Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 10:41:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 6:44:32 AM EST by THellURider]
Ok guys,

I have a 2007 GTi with about 25,000 on the odometer. It's a manual transmission. This is a 2.0 liter Turbo, FWD.

Everything was fine until this afternoon. In fact, I spent Saturday flinging this little go kart through the Alps. (I live in Austria at the moment)

Today, after work I get in, and as I'm driving down the street I noticed that something didn't feel right. Well, it's very sluggish. Doesn't accelerate with the usual gusto and wheel spin. Hmm.

I get home, change and what not and then head to the gym. Same deal, but it's too cold in the car sitting in my gym shorts that I don't think much of it. Well, on the way home I'm thinking something is really wrong. And I'm trying to gun it through the rev range just to make sure it's not just me being overly sensitive. As I pull onto my street, the yellow check engine light comes on.

I'm worried because the shops around here charge an arm and a leg for repairs.

The revs aren't just happening without any acceleration so it's not a clutch, I don't think. It just isn't accelerating as it should. It's like someone removed the turbo or something.

Anyhow any ideas?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

Ok, so the computer said there was no boost pressure. <gulp>

I left it at the shop and they looked it over. I'm translating what he said from German so I don't know the correct term but the problem was a valve that is inline behind the turbo that, if I understand correctly, is a one way valve so that air doesn't flow backward from the engine to the turbo. I guess this is where a blow off valve would maybe go? Anyhow, the rubber there had failed and so I was, as I described, in essence running a "2.0 Slow" i.e. a 2.liter 4 banger without a turbo.

It'll be fixed tomorrow for much less than I was afraid of.

That failing at 25k has me thinking this may be my last VW.

Update 2:

Half a cookie.

Here's how I feel right now:

So I was supposed to pick up the car today after they fixed the above item. I call them at 4:30 since I hadn't heard anything. The convo went like this:

"Well Trider... we fixed the piece, reset the computer and the fault is gone... BUT the car is still not producing power."

"... Uhh ok... What does that mean?"

"We have no idea. The master tech wants to look tomorrow."

Fuck my life. I see Euro's just burning up in my pocket.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:01:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 11:01:31 AM EST by jeremy223]

Originally Posted By THellURider:
VW

I found the problem!

The car is in limp mode and running low boost. You need to have the stored code read to begin troubleshooting. It should be under warranty still? Take it to a VW dealer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:08:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By jeremy223:

VW

I found the problem!

The car is in limp mode and running low boost. You need to have the stored code read to begin troubleshooting. It should be under warranty still? Take it to a VW dealer.

Ya no warranty; it went out the window when i exported it.

and ya, I know VW... yada yada.

I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow... F.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:24:12 AM EST
Know anyone with an OBD2 code reader? You can read the code and see if it is a simple problem/solution before taking it to the dealer.

Check the forums at vwvortex.com
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:32:32 AM EST
Know anyone with an OBD2 code reader? You can read the code and see if it is a simple problem/solution before taking it to the dealer.

Check the forums at vwvortex.com

No I'm SOL. It's off to the stealership... and it's worse here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:01:32 PM EST
For future use, you may want to check ebay for a "VAG-COM" cable and software. It will allow you to connect a laptop the OBD2 port. A VAG-COM, Bentley service manual, and vwvortex.com account are just about prerequisites for owning a VW.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:10:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 12:15:25 PM EST by THellURider]
For future use, you may want to check ebay for a "VAG-COM" cable and software. It will allow you to connect a laptop the OBD2 port. A VAG-COM, Bentley service manual, and vwvortex.com account are just about prerequisites for owning a VW.

Ya I know but I'm selling the car within 6 weeks before I move back stateside. I was contemplating a 2010 GTi but I think I'm gonna move on.

ETA: Fuck my life.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:31:30 PM EST
one possibility:
dead ignition coil

35 dollar part and 20 minutes to replace
Diagnosing which of the 4 has died is "tricky" sans OBD reader

When the coils die, it idles rough and you have spotty drivability with solid or blinking CEL

they can also go into "LIMP Mode" when they sense something out of wack
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:36:49 PM EST
make sure your ignition coils are seated properly. My buddy is a Audi mechanic and when we bought out 06 A4 with the 2.0L turbo he mentioned that the coils(individual coil pack for each cylinder) sometimes do not seat all the way or go dead. He tossed me an extra one just in case we ever have a problem and said they are prone to fail on the 2.0 engines. I know Audi and VW arent the same but they are similar in design.

