Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:28:29 AM EST
WASHINGTON -

D.C. police will seal off entire neighborhoods, set up checkpoints and kick out strangers under a new program that D.C. officials hope will help them rescue the city from its out-of-control violence.

Under an executive order expected to be announced today, police Chief Cathy L. Lanier will have the authority to designate “Neighborhood Safety Zones.” At least six officers will man cordons around those zones and demand identification from people coming in and out of them. Anyone who doesn’t live there, work there or have “legitimate reason” to be there will be sent away or face arrest, documents obtained by The Examiner show.

Lanier has been struggling to reverse D.C.’s spiraling crime rate but has been forced by public outcry to scale back several initiatives including her “All Hands on Deck” weekends and plans for warrantless, door-to-door searches for drugs and guns.

Under today’s proposal, the no-go zones will last up to 10 days, according to internal police documents. Front-line officers are already being signed up for training on running the blue curtains.

Peter Nickles, the city’s interim attorney general, said the quarantine would have “a narrow focus.”

“This is a very targeted program that has been used in other cities,” Nickles told The Examiner. “I’m not worried about the constitutionality of it.”

Others are. Kristopher Baumann, chairman of the D.C. police union and a former lawyer, called the checkpoint proposal “breathtaking.”

Shelley Broderick, president of the D.C.-area American Civil Liberties Union and the dean of the University of the District of Columbia’s law school, said the plan was “cockamamie.”

“I think they tried this in Russia and it failed,” she said. “It’s just our experience in this city that we always end up targeting poor people and people of color, and we treat the kids coming home from choir practice the same as we treat those kids who are selling drugs.”

The proposal has the provisional support of D.C. Councilman Harry “Tommy” Thomas, D-Ward 5, whose ward has become a war zone.

“They’re really going to crack down on what we believe to be a systemic problem with open-air drug markets,” Thomas told The Examiner.

Thomas said, though, that he worried about D.C. “moving towards a police state.”
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:33:51 AM EST
Didn't the Nazis do something vaguely like this in some Jewish ghettos back in the late 30s/early 40s?

Nice to know who DC's police chief wants to emulate.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:36:18 AM EST
Papers, please.

How do they get away with this crap?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:41:13 AM EST
Gee, I wonder which areas of the city they are all going to be in. Southeast perhaps?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:42:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bed_Head:
Papers, please.

the Facists have been in charge of DC for years and NYC and Boston and Chicago and L.A. and of course San FranCisco etc,,just now creeping out to the hinterlands, like Philly, Miami, Houston

be ready, they are coming to your town soon
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:44:16 AM EST
Has anyone in DC ever been worried about the Constitutionality of anything that they've done?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:02:01 PM EST
Maybe it would be safer if DC would give back some of the guns it confiscated to law-abiding folks and let nature, er Darwin, take its course.

Once Heller is decided in our favor, maybe you will see and early "harvest" in DC of some of the filth causing these problems. We can only hope.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:04:54 PM EST

Papers, please.

"Public safety" which the USSC has clarified they are under no obligation to provide. This is A widescale fishing expedition. Look for other departments to follow the precedent whether is successful or not.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:11:29 PM EST

Papers, please.

This is how they do it... Nickles told The Examiner. “I’m not worried about the constitutionality of it.”

Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
the Facists have been in charge of DC for years and NYC and Boston and Chicago and L.A. and of course San FranCisco etc,,just now creeping out to the hinterlands, like Philly, Miami, Houston

be ready, they are coming to your town soon

As for this happening in Miami, Florida. FAT FUCKING CHANCE.

We might have idiots running around but Miami is far from being a liberal haven. We're the largest group of Floridians with CCWs and also a good number of the population has lived under and fled either a Communist Government or a Drug Lord Dictatorship.

We don't forget this type of crap very easily. Hell, he still don't vote democrat because of Kennedy. And that was back in April of '61.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:27:53 PM EST
Wont they have to declare Martial Law to legally be able to do this. Sure does make me think about the Soviet Union.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:37:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By Peter Nickles, the city’s interim attorney general:

“I’m not worried about the constitution.”

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:41:04 PM EST
This is totall BS, WTF is going on??? How can they leaglly do this, so now apprently your not allowed rights ounce they put this lock down around your neighborhood??

Cop:Who are you?
Uhhm John

Cop:What are you doing here?
Uhhm walking my dog...

Cop:You dont live or work in this neighborhood?
Uhhm no, just walking the dog, I live a couple blocks over...

