Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:09:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 5:09:58 AM EDT by richardh247]
Link

U.S. copter crashes in Iraq, killing all aboard
Military also announces the deaths of 5 Marines from weekend attacks
NBC NEWS EXCLUSIVE

Updated: 8:43 a.m. ET Jan. 8, 2006
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A Black Hawk helicopter believed to be carrying 12 people has crashed in northern Iraq, and all aboard were killed, the U.S. military said Sunday.

The helicopter crashed just before midnight Saturday about seven miles east of Tal Afar, the military said. Records indicated it was carrying eight passengers and a crew of four, the military said.

Separately, the military said that five U.S. Marines were killed by small arms fire and roadside bombs this weekend.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three Marines were killed Sunday by small arms attacks in Fallujah, 40 miles west of Baghdad, the military said.

On Saturday, two Marines were killed by roadside bombs in separate incidents, the military said. One blast occurred about 50 miles west of Baghdad, while the other happened about 35 miles north of the capital.

Part of a two-helicopter-team
The UH-60 Black Hawk was part of a two-helicopter team moving between bases when communications were lost, it said.

A search and rescue operation was launched and the aircraft was found about noon Sunday, it added.

The names of those aboard weren’t released pending notification of relatives.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:11:17 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:29:54 AM EDT
People may have made fun of me for jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. But after seeing all these poor Soldiers and Marines die on helocopters. I am glad I picked Airborne.

RIP
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:37:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:40:10 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:42:29 AM EDT
shit......every time I hear that I cringe.........

My buddy is a crew cheif on a blackhawk outta Baghdad.....

I hope he's OK

My prayers go out to the families of those soldiers who were killed....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:45:27 AM EDT
So sad....prayers outbound.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:40:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By texas1138:
shit......every time I hear that I cringe.........

My buddy is a crew cheif on a blackhawk outta Baghdad.....

I hope he's OK

My prayers go out to the families of those soldiers who were killed....

Who's he with? 4th ID? 101st?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:35:43 AM EDT
My son sits in the first seat with the 101st, that report cut right through me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 8:39:45 AM EDT by ClayP]

Is there something about the Blackhawk that makes it less survivable than a Hind-D? I thought the russian birds were near indestructable
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:40:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:41:34 AM EDT
Got a buddy who's a hawk driver over there.

Prayers sent
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 8:44:48 AM EDT by Stryfe]

Originally Posted By ClayP:
Is there something about the Blackhawk that makes it less survivable than a Hind-D? I thought the russian birds were near indestructable

Blackhawks are designed to be survivable in a crash landing.
Falling from a great altitude will wreck any airframe.
Hinds are armored all to heck, and while they can carry passengers, it's a job more often left to the Hip.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:43:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:45:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheWind:
My son sits in the first seat with the 101st, that report cut right through me.

If it was your son, you would have already been notified. Your son is safe, sir.

This was not the news I wanted to post on a Sunday morning, but it happened. We need to be in prayer for the families of these soldiers and all our troops.

For those of you with family/friends who are serving, you'd have been notified before the Army issued or allowed the press release. "Pending notification" only means that they were unable to contact all of the next of kin, but every attempt has already been made - it'd be on your voice mail to contact the injury notification hotline in Virginia, and you'd of had your local base chaplain at your home (unless they have changed it).
I doubt they changed it, though.

I'm sorry I had to post this, and I know we all have tears for the fallen. We can pray, and pray hard. We can't change anything, but we are here as a family. If anyone here does know one of the fallen - now, before, or anyone in the future - I want you to know I am only a PM away from a phone number and prayer session.

Richard
Infantry, 89-93
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:53:10 AM EDT
prayers sent for the soldiers and their families.

i absolutely hate hearing news like this
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:54:39 AM EDT
I know, thanks for the words, still I feel relieved, but the family of those that perished, that hurts as we all wait. My son should be coming home for 15 days, should have left this morning.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:05:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheWind:
I know, thanks for the words, still I feel relieved, but the family of those that perished, that hurts as we all wait. My son should be coming home for 15 days, should have left this morning.

Very glad to hear he has some leave coming! Well deserved, I have no doubt.

I'm not one to refer to every soldier serving as a hero, but each is very special and definately has a resolve and a patriotism, and is dedicated to bravery. I know you'll be giving him a huge hug when he flys in, but please give him an extra one specially for me. And thank him for me - I know his bravery, and it ain't easy. But if you can't get past the tears of joy to say anything, just hug him once more in thanks coming from me.

Thank you for being the type of parent that raised their son with valor. It is quite the lacking characteristic these days. You have much to be very proud of. Cherish every second you have with him.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:35:32 AM EDT
godspeed fellas...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:37:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:10:40 AM EDT
I know too many 'Hawk crewmembers. Prayers for the families and the Soldiers in their units.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:14:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:37:28 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
Richard, thanks it is his 2nd tour there, he will be 25 this year..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:24:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 12:25:12 PM EDT by PocketG]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:37:32 PM EDT
btt for prayers
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:44:47 PM EDT
my thoughts are with the families. RIP guys.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:48:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:55:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:01:44 PM EDT
Anyone remember Gander, New Foundland 1985? 259 Screaming Eagles died. That was a tragedy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:32:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
Anyone remember Gander, New Foundland 1985? 259 Screaming Eagles died. That was a tragedy.

How did that happen?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:42:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ClayP:

From what I understand crash safety on aircraft is like crash safety on cars: They are designed to be survivable within certain limits.

For example, if you have a Corvette C6 and get hit at 40 MPH by another car, odds are you will be perfectly safe. If, however, you are doing 120 and slam head on into the concrete support pillar of a bridge, you are a corpse.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:32:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmboom:

How did that happen?

Members of the 502nd IIRC, were returning from duty in the Sinai with the UN multi national force and observers (keeping the peace between Egypt and Israel). They stopped to refuel in Gander New Foundland. The plane crashed after take off. All souls lost. Horrible tragedy. Still much controversy and speculation on the cause. Records were sealed for 70 years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:41:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 5:47:20 AM EDT by ArmdLbrl]

Originally Posted By jmboom:

How did that happen?

Members of the 502nd IIRC, were returning from duty in the Sinai with the UN multi national force and observers (keeping the peace between Egypt and Israel). They stopped to refuel in Gander New Foundland. The plane crashed after take off. All souls lost. Horrible tragedy. Still much controversy and speculation on the cause. Records were sealed for 70 years.

Well one thing wasn't sealed.

DC-8's virtually disappeared from North American airports within a very short time after that...
according to Wikapedia the 200 remaining registered DC-8s are only hauling cargo now.
Top Top