But yes it sounds like you arent running on all cylinders
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:40:43 PM EST
Jeeze, VAG still hasn't figured out how to make coil packs? I was replacing those POSs on my 1999.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:49:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By stretch415:
make sure your ignition coils are seated properly. My buddy is a Audi mechanic and when we bought out 06 A4 with the 2.0L turbo he mentioned that the coils(individual coil pack for each cylinder) sometimes do not seat all the way or go dead. He tossed me an extra one just in case we ever have a problem and said they are prone to fail on the 2.0 engines. I know Audi and VW arent the same but they are similar in design.

But yes it sounds like you arent running on all cylinders

Ya it's the same motor.

I'll see what the stealership says tomorrow and go from there. I hope it's something as easy as you suggest. In fact, I pray.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:50:18 PM EST
I'm not an expert on VW's but I would check all the hoses going to and from the turbo and intercooler.
Hopefully for you its something simple.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:09:47 PM EST
I had two GTI's in my life. An absolutely bulletproof '84 and a sometimes troublesome '89 16V. The '89 became bulletproof around 30K miles, but that's another story. I had a similar experience with the sluggishness, etc. In my case, it was the knock sensor intermittently sending false knock signals and retarding the timing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:49:10 PM EST
I have had CELs from dead Coil Packs several times with my 2002 1.8T

a couple of years back it CELed and got real balky, I limped it home
(if you don't ignite the fuel in the cylinder, it can flame up in the catalytic)
and dropped it off for a diagnostic at VW.

They said i had 2 faults on coil packs and they recommended replacing all 4
at 89 dollars each and 1000 in labor!

I said no thanks, paid for the diagnosis
and then bought one Cpack from the parts department
for 38 bucks!

I pulled around the corner and popped out #4 and dropped in the new CP

It ran fine for 2 years until #2 CP fired out
I replaced it last october & 2 weeks ago #2 failed again

I keep a spare CP in my boot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:24:10 AM EST
UPDATE:

I left it at the shop and they looked it over. I'm translating what he said from German so I don't know the correct term but the problem was a valve that is inline behind the turbo that, if I understand correctly, is a one way valve so that air doesn't flow backward from the engine to the turbo. I guess this is where a blow off valve would maybe go? Anyhow, the rubber there had failed and so I was, as I described, in essence running a "2.0 Slow" i.e. a 2.liter 4 banger without a turbo.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:46:22 AM EST

wastegate?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:49:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By yumbeef:

wastegate?

Thanks, ya that's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:26:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 1:26:57 PM EST by MisterS]
UPDATE:

What do I win?
Seriously, I'm, glad it was nothing major.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:42:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/4/2009 6:43:20 AM EST by THellURider]
Originally Posted By MisterS:
UPDATE:

What do I win?
Seriously, I'm, glad it was nothing major.

Half a cookie.

Here's how I feel right now:

So I was supposed to pick up the car today after they fixed the above item. I call them at 4:30 since I hadn't heard anything. The convo went like this:

"Well Trider... we fixed the piece, reset the computer and the fault is gone... BUT the car is still not producing power."

"... Uhh ok... What does that mean?"

"We have no idea. The master tech wants to look tomorrow."

Fuck my life. I see Euro's just burning up in my pocket.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:26:53 PM EST
Nothing to add on your problem but I had a '90 or '91 (cant remember now) GTI that I bought brand new back then. I loved that car except it was a huge POS. The wipers kept coming on by themselves while driving down the road. Replaced the wiper relay 3 TIMES. The water pump went out TWICE and it was rusting aroung the windshield. This with less than 10k miles (I bought it brand new). Finally traded it in on a Ford Probe GT (great car back in the day)

Over the years I have always followed the GTI hoping that they would have gotten their shot together and made a reliable car. I guess after reading this and all the other trail of tears on the net about the GTI over the years, they havent.

Same reason I passed on the A4 and went for an Infiniti
Top Top