Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2002 6:07:15 PM EDT
BAD ASS SEAL OR BULLSHITTER????
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the stuff in his books is vague.
That alone smells like BS to me.

I have heard he was a SEAL but all the stories are fiction.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
NO CHIT HE WAS A SEAL. HE WAS THE COMMANDER OF SEAL TEAM 2, FOUNDER AND FIRST CO OF SEAL TEAM SIX. COMMMANDER OF RED CELL. ONE FORMER SEAL CAPTAIN SAID HE SAT OUT SOME COMBAT IN VIETNAM, AFTER ONE OF HIS MEN WAS KILLED. HE ALSO TELLS CONFLICTING STORY ABOUT HOW THE MAN WAS KILLED.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Marcinko is a sad case.  He was a kick-ass SEAL with alot of great ideas who could have gone far.  Unfortunately his ego expanded exponentially and coupled with a serious drinking habit destroyed his career and reputation.  He has done everything from twisted the facts to outright lied in some of his written accounts of his exploits.  He is also a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
NO CHIT HE WAS A SEAL. HE WAS THE COMMANDER OF SEAL TEAM 2, FOUNDER AND FIRST CO OF SEAL TEAM SIX. COMMMANDER OF RED CELL. ONE FORMER SEAL CAPTAIN SAID HE SAT OUT SOME COMBAT IN VIETNAM, AFTER ONE OF HIS MEN WAS KILLED. HE ALSO TELLS CONFLICTING STORY ABOUT HOW THE MAN WAS KILLED.
View Quote
Please release your caps lock key.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
SORRY TO BOTHER YOU, YOUR heiness[sex]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
He was there when it counted.   That's good enough for me.

As far as the criminal record is concerned, a partial version of his side of it is available  in his non-fiction book, and I don't think any of us has enough facts to know whether those were good charges or not.  

Keep in mind, he made a lot of enemies, some of whom got to positions where they could screw him good.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Larry was just trying to keep you from looking dumb/ignorant.  It's an internet 'convention'. 'All Caps' is like yelling.  There are some others you'll pick up when you've been around a while.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
There almost seem to be two "Demo Dick's".  There's the Hunter And Shooter SEAL from Viet Nam, and the egomaniac from Team 6 days.
The SEAL community is divided as to who he really is.

It appears that when he was commander and startup man for Six, he got carried away with his ego and got on a power trip.  He was ordered to stand Six up ASAP, but he started to enjoy sticking it in the eye of top brass a little too much.  They got pissed off and nailed his butt, spending a huge amount of taxpayers money to do it.

The willing-to-die-for-his-men, changed into a commander that turned a minor car fender-bender into a situation where he did the one unforgivable thing an officer can do....he tried to lay the blame off on an enlisted man.
Second, when he was no longer Six's commander he tried some scam with a company that made stun grenades.  He tried to fob these off on Six, and get a kick-back from the company.  That's what he got slammer time for.

The real problem may have been his inability or unwilliness to change from the old "root'in toot'in SEAL to the more quiet professionals the times called for.  The Navy was no longer in a mood to put up with the antics and drunken behavior.  If nothing else Marcinko wasn't going to change.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
[img]http://www.navysealteams.com/rmhh.gif[/img]

Anyone that served 2 tours in Vietnam, won the Silver Star, four bronze stars with combat V, two Navy Commendation Medals, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Silver Star. and who' SEAL platoon became such an enemy killing force, that the Viet Cong posted a reward of 50,000 piasters for his death.....

deserves our respect.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
do you feel better now that i am not yelling at you? i already knew the little rule what all caps meant. i like caps. CAPS CAPS CAPS.sorry i'm yelling again.[puke]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
And on that note, I respect [b]any man[/b] who spent time in SEA during Vietnam.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#12]
my thoughts exactly satcong, just wanted to hear others opinions, seems nobody really knows to much about this topic. but they sure know rules about typing. not what i was looking for
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello all,
respect the man, let the men who served with him question his judgement and actions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hello all,
respect the man, let the men who served with him question his judgement and actions.
View Quote

This was well said!

How come I never have any good sayings like that!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#15]
he made his story public. we all have the right to know the truth. some of his own people disagree with his version of events. dont get me wrong i have read all of his books,bought his videos, i would just like to know the truth behind the man. not that i would expect to find that here. just want to know others opinions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#16]
My problem is that I tend to idolize [b]anyone[/b] who fought for us in SEA.  I was a kid then and they were my heros.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I met Marcinko on a book signing tour for his fourth book. For a guy who is about my height and size. He has one helluva grip. I do believe some of the stories in his autobiography. But being a biography, there are times in the novel there is evidence of embelishment. I have also read the Pointman, Combat Swimmer, and Orr Kelley's Seal history book. There is some conflicting information to some of the events had involved with Marcinko. It just depends on the point of view that everyone has of Marcinko.
The only real non-partisin view point I would let everyon be the judge is the 60 minutes interview with Mike Wallace.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
have not seen the 60minutes segment if you have it on tape would love to have one. i have read every book on seals that is available just finished ONE PERFECT OP. i also keep up with delta, sas, macvsog,
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, I do not have on tape the 60 mins interview. Transcripts are available from 60 mins. You would need to find out from CBS if they would sell that particular 60 mins show.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I was in a little Cajun eatery in Atlanta last year and an elderly couple, a great looking late 40s lady and a guy who I'd SWEAR was Marchinko. Well as they were getting set to go I went over to just say that I'd enjoyed some of his books and thanks for his sevrvice. He denied being Marchinko but was real polite. The other three shared knowing looks. I'm sure it was him.

