Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 10:13:40 AM EDT
From the Ready.gov website:

* Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
   * Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
   * Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
   * Flashlight and extra batteries
   * First aid kit
   * Whistle to signal for help
   * Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
   * Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
   * Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
   * Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
   * Local maps

Additional Items to Consider Adding to an Emergency Supply Kit:

* Prescription medications and glasses
   * Infant formula and diapers
   * Pet food and extra water for your pet
   * Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
   * Cash or traveler's checks and change
   * Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from www.ready.gov
   * Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
   * Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
   * Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
   * Fire Extinguisher
   * Matches in a waterproof container
   * Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
   * Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
   * Paper and pencil
   * Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children

See anything missing? Maybe something...oh, I don't know...FIREARM RELATED?

I'm not surprised, really. It's just interesting.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Firearms....

ETA...training of any kind....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]
  Maybe they left firearms, knives, and pepper spray off so
people cant protect themselves and have to beg the gov for help...
makes me sick.

I'm sure in a disaster everyone will follow the honor system like NOLA

Here's our recommended items:

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=11

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The firearm issue aside, it is a decent starting point. If everyone in NOLA had three days worth of food and water, Katrina would have been nothing but some property damage.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Why guns?  They'll just be taking them away at the shelter.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The firearm issue aside, it is a decent starting point. If everyone in NOLA had three days worth of food and water, Katrina would have been nothing but some property damage.

No, I don't have a huge problem with the list as it stands, other than it is little more than a life-prolonging kit, not a true survival kit. You can't survive with it for more than a few days, and without a firearm, you have little chance of acquiring more food for your family.

So, it's just a kit to make life a little more comfortable until the Feds show up with relief.

IF they show up at all, that is...
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm all about being prepared, but this is over simplifying what happenned in NOLA.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The people who use those instructions will probably use this as a Bug Out Bag.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/di/disney-piglet-backpack-pink.jpg
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm all about being prepared, but this is over simplifying what happenned in NOLA.  

Yeah, it is oversimplifying an event that has it's roots in the growth and perpetuation of the welfare / entitlement culture in our society, corrupt and inept local and state goverment and a whole slew of other dynamics, but you know what I mean. We had a solid response to Katrina in a matter of a few days. If the folk on the ground there had the most basic of supplies, most of the "horror' that the media jumped on simply wouldn't have existed.

I take preparedness fairly seriously, and agree that the ability for self sustainment for at least a few weeks should be considered a basic form of insurance. My point here though is that even the most rudementary preps could have a huge effect on the scope of such a disaster if everyone bothered.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/di/disney-piglet-backpack-pink.jpg

+1

Instructions...throw bag out of window...

Put head between legs and kiss your ass goodye...

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#10]
i love the whistle part!

I knew a guy he use to say, what do i need supplies for I have a rifle anything i want I can take from a sheep.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, given the fact that three days of food and water isn't going to do you a damn bit of good if your house is under 15 feet of water.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Possible weapons

matches,
can opener
flashlight
wrench or pliers
Pencil
cash

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why guns?  They'll just be taking them away at the shelter.  

whats this shelter you speek of? i made it through Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, and maybe a dozen others. im not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/di/disney-piglet-backpack-pink.jpg

awesome, group buy
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
i love the whistle part!

I knew a guy he use to say, what do i need supplies for I have a rifle anything i want I can take from a sheep.

this reminds me of what I use to say when the Y2K scare was all big and peope at work figured Id stock pile....I wasa like why I own a pistol I can hunt cow...LOL
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i love the whistle part!

this reminds me of what I use to say when the Y2K scare was all big and peope at work figured Id stock pile....I wasa like why I own a pistol I can hunt cow...LOL

I wonder how many on this forum would turn bandit and try to kill those of us who really have prepared, if things got bad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
It's not a bad list for starters.

Remember, this list came from our gubernment, who's job is to serve and protect us, with them around, we don't need weapons.  (insert massive amounts of sarcasm...*here*)
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I have laughed (sarcastically) about that since the day the website went online.
As far as I am concerned, no gun = no survival. If you make it it will be mostly luck that got you through. I dont fear the initial event, I fear the civil unrest that follows. Water and food arent going to do much good when marrauding gangs take yours away from you.

As stated by others, its a great starting point for most people to get them through a day or two of discomfort. For protracted survival it provides little.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, it is oversimplifying an event that has it's roots in the growth and perpetuation of the welfare / entitlement culture in our society, corrupt and inept local and state goverment and a whole slew of other dynamics, but you know what I mean. We had a solid response to Katrina in a matter of a few days. If the folk on the ground there had the most basic of supplies, most of the "horror' that the media jumped on simply wouldn't have existed.

I take preparedness fairly seriously, and agree that the ability for self sustainment for at least a few weeks should be considered a basic form of insurance. My point here though is that even the most rudementary preps could have a huge effect on the scope of such a disaster if everyone bothered.

I completely agree on the growth and perpetuation of the nanny state mentality, and living here my whole life, I know a thing or three about inept state/local government.  However, I wouldn't call the federal government's performance during that mess a "solid response."  A lot of shitbags lost their houses and everything they owned, but so did a lot of decent, hardworking people.  If anyone learned anything from Katrina, i hope it was the fact that you shouldn't depend on anyone but yourself in the event of a disaster, and sure as hell don't depend on the government to help you at all.  Be prepared!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i love the whistle part!

I wonder how many on this forum would turn bandit and try to kill those of us who really have prepared, if things got bad.

I doubt you'll have to worry about us.  It's the local and federal authorities who will be knocking on your door looking for "hoarders".    Your hoard will be confinscated to feed the deserving masses, comrade.   That food you thought would be good for 12 months?   Gone.

You can bet they'll come knocking on mormon's doors first.  They know you'll have a year's worth of food....
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
The people that don't already have a gun aren't going to buy one even if it says so on that list.
Hell, I'm sure almost every person that does any of the things on that list to prepare already has a gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i love the whistle part!

Your whistle can be heard much further than you can yell.

I recommend an Acme Thunderer.  Not the big basketball whistle.  The small one (like band drum majors use) can be heard farther as it has a higher pitch.  

Put the whistle on a good cord to hang around your neck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#25]
You really want all the bozos that live around you to have guns and think they can use them?

95% in this country are far more dangerous to me and mine and theirs with guns they wouldn't know what to do with.  Luckily they don't have them.  I'ld prefer it stay that way.  And on that point the .gov is preparing instructions for the 95% that can't think for themselves.  Unfortunately THAT is a good use of .gov resources.

I want everybody being ready on their own and not deciding they need to come after my supplies or come toi my house because I'm the only prepared one in the immediate area.  (Besides there are several LARGE grocery chain warehouses within a few blocks of where I lie.  When I go there I want to be let immediately to the front of the line.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:38:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

How can you expect people who can't think past how they are gonna get their next pack of smokes, hit of rock, and 40 oz. to keep 3 days supply of food and water?

Especially when their neighbors would steal it to buy their next hit of rock?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you expect people who can't think past how they are gonna get their next pack of smokes, hit of rock, and 40 oz. to keep 3 days supply of food and water?

Kinda like Detroit.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think of it as evolution in action.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top