Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 5:23:56 PM EDT

DHS police officer accidentally shoots 16-year-old
March 20, 2006, 08:48 PM EST  DHS police officer accidentally shoots 16-year-old

Tonight NewsChannel 3 is investigating reports of a shooting involving a Desert Hot Springs police officer that apparently injured 16-year-old boy. It happened two Saturdays ago in front of a home in the 66- 300 block of Buena Vista Avenue in Desert Hot Springs.

The police department waited for days to release any information about the shooting.

On March 11th, an officer and a 16-year-old police explorer, a sort of police "intern," came here after two brothers began to fight in those apartments. We've learned a dog charged at the officer. He then pulled his gun out and shot at the dog.

The shot missed and may have ricocheted, because seconds later, the 16-year-old had a puncture wound in the arm and had metal taken out at the hospital.

We've learned one of the officers in the shooting was Robert Ritchie. Sources tell us that he was the one who fired the gun.

He's also a councilmember in the city of San Jacinto.

Ritchie is also running for Riverside County Sheriff against Bob Doyle.

The police chief says that Ritchie is not in trouble and that the 16-year-old is fine.

The man who's dog was shot talks anonymously to NewsChannel 3.

“When I looked back, the boy said, ‘I'm hit!’ That's all I remember.”

The dog that charged the officer was shot in the leg. Seconds after the bullet hit that dog, metal fragments hit the 16-year-old police explorer that was next to the officer.

We've left multiple messages with the police chief over the past week to explain why it took five days for them to reveal that a teenager was injured after an officer fired their gun.

We've got no response yet.

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=4658589
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a genuine accident.  shit happens
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Dog.
Policeman.
Gun.

Nothing further needs to be said.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dog.
Policeman.
Gun.

Nothing further needs to be said.

Remember Eric Hall?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
First it says the shot "missed" then it says it hit the dog in the leg.
Be sure of your target and what is around it............
It sounds bad but he may have saved the Explorer from a serious dog bite.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First it says the shot "missed" then it says it hit the dog in the leg.
Be sure of your target and what is around it............
It sounds bad but he may have saved the Explorer from a serious dog bite.

Very true, may have saved the explorer or himself. I thought this would be a feel good story because it sounds like the dog lived.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
"SECONDS AFTER THE BULLET HIT THAT DOG?"

Either that was the slowest bullet in modern history or somebody involved with this story is full of it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
dog-cop-innocent bystander-wheres the cat? this one almost has it all...LOL..
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]
They haven't come clean over a week later? Pigs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Come clean about what?  I didnt realize the police had to report to the media
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have met a few cops that I like.  One or two that I shoot with and would trust with my six.  Many more than that were power tripping assholes.  But you will never see me utter the word "pig" in regards to a police officer.  It's juvenile and disrespectful.

There are quite a few of the "good" cops on this board.  Edit your comment please.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have met a few cops that I like.  One or two that I shoot with and would trust with my six.  Many more than that were power tripping assholes.  But you will never see me utter the word "pig" in regards to a police officer.  It's juvenile and disrespectful.

There are quite a few of the "good" cops on this board.  Edit your comment please.

You are quite correct. There are good cops on the board, to them I appologize for my juvinile and disrespectful comment. The bad ones can FOAD.

As for editing my comment, I have been quoted twice, so editing my comment would only serve to show how easily swayed I would be, even if I am wrong.

We've left multiple messages with the police chief over the past week to explain why it took five days for them to reveal that a teenager was injured after an officer fired their gun.

Obviously they are not beholding to the media. However, they would look better to at least give a BS statement.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are quite correct. There are good cops on the board, to them I appologize for my juvinile and disrespectful comment. The bad ones can FOAD.

As for editing my comment, I have been quoted twice, so editing my comment would only serve to show how easily swayed I would be, even if I am wrong.

Obviously they are not beholding to the media. However, they would look better to at least give a BS statement.

Thanks.....even though many times we are right to bitch about some of the asinine things cops do, a slur like that applied in a general fashion, seems to paint even the good ones with an ugly brush.  

And they would be well off to issue some sort of statement as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Ban cops with guns - its for the kids DOGS!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"SECONDS AFTER THE BULLET HIT THAT DOG?"

Either that was the slowest bullet in modern history or somebody involved with this story is full of it.

Welcome to the matrix.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No Glock fo-tay.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Glock fo-tay.

doh!! how could i miss that..
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#18]
How about using some frangible ammo next time hmmmm.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top