Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2015 2:49:54 PM EDT
Has anyone try fixing their own HDTVs? I got a 55 LED with no sound, no picture and the status light stays on. I've researched tons of YouTube vids and it seems to be easy fixings. From my research, my mainboard may be bad. I'm going to open the back cover and check the mainboard for burns, bubbled up or swollen capacitors. TV is out of warranty. Only 3 years old. I'm a PC tech so electrical is not an issue. I can ground myself properly. Plus, my TVs model has plenty of cheap used parts on eBay. Has anyone here do this and does it seem my issue is the same? Plenty of info on from Google search seems to help. Just wondering if anyone here done it and swear by it. I subscribed to ShopJimmy.com on YT and looks like I can do it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I started fixing my own Phone Screens if they crack. Youtube and Ebay haved saved me a lot of money.  TV repairs should be easy.

I remember when I was a kid the TV repairman would come over and take off the back of the console TV and replace the tubes until it started working again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, we had a client with a video-wall made up of nine televisions. They got old and started to fail, one by one.

Luckily there is a TV repair shop in town and they were able get them fixed for about $40 each.

May be worth it in frustration.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
$16 in power supply capacitors got a freebie 55in Samsung LED back up and running in my house.

Took me about 2-3 hours to do it, including cleaning all the dust out of the back of the display, having a beer and watching part of a movie to verify function after reassembly.

TV has been up and running in my living room for about 2 years now.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, if my standby light stays on, then the power supply could be fine. Might be the mainboard since it controls the buttons the off and on part of the TV, no?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I replaced the capacitors in my plasma Vizio power supply a few years ago. It's still running fine.

A little google research on your model TV should tell you everything you need to know.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Give it a shot, what do you have to lose. Just be careful oh high voltages.

Not all repairs are as simple as replacing a few caps though. Those are just the ones you hear about.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give it a shot, what do you have to lose. Just be careful oh high voltages.  

Not all repairs are as simple as replacing a few caps though. Those are just the ones you hear about.
View Quote

True.

But usually when a display won't turn on it is normally something power supply related.

I had a display repaired that had a bad chip on one of the controller boards.

Cost almost $600 in parts and labor, job total was over $1k. The repair tech showed me the chip he had to replace. Something like 150 tiny pins that needed to be soldered.
I am pretty good at soldering and I was in awe at what he did. Guy earned his money.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I just replaced the fans in my old Samsung DLP rear projector.  It's 8 or 9 years old now, have changed the bulb in it 5 times.  I'll keep fixing it until catastrophic failure or TV, streaming services, and DVD/Blu Ray/Next big Thing ups the resolution across the board.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Vizio that lost the HDMI inputs recently. I tried changing the main board to try to fix it. Be careful if you go this route. I bought what seemed like the last main board for this TV that was listed on the internet. I paid $200. After I installed it, all that would work is the back light on the TV. I do not know if the board I bought is bad, or incompatible.

So I put the old board back in to get at least use of the apps and non-HDMI inputs.

Just for shits and giggles, I tried the HDMI inputs again and was astonished when they started working again.

I think I just got fucked by a bad Vizio update that they fixed later on as it did the flashing logo thing before the HDMIs went out and also before the HDMIs started working again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it's working. Took a risk on buying a new power control board that was a pull from a shipping damaged TV on eBay. Paid 30 bucks free shipping. It arrived today and is working. TV was 700 bucks 3 years ago so it's a nice investment. I was thinking it'd be the main board but it wasn't and a used main board is hard to find for this model. The cheapest is 125.00 used Glad this gamble paid off.
ETA: This TV is a TCL 55 LED 1080
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top