Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2002 1:21:02 PM EDT
Ok...as I'm curious why some gun owners don't vote, or don't vote for progun candidates, I thought I would ask.  Also, will you vote for Bush if he signed another AW ban?  How many gun owners would vote if he DIDN'T sign another AW ban?  Reasons?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
First!!!
don't vote? or don't vote for pro-gun candidates----please find me a pro-gun candidate
instead of one that goes "we can bullshite 10% of the voters if we do this but let's weigh it down with fees and regulations"
Bush--aw ban---nope
Didn't sign------nope----the dude is worse than the last one....
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
IF he signs a new AW ban, which he is certain to do. I will NOT vote for him. I will vote for Gore/Hillary/Whatever communist the Dems run because THEY won't ban gu....Hey wait a second!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I will vote for the lesser of two evils, until they take away my right to vote.

Then I will vote for Revolution.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no difference between Democrats and Republicans.  I vote for neither.  I vote straight Libertarian.  The PEACEFULL revolution has to start somewhere.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Now....I'm not saying that voting for Independents is throwing your vote away, because at least voting for someone is something.  However....when is an Independent going to win?  I wonder....how many Republicans, or Democraps for that matter..would go anti gun if they knew EVERY GUN OWNER were going to vote??  Hmm....as long as we decide not to vote at all, how can we expect for our elected leaders to worry about how we feel in the first place?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If Bush lets the AW ban sunset I will vote for him without question. Outside of that I will vote for the lesser evil.  

I cannot imagine Hillary being any part of the lesser of two evils.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
If Bush doesn't sign any more bans, I'll definately vote for him.  If a new ban passes congress and he signs.  I'll vote for anyone else.  I don't care how bad they are.  He will not get my vote and we have to let him know this.  I also wouldn't vote for a liberal gun banning Democrat so I'd probably vote 3rd party.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a sad fact that we are limited to the lesser of two evils.  But that's how I vote.

Dammit.

I voted for Perot the first time around as a protest.  Look what THAT got us.  I never realized that so many people were P.O.'d enough that CLINTON would win.

Dammit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#9]
If he allows another ban I'm voting for Angela Davis.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I voted on this poll because it's only a mythical poll.  Here's what you're faced with...the AW ban will require Congress to re-energize that thing before its expiration which I think is Sept. 2004.  Bush is only in his first year and three months of his term.  So many things can change between now and then and probably will...but I think I can say that he'll be forced, politically, to sign an extension of the AW ban if passed prior to its expiration.  There are just too many voters who think it's a good law.

If Congress acts to extend the ban, Bush will be trapped into signing because the nation will be in the sweet spot of the 2004 elections.  There is nothing that can be done to change these dates and the freakin Dems had the calendars out back in 1994 when this thing was passed.  Nothing happens by chance.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If Congress acts to extend the ban, Bush will be trapped into signing because the nation will be in the sweet spot of the 2004 elections.  There is nothing that can be done to change these dates and the freakin Dems had the calendars out back in 1994 when this thing was passed.  Nothing happens by chance.
Jim
View Quote

IF Bush signs he [b]WILL[/b] definately loose the election!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Sundrop...I agree that they probably had their calendars out.  However, let me ask this....if he didn't sign on an AW ban, how many votes would he lose?  I mean, do we really think that alot of fence sitters or democrats are gonna vote for him as long as he tries to ban assault weapons?  He wouldn't lose any votes! But, he would gain votes...I hope.  You know, it's sad to think that gun owners will vote their hobby and rights out of existence by voting for a loser, or not voting at all.  I'm sure I'll be flamed by all the Libertarians out there, and I agree with that philosophy in theory.  But, I don't think that we taught the republicans a lesson in '92, but hopefully we taught GUN OWNERS a lesson in '92.  My mom used to tell me "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face"....
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Bush has ALREADY said he will sign it.

And can we please stop discussing "IF" the ban will sunset? I don't wanna go into this because I'm sure somebody will come along and address this in a much nicer manner than I would.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Bush has already said he would sign another ban.