Assuming I was not mistaken, and I really do not think I was, I guess he maybe gets a lot of nut cases or something, eh?

I agree with some of ya'll here. He has been there, done that. That is more than worthy of respect.

Anyway, I thought I'd chime in with my 1 cent...
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I went with a coworker/retired Navy friend to a book signing to see Demo Dick.
It was extremely entertaining.
For a guy who's been there and done that and lived to tell about it, including selling lots of books, whatever trouble he's been in or money he wanted to make, I admire him.
He still wins.
Whatever some of those pencil-dicked, puke-breath, no-load, shit-for-brains, numb-nutted dolphin-polishers would like you to think, he AIN'T stupid! [;D]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
he seems to be a very intuitive business man,
but he wrights vague fiction novels.
sorry guys I don't buy into his ethos.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I went with a coworker/retired Navy friend to a book signing to see Demo Dick.
It was extremely entertaining.
For a guy who's been there and done that and lived to tell about it, including selling lots of books, whatever trouble he's been in or money he wanted to make, I admire him.
He still wins.
Whatever some of those pencil-dicked, puke-breath, no-load, shit-for-brains, numb-nutted dolphin-polishers would like you to think, he AIN'T stupid! [;D]
View Quote

don't forget pus-nuts - don't want this to turn into a G.F., si[cu]r!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Chief Jim Watson is a friend of mine...and he has a lot of respect for Mr. Marcinko. I respect HIS opinion, since he served in SEA with Marcinko (His nick is 'Patches', for those of you who just joined us.) I think that the facts of the situation are known to only a few people, and the rest of us are just speculating on things we don't know shit about.

QS
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Everyone who posted here and pays taxes as a US Citizen is ultimately in charge of the military. Don't look or pass the buck behind you because nobody is there. There is a fine line between not evaluating or judging the military and being the guy or gal that bankrolls it all. Walk it carefully but walk it firmly. Voting is a serious responsibility.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Everyone who posted here and pays taxes as a US Citizen is ultimately in charge of the military. Don't look or pass the buck behind you because there is nobody there. There is a fine line between not evaluating or judging the military and being the guy or gal that bankrolls it all. Walk it carefully but walk it firmly.
View Quote

Yes, but there is a difference between passing judgement on an organization that demonstrates measurable results and offering an opinion on an individual without having all the facts.  I KNOW that he is a combat-proven warrior.  I also THINK that he is PROBABLY a windbag, but that's only a hunch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#28]
The man served his time well and deserves the respect due him!  I Have read many books on Navy Seals as well as all of R M's non fiction and fiction and I have to say that the man has been there done that.

When I read his stuff I can hardly stop laughing my ass off!  His books are a really good read BUT, they are beggining to get a little bit "long of tooth".  The man needs to dream-up some new gags to keep me buying his work.

(yelling)  COME ON RICHARD LETS SEE SOME NEW STUFF ALREADY!!!!!!!!!   :(
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Larry was just trying to keep you from looking dumb/ignorant.  It's an internet 'convention'. 'All Caps' is like yelling.  There are some others you'll pick up when you've been around a while.
View Quote

Too late!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#30]
He should have stopped with his first book or maybe after "Red Cell".  The rest are just re-hashed plot machine pulp reminiscent of Mack Bolan or some of those other god-awful, bloodthirsty mini-novels from the '80s.  

On Marcinko, I'm torn.  Here is a guy who is a total maverick and did his best but it was a for a morally corrupt government in a war that was unnecessary and a total waste of human life on both sides.  He should have protested the war, not fought in it!  So I respect his fortitute and courage, but I totally disagree with his worldview and motivations.  Some kind of strange duality going on there, I guess.  What does it mean when a man wants to be the very best killer he can be?  What purpose does that serve except to be complicit in the destruction of civilization?  There is nothing noble about being a warrior.  It's a dirty, nasty profession that has to exist but should never be celebrated the way it is.  I think Jesse Ventura has a much better outlook, but I would love to have a conversation with Marcinko sometime.  We would either become friends or he would kill me.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Too late!
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#32]
About 10 years ago I drove about 40 miles to see Richard and have him sign a book.  I got there an hour early and they were not set-up yet so I came back 30 mins later. Now the line was out the door (appeared to be at least an hours wait). So, I instead walked up to the front saw him surrounded by all these geek-book-weenies and said "the hell with it" and drove home......
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
About 10 years ago I drove about 40 miles to see Richard and have him sign a book.  I got there an hour early and they were not set-up yet so I came back 30 mins later. Now the line was out the door (appeared to be at least an hours wait). So, I instead walked up to the front saw him surrounded by all these geek-book-weenies and said "the hell with it" and drove home......
View Quote

Haha.  That's about my level of patience with anything involving a line, especially when I recognize that I'm running with a pack of losers.  I might wait in a line with a bunch of losers for a free AR, MAYBE.  But with my luck they'd probably run out just as I got near the front anyways.  I have avoided airports since last Sept., but next week I have to fly someplace.  I hope I don't kill anyone.  Arrghh!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I was in a little Cajun eatery in Atlanta last year and an elderly couple, a great looking late 40s lady and a guy who I'd SWEAR was Marchinko
View Quote

Dude, if you consider late 40's to be "elderly" then you must be about 12, correct?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#35]
So who has the 60 mins tape or wants to sell a copy of it?

Please email me-

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top