Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2013 10:34:38 PM EDT
Anybody ever try to build one of these? Me and a couple guys from work are interested in designing and building one, don't wanna spend $10k on a Central Boiler. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's harder than it sounds to achieve reliability and good performance... I haven't personally built one but a relative of mine has built several... he has some growing pains... and I've seen some other home-built units... most notably one that can completely obscure a 4-lane interstate highway I frequently drive on because it belches so much smoke out... I can't imagine trying to feed that thing when it's wasting so much energy out the chimney like that... and when the wind blows in the direction of the house I wouldn't want to be living there...

If you do your research and "copy" commercial designs you shouldn't have any problems. If you cobble something together with no idea what you're doing you will have plenty of problems... I advise you look at a lot of them in-person inside and out, ask if you can take access panels off etc to see all the workings. Note the brand/size of circulation pumps, blower motors etc...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
How much DO you want to spend, and what output do you want?
Indoor and outdoor models are available a lot cheaper than CB.

Head over to The Arfcom of Woodburning and do some reading.  Lots of pictures on most every gasification boiler made, and some homemade ones too.

I know a guy who had great success building a Garn type boiler, 5 pass, out of a 2000 gallon oil tank.  He hasn't filled his propane tank in four years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for. I haven't done the calculations as far as BTU's but I would need to heat 2800 sq ft through radiant floors. I've come up with a design and priced the steel for a 3' x 3' firebox and associated water jacket steel, came out to ~ $3200 for materials. 3' might be a bit excessive and I will likely shrink that down. Anyways, a buddy of mine is wanting to build his first in the spring so we'll see how it goes, I'm sure I'll learn a few things. Thanks for website reference.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for. I haven't done the calculations as far as BTU's but I would need to heat 2800 sq ft through radiant floors. I've come up with a design and priced the steel for a 3' x 3' firebox and associated water jacket steel, came out to ~ $3200 for materials. 3' might be a bit excessive and I will likely shrink that down. Anyways, a buddy of mine is wanting to build his first in the spring so we'll see how it goes, I'm sure I'll learn a few things. Thanks for website reference.
View Quote

I don't have the tools or welding skills to build one, but if I did, I would build something like the Garn boiler, and put it in a good shed.  Project costs go way up, but the Garn is impressive.  Is your system existing, and if so, what water temperatures are you running?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top