The real question is are you going to keep voting for the anti-gun Reps and Senators who keep passing the bans and force the President to either appease 7% of the voters, that's us gun people, or keep things nice so his party can stay in power.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The real question is are you going to keep voting for the anti-gun Reps and Senators who keep passing the bans and force the President to either appease 7% of the voters, that's us gun people, or keep things nice so his party can stay in power.
View Quote

Eggphuckingzackly!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Bush on Guns...

Bush says Gore is more a member of NRA than Bush is. (May 2000)

Agrees with Gore on trigger locks;but wants more enforcement. (Apr 2000)

Avoid Columbine via gun control, values & character ed. (Apr 2000)

Would sign, but would not push, gun restrictions. (Apr 2000)

Ban automatic weapons & high-capacity ammunition clips. (Apr 2000)

Best gun control is more prosecution & certain jail. (Dec 1999)

Raise legal age for guns to 21; ban certain ammo. (Aug 1999)

Gun show checks OK; ban guns near schools & kids. (Apr 1999)

Gore on Guns...

Gun licensing by states, but no registration. (Oct 2000)

No special lawsuit protection for gun makers. (Sep 2000)

Agrees with Bush on banning weapons; but wants registration. (Apr 2000)

Nationally mandated, state-run system of photo licensing. (Apr 2000)

Ban guns in churches; “lock box” for crime funding. (Apr 2000)

Take on the NRA with presidential leadership. (Mar 2000)

Tough gun laws & so much more, to stop child tragedies. (Mar 2000)

Passed toughest gun control in 30 years; same for next 30. (Feb 2000)

Zero tolerance for guns at school; raise age to 21. (Jan 2000)

Maximize gun control within what’s politically possible. (Jan 2000)

Counter gun lobby with ‘family lobby’ to shield kids. (Jun 1999)

Voted against some gun limitations while in Congress. (Jun 1999)

Supports Brady Law and ban on assault weapons. (May 1999)
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Hillary on Guns...

Limit access to weapons; look for early warning signs. (Sep 2000)

Keep guns away from people who shouldn’t have them. (Sep 2000)

License and register all handgun sales. (Jun 2000)

Tough gun control keeps guns out of wrong hands. (Jul 1999)

Gun control protects our children. (Jul 1999)

Don’t water down sensible gun control legislation. (Jul 1999)

Lock up guns; store ammo separately. (Jun 1999)

Ban kids’ unsupervised access to guns. (Jun 1999)

Jesse Ventura on Guns...

Gun responsibility goes with gun rights. (Jul 2000)

Guns are designed to kill; respect them. (Jan 1999)

If you’re going to own a gun, know what you’re doing. (Jan 1999)

Concealed weapons OK if you can pass safety exam. (Nov 1998)

President Ventura anybody?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Elizabeth Dole on Guns...

an AK-47s; add safety locks; instant background checks. (Jun 1999)

Ban AK-47s. (May 1999)

Limited right to bear arms. (May 1999)

Harry Browne on Guns...

Any gun regulation gives politicians power to do anything. (Sep 2000)

Gun restrictions are unconstitutional. (Jan 2000)

Well-protected politicians misunderstand need for guns. (Nov 1999)

Your home is safer if there are guns in your neighborhood. (Nov 1999)

Criminals are not affected by gun-control laws. (Nov 1999)

Don’t let politicians decide our need for assault rifles. (Nov 1999)

Tragic events do not justify new gun laws. (Nov 1999)

Repeal all gun laws; Bill of Rights is “literal”. (May 1996)

Prosecute crimes, not possession of weapons. (Jul 1995)

John McCain on Guns...

Ban cheap guns; require safety locks; for gun show checks. (Aug 1999)

Supports ban on certain assault weapons. (Aug 1999)

Voted against Brady Bill & assault weapon ban. (Aug 1999)

Guns are a problem, but so are violent web sites & videos. (Aug 1999)

Punish criminals who abuse 2nd Amendment rights. (May 1999)

Youth Violence Prevention Act restricts guns for kids. (May 1999)

Repeal existing gun restrictions; penalize criminal use. (Jul 1998)

Rudy Giuliani on Guns...

All gun owners should pass written test. (Mar 2000)

Steve Forbes on Guns...