Cop:Your not allowed here then, please leave immediately!!
WTF are you talking about, isnt this "Free America"? and isnt this a public road??

Cop:Need back up for another crazy ass who thinks they have rights!!

Sad day when this happens and no one even knows it's happening, I havent seen shit on this in the news.......
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:51:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

Papers, please.

This is how they do it... Nickles told The Examiner. “I’m not worried about the constitutionality of it.”

That is a quote worth remembering.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:58:36 PM EST
Maybe oneday more Americans of color will realize they are now no better and in some ways worse off then 100 years ago. Until that day tho, they will elect their own lords and masters. Sad but true...................and the rest of society is following blindly behind them in who they elect.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:37:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 1:39:38 PM EST by Mike_Mills]

Originally Posted By Ghost013:
This is totall BS, WTF is going on??? How can they leaglly do this, so now apprently your not allowed rights ounce they put this lock down around your neighborhood??

Uhhm John

Uhhm walking my dog...

Cop:Your not allowed here then, please leave immediately!! Did you know this area is extremely unsafe to be in due to rampant violent crime and drug dealing. Is it really worht the risk, especially just to walk your dog?
WTF are you talking about, isnt this "Free America"? and isnt this a public road??

Cop: Your not allowed here then, please leave immediately!! That's correct. But this area has been plagued with violent crime for so long a coalition of concerned neighbors are trying to take back their community from the drug dealers and criminals. We'd suggest you find another area in which to walk your dog.

Say, BTW, you do have a poop sack to pick up after your dog, right? You weren't going to let him shit on your neighbor's lawn and leave it for them to clean up after your dog, were you?

Sad day when this happens and no one even knows it's happening, I havent seen shit on this in the news.......

Of course not, they never put stories about dog shit on the news.

How else would you expect to take back a neightborhood from armed criminals and thugs?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:42:04 PM EST
“I’m not worried about the constitutionality of it.”

Really?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:01:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Mike_Mills:

Uhhm John

Uhhm walking my dog...

Cop:Your not allowed here then, please leave immediately!! Did you know this area is extremely unsafe to be in due to rampant violent crime and drug dealing. Is it really worht the risk, especially just to walk your dog?

Cop: Your not allowed here then, please leave immediately!! That's correct. But this area has been plagued with violent crime for so long a coalition of concerned neighbors are trying to take back their community from the drug dealers and criminals. We'd suggest you find another area in which to walk your dog.

Say, BTW, you do have a poop sack to pick up after your dog, right? You weren't going to let him shit on your neighbor's lawn and leave it for them to clean up after your dog, were you?

How else would you expect to take back a neightborhood from armed criminals and thugs?

This is exactly the kind of bilge one would expect from the peoples republic of Calfornia.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:19:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:24:08 PM EST

Papers, please.

Because generally the ACLU turns a blind eye when the oppressors share their side of the political spectrum.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:25:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 2:28:18 PM EST by Det0nate]

Originally Posted By shotar:
What has finally been realized is that the general safety of communities in this country was not reduced by the availability of guns, but by the rapidity of transportation.

That was sarcasm, right?

Fast cars cause Crime? Maybe that's true. I know every time I hop in a Corvette, I end up robbing a few banks.

Originally Posted By scrum:

Because generally the ACLU turns a blind eye when the oppressors share their side of the political spectrum.

And neo-cons turn a blind eye when the 'oppressors' are republicans. Neither side has clean hands Neither side is consistent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:26:30 PM EST

What was old is new again. Back in the day, well the olden days, the cop on the beat knew everyone in his area. If someone did not belong and did not have a good reason to be there, they were directed out of the area. The country was a safer place overall then.

What has finally been realized is that the general safety of communities in this country was not reduced by the availability of guns, but by the rapidity of transportation.

No cops did NOT simply kick someone out of an area, they did things like make a note of plates and made the "outsider" aware that he was being watched. Big difference.

Lot of good cops always carry a lil notebook for jotting down "interesting" things and people.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:32:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:55:37 PM EST
Just bc this is in DC does not mean its Fed Gov... This is mayoral forces at work once again, most likely coming under pressure from higher up... "clean up or we will..or we will move out."
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:07:19 PM EST
This won't end well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:18:19 PM EST
After having 2 cars broken into in Baltimore, and having nearly get mugged/robbed a few times in DC, I'm not surprised they are doing this in either city. Some of the neighborhoods could really use this. Not that I'm in favor of the police demanding ID or refusing to let people walk freely anywhere that they want, but think of the homeowners property values that have gone down because of the crime and drugs. You have to know certain parts like Southeast DC or Anacostia to fully understand what it's like there.

