, create a crawl space, pour some footings and have a block guy build some walls. When you have room to work, you can insulate the floors with fiberglass batts. I had to do this under the back of a 100 year-old house I bought many years ago, and it was time and money well spent.

I did too. But we poured a full basement with 9-foot walls. Finished it into a 1/2-bath, a laundry and three bedrooms
Huge project, but it doubled the living space in our house.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
That would be the correct way to do it.  I am doing it the cheap way
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Options for perusal.

http://www.tigerfoam.com/

http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
6000$ buys a whole lot of ac or heat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Options for perusal.

http://www.tigerfoam.com/

http://www.rhhfoamsystems.com/

The Tiger foam seams like the best deal and I should be able to apply it at 1/2 thick with a little effort after reading their instructions.  610 shipped for 600 sqf I need to do around 1200 sqft
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
How big of an area? Square footage?

ETA:
Just saw your last post. With closed cell foam, you need at least 1" for it to be a vapor barrier. 2" if you are worried about exposure to moisture, which you should be since it's under a house.

I would highly recommend you get a quote from a pro. They should be around $1.80/ sqft for the first inch, then $.10-.30 after that for every additional inch. This varies alot from region to region. Just a guideline.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA:
Just saw your last post. With closed cell foam, you need at least 1" for it to be a vapor barrier. 2" if you are worried about exposure to moisture, which you should be since it's under a house.

I would highly recommend you get a quote from a pro. They should be around $1.80/ sqft for the first inch, then $.10-.30 after that for every additional inch. This varies alot from region to region. Just a guideline.

We dont know what moisture is here, in another environment I would be worried about  moisture, but not here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a contractor with real gear.  Eurethane ,you hear me ? eurethane foam
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just my experience.

call around some more.  you can get pricing around $1
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

We dont know what moisture is here, in another environment I would be worried about  moisture, but not here.

Trust me. You want 2". This is what I do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

I understand, I was in construction for most of my life.    2" would be the best,  1" would be the minimum, but 1/2 to 3/4 would probably accomplish what I want.  Are you saying the foam is going to wick up moisture and hold it against the wood if I go less than 2".  I have been under my house in all our weather cycles and I have never seen a hint of anything but bone dry powdery dust, I have been under many houses, in many parts of the country, none like it is here.  If it will wick and trap moisture I will re think as we could get in a wet cycle for 4-5 years and this could become a concern.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Tried one of those 600' kits last summer and I don't know what I did wrong, but about half way through, it quit expanding and just turned into an epoxy like coat. Had to finish with fiberglass. The "epoxy" created a vapor barrier anyway.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

I understand, I was in construction for most of my life.    2" would be the best,  1" would be the minimum, but 1/2 to 3/4 would probably accomplish what I want.  Are you saying the foam is going to wick up moisture and hold it against the wood if I go less than 2".  I have been under my house in all our weather cycles and I have never seen a hint of anything but bone dry powdery dust, I have been under many houses, in many parts of the country, none like it is here.  If it will wick and trap moisture I will re think as we could get in a wet cycle for 4-5 years and this could become a concern.

Anything less than a full 1" of closed foam can't be classified as a vapor barrier. Whatever humidity you do experience can penetrate the foam over time, and it will hold it there for a while.

At 2", you can call it a moisture barrier, though you can't use it for submerged applications. They do make foams for that though.

What sets foam apart from other insulations is the foams ability to stop air/vapor from passing through floor boards, walls, roof. If you don't put at least 1", you may as well use batts.

The reason I recomend 2", is because no matter how good the applicator is, you will have some low spots; especially since he is spraying overhead.
The extra 1" is insurance, and extra insulation. If you go to a reputable installer, the extra inch should only be a few cents/ft more.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I did a room with the Dow Froth kit a couple months ago.   Worked pretty good and it made a big difference in the amount of propane we are burning and the comfort level.   I bought the Froth kit at Menards.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tried one of those 600' kits last summer and I don't know what I did wrong, but about half way through, it quit expanding and just turned into an epoxy like coat. Had to finish with fiberglass. The "epoxy" created a vapor barrier anyway.

Your "gun" was clogged somewhere. Off ratio foam.
There is an A side, with is the base chemical.
The B side contains the blowing agent and other fun stuff. Your gun/hose was clogged on the A side, or you were out of A.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I live in the middle of no where the only person I have seen doing it in this area, does barns, I asked him if he would be interested in doing my floor and he basically told me to fuck off,
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I just paid 90 cents a board foot for closed foam in a building 2 months ago.  The job could not have been much easier for them.  Easy access, limited clean up.  I am pleased with the insulation value, and the cost.  I believe I will recover the install cost in less than 5 years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Guy at work had an 1" thick layer installed by a guy. He did the whole 2 story house walls. Around $1200. Then he used R13  insulation which he did himself.

Look around town first.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I live in the middle of no where the only person I have seen doing it in this area, does barns, I asked him if he would be interested in doing my floor and he basically told me to fuck off,

A lot of guys travel quite a bit. You will have to do some searching.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top