Concealed carry OK; gun issues are local. (Jan 2000)

Prosecute crimes done with guns; not buying guns. (Dec 1999)

Key is to enforce 40,000 laws we have about guns now. (May 1999)

Supports Second Amendment rights, with limits. (May 1999)

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
[i]Many a slip twixt cup and lip[/i]

[u]Cake-walk[/u]: (unstoppable Bush)
* robust economy in '03-'04

[u]Easy Trails[/u]: (must have two of three)
* stable economy
* Mideast stablizing
* Saddam/OBL/Omar head on a stick and an Arab coalition

[u]Icebergs[/u]: (any one can sink us)
* economy weakens further in '03-'04
* another 9-11
* another election fraud
* strong moderate-independant candidate (the wild-card)

[u]Possible pairings[/u]:
Bush/Cheney * likely
Bush/Powell * stronger (but worse for us)
Bush/Guliano * loser
Bush/Liddy * loser
Bush/McCain * strong but unlikely

[u]Possible opponents[/u]:
Gore/anyone * strong but probably too much baggage
Daschle/Edwards * stronger for Dems but still a loser
Kerry/Hitlery * even stronger for Dems, downright scarey
Kerry/Edwards * dangerous
McCain/Leiberman * very dangerous

[u]Independant Wild-Card[/u]:
McCain/Powell * Coronation time
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#21]
It is a sad state of affairs when a politician that pushes for status-quo gun laws, is classified by gun owners as being "pro-gun".
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Hillary/Gore in 2004!

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Can I vote again? I got confused and voted for Nader. [:)]

edited to add:
In reality I vote Libertarian all the time every time. [url]www.lp.org[/url] The only party who wants to abolish [u]all[/u] gun laws.[url]www.carlahowell.org/senate2000/repealgunlaws.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Jesus, five total choices in the poll, and three of them are "I'm going to vote for Bush" and one is "I'm not going to vote at all?"

Mighty narrow world-view you've got there.

That said, GWB lost my vote last month when he signed Campaign Finance Reform, and his letting Ashcroft run wild hasn't helped matters any either.  I find it very doubtful he'll do anything in the next two years to regain it, so the Libertarians will probably be able to count on my vote in '04.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Troy is right, due to the electoral college, those in heavy Democratic states vote Libertarian, it will give them votes and access to federal funds.

In swing states like mine Colorado, Bush is the only answer. Regarding the AW bill, I prefer the status quo to Kerry & Hilary cutting me down to a five round magazine and no semi-autos.

G.W. is less anti-gun than his dad, but I would only give him a C+.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Troy:  Nope, don't refuse to believe he is anything but Progun, I believe he is a politician, will do whatever he thinks will get him elected.  Of course, he isn't going to say "NO WAY will I sign an AW ban" before an election, hopefully after the elections this year he will understand that doing so will lose the election for him in 04, but maybe not.  Just because someone votes for bush, and knows he isn't as bad as gore, doesn't mean he worships Bush as a progun end all be all candidate.  Sorry you live in Kali....glad I moved when I did!  :-)

Zak:  The poll is narrow, just like our choices of how we keep what rights we have left.  I agree with the libertarians, and I voted for Perot in 92.  Well...we all see how well that worked!  Of course...my opinion is just my opinion and luckily (until another democrat enters office) we still have that right to disagree.  Of course, my opinion is correct....:-)  Vote Progun is my main point to all this poll and question, and in my mind, voting for a third party candidate is kind of like not joining the NRA.  Not very progun in the whole scheme of things.  Hmm...maybe that will be my next poll "How many are members of the NRA"
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#28]
If it nears election time, and Bush clearly states that he will sign another AW ban (equal to or worse than the one we have <94>) he will NOT get my vote. If he will make things better for us, I will gladly vote for him.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#29]
In 1992, I wasted my vote.  I threw it away on George Bush the First because I was afraid Clinton would get elected.

I voted for that Bush1 scumbag even though he banned the import of "assault weapons" in 1989.  He could have made a nice speech on TV, stating that the term "assault weapon" was a bunch of bullshit and that a bayonet lug didn't make a rifle any more dangerous than the lack of one.  Instead, he told the nation that, by executive order, he had banned the import of such evil guns as the HK91.

