Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 2:55:13 AM EDT
 I know, I know welcome to 1999.....a lot of my friends had commented on the White Stripes back in their club days but I never seemed to catch their shows ( and I ONLY go to club shows, with the exception Dream Theater ) because I was always pre-occuppied.  Once the Stripes got popular I pretty much ignored them unless I caught a video on the tube ( and I LOVE White Stripes videos ) but I never really listened to their music.

Happenstance, I got hooked on the song "Doorbell" that has been played on one of the local stations.  I love the song because it's perfect for making up my own goofy lyrics....  Anyway, I decided to pick up the album "Get Behind Me, Satan" just for the fun of it......

WOW......really different, simple and very rooted in several American styles......

I LIKE 'EM!!!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I kinda missed them as well, until the "Doorbell" video started playing on TV.  I like the sound and picked up that CD the other day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Uh....... Who?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, I kinda missed them as well, until the "Doorbell" video started playing on TV.  I like the sound and picked up that CD the other day.

the White Stripes have one hell of a "motif" going on with the red and white and black thing.....their videos ( the ones I have seen ) have always been VERY eye catching.  some of their publicity photography is GREAT...reminds my of the old Hipgnosis stuff from back in the 60's and 70's

man...I am listening to this album right now....holy shit....this is DAMN GOOD STUFF!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:17:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Uh....... Who?

That's exactly what I said when I heard the song play on the radio, until I saw the video.  Interesting sound though.  I like it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uh....... Who?

That's exactly what I said when I heard the song play on the radio, until I saw the video.  Interesting sound though.  I like it.

"Get Behind Me, Satan" has a very diverse sound....I'll be picking up more White Stripes, that's for sure.  I highly recommend track 13, "I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely, Yet)" AWESOME!!!!  Track Six, "Little Ghost" is also really damn good!!!  Hell, the whole album is great.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#7]
heh, first time i hard of the "white stripes" was on that site with the singing kittens. they did "fell in love with a girl" and it was hilarious!!! and the song is like an old fashioned, high energy 60's rock n roll beat...fun!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I kept hearing "Doorbell" on XM 47. I ended up getting all three albums and really like the different sound. I have only been listening to them for the last two months.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I kept hearing "Doorbell" on XM 47. I ended up getting all three albums and really like the different sound. I have only been listening to them for the last two months.

I am gonna pick up some of their earlier stuff this weekend.....can't wait!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
you can find several of their videos on their website! white stripes
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
you can find several of their videos on their website! white stripes

You know what I want to find?  There is a promo pic with Meg stuck to a Circus Knife Thrower's Wheel ( in the familar Peppermint pattern ) and Jack with a handfull of  blade ready to throw....DAMN COOL PIC but I can't find it anywhere!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#12]
When I read the topic, I thought this was going to be about Crest tooth whitening products.  I've never heard of the White Stripes.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:18:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When I read the topic, I thought this was going to be about Crest tooth whitening products.  I've never heard of the White Stripes.  

SERIOUSLY???  What kind of music do you listen to??? ....you might like 'em, I sure as hell do...I'm am more of an Americana and Bluegrass guy....but the Stripes ( who are heavily influenced by such if you listen to their album tracks ) are pretty damn neat....a very diverse sound!!!  From  tradtional Rock and Roll, Hard Rock to Blues to Gospel...the Stripes have just about everything.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:55:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I just heard them first last summer..   I had the same reaction..   Definately alot of fun to listen too.   especially when we setup camp in the woods.

I found a bunch of live shows on a bit torrent site.. ( band is taper friendly as long as these recording are not sold)    If you have broadband, I'll set you up with a couple.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Funny you should mention this...     I was just thinking about my doorbell ringing, my doorbell ringing...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Being from the SE Mi area, I must say that I never cared for them. They were so over played and over hyped here in the area...I think that killed them for me.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Uh....... Who?

Yeah, I thought this thread was going to be about teeth whitening.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Never heard of 'em  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Drummer ,my ass.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:51:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Drummer ,my ass.

Correct...she is more along the lines of a percussionist.

don't tell me you don't get the offbeats.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#21]
oh, the beats are "off " alright.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

you realize it's on purpose.....right???
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#23]
If they'd get a drummer and a bassist they'd be even more killer but it's about more than just beats with them.

Pick up "Elephant" and first listen to "Ball and Biscuit"... Jack White is for real. Great songwriter (listen to the lyrics on both Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan and you'll know what I mean) with a knack for finding just the right sound for that particular song.

The one before Elephant is "White Blood Cells" and while it's very good, it's not quite up to the latest two discs.

