Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 6:35:53 AM EDT
I've purchased guns, yet never understood what all REALLY happens from the administrative side.  

So when I find the gun I want and fill out the "yellow form", and provide a CHL to facilitate the background process,

1. What steps are taken by the dealer?  
2. Who gets called?  
3. What information/numbers/serial numbers are provided and to whom?  
4. Where does the yellow form go?  When?
5. Does the yellow form get destroyed in 20 days?  
6. Any other processes done related to the transaction?

ie: what's the entire PROCESS that goes on to purchase a firearm from a dealer?
Thx-
~m38a1

ETA:
Clarifications
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#1]
thought you filled out the yellow form, showed them your chl, paid and left.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure, that's the easy part, but WHO do they call?  What info do the provide?  (me/gun etc)  Who retains the yellow form?  Does it go somewhere?  How long is it kept?

~m38a1
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Here in NYS if you make the purchase and have your permit and a valid NICS coupon, you fill out the paperwork, you get your receipt, I keep my copies of any purchase coupons, yellow forms, etc, and off you go.No permit, then I have to call the Feds for a check on you. No serial numbers on the weapons are given; they basically ask the type of gun and ask me to recite some of the answers you've provided on the paperwork you filled out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#4]
 I don't think they ever really call anybody.  They just pretend to dial and then:  

"Un-huh..mumblemumble....2,3,4,mumble....xyz......uh-Huh..."

Then they tell you if you can take it home that day or if you have to wait and come back later, depending on whether or not you were playing with yourself while they were 'on the phone'.

I always take advantage of the 'phone call' phase to pop off with loud remarks like:  "Tell them it's OK -- I'm packing a loaded pistol right now!"  A little humor will show them you're just a regular guy.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked this up on a previous thread and it got me thinking....

Does the yellow form get destroyed after 20 days?

Title 18 Section 923 of the U.S. Code concerns the licensing of gun dealers and appears to support Van Cleave's position. It contains the following restrictions on the information collected during the process of a gun purchase:

"(g)(3)(B) Except in the case of forms and contents thereof regarding a purchaser who is prohibited by [federal law] from receipt of a firearm, the department of State police or State law enforcement agency or local law enforcement agency of the local jurisdiction shall not disclose any such form or the contents thereof to any person or entity, and shall destroy each such form and any record of the contents thereof no more than 20 days from the date such form is received."

Does this happen?  Does the dealer who sold the gun forward the yellow form to someone?  Destroying a form does not mean the contents aren't in a database somewhere and there's no destruction of that record...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Here in oregon, when you fill out the yellow form, the FFL just calls the state police to run the instant background check, provides them with the model number and serial number of whatever you are buying, and thats it.  Takes 5 minutes, tops.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump for the night crew...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Dealer is required to keep the yellow forms for 20 years at his shop.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
1. What steps are taken by the dealer?  
2. Who gets called?  
3. What information/numbers/serial numbers are provided and to whom?  
4. Where does the yellow form go?  When?
5. Does the yellow form get destroyed in 20 days?  
6. Any other processes done related to the transaction?

In AZ:
1. You have experienced the steps.
2. FBI National Instant Check System. NICS
3. When we call the FBI we identify ourselves with our FFL number and a code word.  We then tell them your name, Date & Place of birth, Race, height, weight, SS# if given, state of citizenship and country of citizenship based on what you have entered on the form 4473.  We then tell them if the purchase is for a handgun, long gun or both.  If it is multiple handguns we have to fill out a special form.
4. The 4473 stays on file with the FFL until said FFL goes out of business.  The personal information we give to them about must "by law" be erased withing 24 hours.  There is no process in place to confirm that this happens.
5. No
6. If a gun that you purchased and later sold has been found at the scene of a crime FTroop will perform a trace on the Serial Number.  They will ask the manufacturer who they sold the gun too.  If it was a distributor they will ask the ditributor who they sold the gun too.  Eventually the FFL you bought the gun from will be contacted and they will demand all the information from the 4473 involved in that transaction.  Using this information they may or may not contact you to ask about the dispostion of the firearm in question.

Any Questions?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Perfect!  That's what I was looking for.  Now I know how the process works.
Thanks-
~m38a1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top