Clinton got elected anyway.  What a waste of a vote.

Even if Bush1 had won, it would have been a waste, since he couldn't care less about any of our rights -- not just guns, he caved in on taxation, screwed up royally on the Gulf War, "forgot" about helping to rebuild Afghanistan (look where that got us!). . . .

The poll is badly done.  There are rarely any "independents" running for President.  There are always third-party politicians, most of whom are working their asses off to bring up issues that the media totally ignores.  Issues like how the Second Amendment actually means something.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I'll be voting for a Libertarian Canidate come 2004. I've been waffling on voting for Bush for various reasons, but signing the Campain Finance Reform bill was the nail in the coffin. He WON'T get my vote.
I voted for Alan Keyes in the Repubican Primary, and I voted for Bush in the general election, despite my better judgement. I was in a swing state, and I didn't want to throw my vote away, but in the end Gore got our electoral votes anyway.
Now, with Bush pro-war and pro-interventionism, signing the CFR bill, signing the Education bill, passing the meager tax cut, leaning anti gun, and supporting other Big Government proposals, I can't in good conscience vote for him.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Achmed...the poll is done sort of like most "Anti" polls...it shows what I wanted it to show.  Well actually, in this case what I a'feared it would show.  Independent is sort of a catch all for third party...but I concede that I should have said third party.  In my opinion, I don't think you threw away your vote, I think that others didn't help you by doing their part.  I was one of those, I voted for Perot.  Live and learn, but I can't see how a conservative could be worse in office than a liberal.  Yeah, Bush screwed us, but we were so much better off with Clinton.  Again, I wonder if all politicians knew that gun owners would vote single issue whether they would chance sure defeat.  Thanks all for your opinions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I am a Libertarian but I only vote pro-gun.  People say I am a one issue voter but I feel that a candidate's stand on the Second Ammendment says a lot about his allegiance to the Constitution.  I would bet every paycheck until 2004 that the AW ban will be continued.  Its only going to get worse people, they are working at a progressive agenda that will ultimately lead to your door getting kicked in and your weapons confiscated.  Do what you can, vote pro-gun and write letters, keep up the pressure and get other people into shooting.  DON'T sit on your ass and whine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#33]
If I had to vote for someone today it would more than likely be Bush.  However, every once in a while he does something that makes his stock go down a few points with me.  Odds are by election time I will definately want someone but who knows.  Something might happen which will make me like him as much as when he moved into the White House.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't vote.  It only encourages them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, I'll be voting for a Libertarian Canidate come 2004. I've been waffling on voting for Bush for various reasons, but signing the Campain Finance Reform bill was the nail in the coffin. He WON'T get my vote.
View Quote

Don't forget the latest from the dubyah administration: access to medical records without consent. Typical of the party line towers, they enthusiastically support this crap, but convienently forget they were screaming bloody murder when the klinton administration wanted THE SAME THING 2 years ago.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a gut feeling that he will not let another AW ban happen.I thikn he will stick to his "More gun laws dont prevent crime" ideal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[i]Many a slip twixt cup and lip[/i]

[u]Cake-walk[/u]: (unstoppable Bush)
* robust economy in '03-'04

[u]Easy Trails[/u]: (must have two of three)
* stable economy
* Mideast stablizing
* Saddam/OBL/Omar head on a stick and an Arab coalition

[u]Icebergs[/u]: (any one can sink us)
* economy weakens further in '03-'04
* another 9-11
* another election fraud
* strong moderate-independant candidate (the wild-card)

[u]Possible pairings[/u]:
Bush/Cheney * likely
Bush/Powell * stronger (but worse for us)
Bush/Guliano * loser
Bush/Liddy * loser
Bush/McCain * strong but unlikely

[u]Possible opponents[/u]:
Gore/anyone * strong but probably too much baggage
Daschle/Edwards * stronger for Dems but still a loser
Kerry/Hitlery * even stronger for Dems, downright scarey
Kerry/Edwards * dangerous
McCain/Leiberman * very dangerous

[u]Independant Wild-Card[/u]:
McCain/Powell * Coronation time
View Quote

WHY IS THERE NO JESSE AND DONALD
OR VICE-VERSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top