Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2010 1:13:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You just made it very expensive to fix. Now you will have to replace every piece in the A/C system, all the lines, the condenser, evaporator, compressor. No shop will hook their A/C equipmebnt on to a system with sealant in it as it plugs up their machines. Looks like now you will spend between $3000 and $4000 to get your system working.

No professional shop uses anything with sealant in it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Hey Guys,

My A/C is about as good as a hair dryer.  11 years, and I'm not surprised it's dead.

So, I figured while at Walmart to pick up one of those kits that is for DIY recharges.  It was $24, included a hose and gauge assembly, and a can of R134a and a sealant.  

So, directions say to let it run for 3 minutes, and see if the clutch engages.  Mine did not, so following the instructions, I emptied about half the can into the system (on the low side).

Now, the clutch engages for about two seconds, every 10 seconds.  Also, when the clutch is engaged, the pressure gauge reads about 20PSI (middle of the green zone), but when it disengages, it spikes to 65PSI, right at the beginning of the 'RED- May cause mechanical failure' zone.

In true ARFcom fashion, I'm tempted to empty the rest of the can in the system.

So... am I wasting my time with these DIY kits, or am I just doing it wrong?

You are waisting your time and you are doing it wrong

This will get you through the summer... maybe.  Sealant in this or the coolant system will many times end up with blockage in the system resulting it larger repair bills then just fixing the leak correctly.

If the pressure is 20 and the clutch cycles a lot then you are still low on refrigerant.  Check the AC label under the hood for how much you should have in your system and then look at how much is in the can.  Then start doing math!
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You just made it very expensive to fix. Now you will have to replace every piece in the A/C system, all the lines, the condenser, evaporator, compressor. No shop will hook their A/C equipmebnt on to a system with sealant in it as it plugs up their machines. Looks like now you will spend between $3000 and $4000 to get your system working.

He can do what most people do and just not say anything costing the shop thousands in repairs on their AC machine.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He can do what most people do and just not say anything costing the shop thousands in repairs on their AC machine.  

I have a tester for sealant, I charge $30 just check for sealant and refrigerant type. Now you can go down the road let some clown fuck it up, or you get it fixed right my way.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top