I resisted the White Stripes as long as I could - until I heard Ball and Biscuit. I'd been listening to quite a bit of British '60s blues at the time (John Mayall, Cream...) and this fit right in with what I'd been listening to.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I aint trying to crap in your thread ,you like them-thats cool. Not my cup 'o tea though.
Im sure there is stuff I listen to that you would hate.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If they'd get a drummer and a bassist they'd be even more killer but it's about more than just beats with them.

Pick up "Elephant" and first listen to "Ball and Biscuit"... Jack White is for real. Great songwriter (listen to the lyrics on both Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan and you'll know what I mean) with a knack for finding just the right sound for that particular song.

The one before Elephant is "White Blood Cells" and while it's very good, it's not quite up to the latest two discs.

I resisted the White Stripes as long as I could - until I heard Ball and Biscuit. I'd been listening to quite a bit of British '60s blues at the time (John Mayall, Cream...) and this fit right in with what I'd been listening to.

I like the two piece bit....I'd love to hear 'em live.....I think Elephant has some live tracks...I am listening to De Stijl right now....Apple Blossom is very Beatles reminiscent and "You're Pretty good Lookin' ( for a Girl )" is defintely heavy on the sixties.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I aint trying to crap in your thread ,you like them-thats cool. Not my cup 'o tea though.
Im sure there is stuff I listen to that you would hate.

To each his own.

Don't sweat it.... but trust me when I tell you that you have no room to complain...for you see, I used to live with the worst drummer in world.  Seriously....you have no idea of lack of percussive talent until you have heard my ex roomie "play" drums.......  It sounded like two pissed off cats and a rooster tossed into a burlab bag full of dirty dishes and then tossed into the middle of a goatfuck.  He's still one of my best friends ever...but LORDY!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
no comment on the Jack White/Loreta Lynn duet?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

haven't heard it...Jack is really into traditional American music from what I have heard...this is one of the things that got me paying attention to the White Striped a bit more
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It sounded like two pissed off cats and a rooster tossed into a burlab bag full of dirty dishes and then tossed into the middle of a goatfuck.

I think I ruined a keyboard on that one..  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It sounded like two pissed off cats and a rooster tossed into a burlab bag full of dirty dishes and then tossed into the middle of a goatfuck.

I think I ruined a keyboard on that one..  

I am still traumatized from it......you have NEVER heard anything so awful.  Every now and then one of the neighboors would come over when I was washing my Jeep and ask...."So.........(pause)......do you play the drums?"

Oh, God..........they blamed ME!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#31]
It's wonderful seeing desertmoon happy about something. Thank you Jack&Meg.

AB
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I thought they were has-been one hit wonders (Seven Nation Army)

That's the only Stripes song I have heard that I cared for *shrug*
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Jack White is an interesting guy.  Kinda looks like Johnny Depp on the skids.  I can't get some of his songs out of my head.

I didn't know until a while ago that he did the Napoleon Dynamite theme song.

Good vids.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uh....... Who?

"Get Behind Me, Satan" has a very diverse sound....I'll be picking up more White Stripes, that's for sure.  I highly recommend track 13, "I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely, Yet)" AWESOME!!!!  Track Six, "Little Ghost" is also really damn good!!!  Hell, the whole album is great.....

Check out the Loretta Lynn album that Jack White produced. It is one of the few country albums I can stand...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

haven't heard it...Jack is really into traditional American music from what I have heard...this is one of the things that got me paying attention to the White Striped a bit more

Here you go:  www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001XASDA/qid=1128622792/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-8403525-5900635?v=glance&s=music
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
 I know, I know welcome to 1999.....a lot of my friends had commented on the White Stripes back in their club days but I never seemed to catch their shows ( and I ONLY go to club shows, with the exception Dream Theater ) because I was always pre-occuppied.  Once the Stripes got popular I pretty much ignored them unless I caught a video on the tube ( and I LOVE White Stripes videos ) but I never really listened to their music.

Happenstance, I got hooked on the song "Doorbell" that has been played on one of the local stations.  I love the song because it's perfect for making up my own goofy lyrics....  Anyway, I decided to pick up the album "Get Behind Me, Satan" just for the fun of it......

WOW......really different, simple and very rooted in several American styles......

I LIKE 'EM!!!!

Try "Elephant" another good album of theirs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#37]
My friend gave the singer that black eye he had on Saturday Night Live.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#38]
What friend was that?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
My friend gave the singer that black eye he had on Saturday Night Live.

You talkin about the rumble between White and the dude form that other Detroit band?

Or somethin else?

I hear White likes to throw down. Dunno if he's any good at it, though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Uh....... Who?

I only recently discovered them myself. I really like their music! Catchy ballads that stick in your head.
The guy was in a movie or two, I think.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top