The problem they will be still facing...

A 10 day Safety Zone will only deter crime and drug distribution in those areas for a short while. It will be back to "normal" in a couple of weeks. This doesn't appear to be the best way to fight crime and drugs, but honestly... What Is? What's a good alternative?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:22:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By msz:
After having 2 cars broken into in Baltimore, and having nearly get mugged/robbed a few times in DC, I'm not surprised they are doing this in either city. Some of the neighborhoods could really use this. Not that I'm in favor of the police demanding ID or refusing to let people walk freely anywhere that they want, but think of the homeowners property values that have gone down because of the crime and drugs. You have to know certain parts like Southeast DC or Anacostia to fully understand what it's like there.

A 10 day Safety Zone will only deter crime and drug distribution in those areas for a short while. It will be back to "normal" in a couple of weeks. This doesn't appear to be the best way to fight crime and drugs, but honestly... What Is? What's a good alternative?

Umm actually locking up the scumbags for a good long time and executing those who murder others might help.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:25:52 PM EST
Didn't anyone tell the humble inhabitants of DC
that their leftist leadership only wants freedom
for the governed...

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:45:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:09:49 PM EST
It doesn't surprise me that a few neocons would defend this. Wow...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:18:35 PM EST
Put some people to work and just start walling up the neighborhood , brick layers and lots of concrete.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:54:07 PM EST
Man, as a LEO I cannot stand crap like this.

Do I know who is a regular and who is not. You beat your ass I do. It's called Community Policing. I talk to folks about everything, what they drive, where they work, their hobbies, etc... it's called being friendly and getting to know folks. When someone comes into a neighborhood that does not belong there I will tail them and see what they're up to. If they're just stalking a area I take down their tag or description. Basically I get on their asses until they understand that I will not approve of what they're doing.

Criminals hunting for prey is obvious. But it's hard to make L&P. So in the end ride them long enough to make them stick out and they haul ass away.

What DC is doing is straight out of Cuba, Nazi Germany, or the Soviet Union. As I said it before, I'll say it again.

I can't believe that the Citizens of DC aren't protesting this.

Myself as a LEO took an oath to uphold and protect the rights of the citizenry that I serve. By doing so that also means that I cannot violate their rights. DC is doing just that.

First it's a couple of check points with thyem asking for papers, next it's secret police and a gulag.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:00:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Didn't the Nazis do something vaguely like this in some Jewish ghettos back in the late 30s/early 40s?

Nice to know who DC's police chief wants to emulate.

CJ

Warsaw , Poland ............
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:10:54 PM EST

Do I know who is a regular and who is not. You beat your ass I do. It's called Community Policing. I talk to folks about everything, what they drive, where they work, their hobbies, etc... it's called being friendly and getting to know folks. When someone comes into a neighborhood that does not belong there I will tail them and see what they're up to. If they're just stalking a area I take down their tag or description. Basically I get on their asses until they understand that I will not approve of what they're doing.

Criminals hunting for prey is obvious. But it's hard to make L&P. So in the end ride them long enough to make them stick out and they haul ass away.

What DC is doing is straight out of Cuba, Nazi Germany, or the Soviet Union. As I said it before, I'll say it again.

Myself as a LEO took an oath to uphold and protect the rights of the citizenry that I serve. By doing so that also means that I cannot violate their rights. DC is doing just that.

First it's a couple of check points with thyem asking for papers, next it's secret police and a gulag.

You are the kind of LEO's we need. Not the Nazi Gestapo types the NeoCon's on here want. NeoCon's are just as dangerous as the Obamunists. Both will turn this country into a police state, just for different reasons.

Thank you for your service to our country.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:15:13 PM EST
What is this, fucking BAGHDAD?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:21:28 PM EST
After Katrina, they required ID to enter into certain areas. Although I knew the reason was to keep looters out of the wreckage of our homes, I still cringed each time a soldier asked me for my papers at the security checkpoint.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:26:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2008 8:34:09 PM EST by Mike_Mills]

Originally Posted By Jammer1:
This is exactly the kind of bilge one would expect from the peoples republic of Calfornia.

Have a nice day.

Here's some more "bilge" from PRK:

It would not surprise me AT ALL if the people there were ASKING FOR THIS because:

Originally Posted By Frost7:
What is this, fucking BAGHDAD?

Some parts of the inner cities are just exactly that bad.

What you have to differentiate between is a request for help and having nazi tactics forced on you. If you cannot differentiate between these two, well, ...I pity you. There are a lot of inner city areas that have been made safe and then cleaned up by close cooperation between the police, city hall and the GOOD people of the neighborhoods. There are not many, but it has been done.

It just takes guts and the right parties working together.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:08:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Det0nate:

That was sarcasm, right?

Fast cars cause Crime? Maybe that's true. I know every time I hop in a Corvette, I end up robbing a few banks.

Not to put words in shotar's mouth, but I read his comment more as the ease of acquiring rapid transportation, versus how fast a car will go. As an example, in the DC metro area the crime rates around the metro subway stations are higher than in other areas b/c it's easy for criminals to get into and out of an area at relatively low cost and risk to themseles. Make sense?

As for the original article... I'm not surprised. It's DC. Been there, worked there for years, never plan to return. It's just not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:46:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By PUBBOY:

Really?

Your government at work. That pretty much sums up the general concensus of most any person at any level of government work in our once great country today IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:56:00 AM EST
f-ing unbelievable... wait, actually its not

post 1000... woot!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:11:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By msz:

Great scotts batman, does this mean that socialism and 50 years of social engineering does not work. Say its not so! Oh please!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:01:51 AM EST

Uhhm John

Uhhm walking my dog...

Issue carry permits to law abiding citizens.

It's worked 100% in the places where it's been tried.

The crime rate in any city increases in direct proportion to it's restrictions on law abiding citizens to defend themselves and their communities.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:02:55 AM EST

You rock!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:04:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Kihn:

Originally Posted By PUBBOY:

Really?

Your government at work. That pretty much sums up the general concensus of most any person at any level of government work in our once great country today IMHO.

Oh, I know. It sickens me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:20:50 AM EST
Where is the ACLU? Oh that is right, they are fighting for rights of criminals.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:28:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:57:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/5/2008 5:58:11 PM EST by OddballAZ]
The police can't stop the crime in DC. It ain't gunna happen. Dream on all you want Neocons of the great police state where everyone has to pass checkpoints with ID. It won't stop the crime in DC.

But there are 5 men who can stop the crime. Their names are:

Scalia
Thomas
Roberts
Alito<­BR>Kennedy (not fat boy Teddy)

If Heller goes our way DC's crime rate will begin to drop that day. If they get smart and issue CCW permits (or just make it legal without a permit, but that won't happen) it will drop even more. It is up to the PEOPLE of DC to take back their city. Just as it's up to the IRAQI'S to take back their country. The Iraqis don't give a shit. Let's hope the people of DC do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:57:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By OddballAZ:

I Just as it's up to the IRAQI'S to take back their country. The Iraqis don't give a shit. Let's hope the people of DC do.

Amen brother!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:09:43 PM EST

As for this happening in Miami, Florida. FAT FUCKING CHANCE.

We might have idiots running around but Miami is far from being a liberal haven. We're the largest group of Floridians with CCWs and also a good number of the population has lived under and fled either a Communist Government or a Drug Lord Dictatorship.

We don't forget this type of crap very easily. Hell, he still don't vote democrat because of Kennedy. And that was back in April of '61.

Amen thank God for Cuban Americans.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:11:19 PM EST

Uhhm John

Uhhm walking my dog...

Cop:Your not allowed here then, please leave immediately!!

Cop:Need back up for another crazy ass who thinks they have rights!!

You forgot to mention the part where the cop shoots the guy's dog, use a tazer against him, and the press report the incident as a crazed militia nut citizen.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:13:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/6/2008 1:16:11 PM EST by SilentType]

Damn Mike you need to get out California once and awhile.

How else would I expect to help citizens take back their neighborhood from criminals? How about allow those who can legally own firearms to own them and have them at the ready within their homes instead of providing criminals with the upper hand. That might be a good start.

Mike, what are you doing here man? You do know this is a forum about firearms, private ownership of said firearms, the Second Amendment, and hence Constitutional Rule of Law right?

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:15:43 PM EST

What was old is new again. Back in the day, well the olden days, the cop on the beat knew everyone in his area. If someone did not belong and did not have a good reason to be there, they were directed out of the area. The country was a safer place overall then.

Down here in Bonita they drive over from Miami, rob your Vehicle or house and go back to Miami to fence the booty.
Top Top