Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/29/2004 9:18:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 9:56:51 AM EST by HKocher]
*Edited to add. Now with happy faces to show this post was meant as a funny story.

I'm getting married in Dec., so in order to enjoy my last days of freedom I placed several orders this week. My fiancee is not a big fan of my spending habits when it relates to firearms.

Anyway, she works near my home. Every once in a while, she goes to my place for lunch, but it is VERY rare.

So she's there today and she calls up asking what is in the FedEx package from MSTN. Damnit! 30 minutes later she calls again, and says "now there's a UPS package from Brownells. I KNOW what Brownells it..."

Damn! Foiled again!

I REALLY hope the Lighterfighter.com package does not arrive today...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:19:35 AM EST
Lay down the LAW man! Tell her that is your hobby and you're gonna spend money on it.

.... but make it up to her..... by licking her bowlegged.... or just stuff it in her pooper and post pics.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:20:26 AM EST
She's just going to have to get used to it. I only get yelled at once a week or so now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:25:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:27:51 AM EST
she'll live
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:29:35 AM EST
This is VERY bad,
you need to grab that black and yellow handle marked EJECT
before it's too late!!!

Good luck my friend,
Mr. L.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:29:39 AM EST
Tell her to shut her cry-hole.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:30:13 AM EST
Are you looking forward to your life without guns and sex?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:31:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 9:35:50 AM EST by thebeekeeper1]
<Personal attack removed>
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:32:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:33:02 AM EST
There are plenty of other mag receivers out there. Find one that likes your hi-cap mag (giving you the benefit of the doubt) and also likes to play with other receivers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:33:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 9:36:16 AM EST by thebeekeeper1]

Originally Posted By lonegunman:
<Removed>

Easy friend. You can call ME whatever you want, but when you start throwing names around about my lady, those are fighting words...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:33:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
The "small issues" of fiancee's/fiance's become BIG issues once the vows occur. Best wishes, my friend.

+1...my friends that are married don't spend much money on guns anymore...they spent thousands and thousands before...see a connection??
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:37:15 AM EST

Money issues will destroy a marriage almost as fast as if she catches you porking her sister.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:37:39 AM EST
Man, some of you guys sure don't have a sense of humor.

I thought it was pretty funny that she knew what Brownells was. Shows that she's learning from me.

Some woman must have hurt you very badly in the past. I'm sorry for that.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By HKocher:

<Removed>

Easy friend. You can call ME whatever you want, but when you start throwing names around about my lady, those are fighting words...

Don't you get it?!? He's trying to save your life!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 9:39:42 AM EST by PONY_DRIVER]

You are going to marry a woman who hates your spending habits and hobby? You my friend are an IDIOT.

Yes they are, however this man speaks the truth. If you think she's trying to control you and curtail your spending NOW, just wait...you are going to be one VERY unhappy man.

I would strongly suggest that you two work out your differences regarding hobby, go separate ways, or you decide that you can live without your firearms. There really is no other alternative and she's pretty much written on the wall that once you're married it's all over. Peek around from behind that tree....there's a forrest out there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:57 AM EST
I wish I had done this before I got married.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:39:20 AM EST
Danger Will Robinson!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:39:26 AM EST
haha...don't worry about the comments HK

most of these guys are jerkin off to husler and wishin they had a woman.

If you think its gonna be a prob, keep the finances separate and make her responsible for 1/2 the bills.
If you make a lot more than her she'll shut up real quik!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:42:45 AM EST
At least tell us that you are going to have seperate checking accounts with a common house account to pay the bills!

This way what you spend never has to come out of the house account, it came out of your account, that is YOURS!
This works, trust me.
Bob
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:42:58 AM EST
You will be part of married with no toys collective.

"You will be assimulated, resistance is futile" Lucutis of Borg
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:43:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 9:45:59 AM EST by HKocher]

Originally Posted By PONY_DRIVER:

Yes they are, however this man speaks the truth.

No, he isn't speaking the truth. He doesn't know our private relationship. He ASSumed he understands and he took a funny thread and turned it into a disrepectful attack.

If you think she's trying to control you and curtail your spending NOW, just wait...you are going to be one VERY unhappy man.

I would strongly suggest that you two work out your differences regarding hobby, go separate ways, or you decide that you can live without your firearms. There really is no other alternative and she's pretty much written on the wall that once you're married it's all over. Peek around from behind that tree....there's a forrest out there.

We have worked this out. The truth is, I have a problem. I spend more money on guns than I should. I understand this, and I always have (even before I met her) When I have a family, I can not be so selfish.

Our relationship is strong and it is more important than petty fights over guns and parts (or shoes and furniture). I'll still have guns, I just will no longer be able to buy EVERY shiny thing that turns my head.

I know that I'll get booted out of the 'Man-club' for saying that, but responsibility comes before fun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:46:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
You would marry someone like this, then you desirve exactly what you get, expect to hand over your paycheck and get put on an allowance.

Pussy Whipped gets what they desirve.

+1

Establish it NOW, before exchanging vows - YOUR money, HER money, OUR money.
If both are working, you each contribute 1/2 the monthly expenses to a joint household account.
and that's another thing, better get 'Needs' and 'Wants' hashed out NOW as well.
Beyond that, as long as the household needs are met, your money is YOURS.
If one party or another is choosing NOT to work, then they better negotiate a minor allowance and STFU.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:48:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 9:49:07 AM EST by HKocher]

Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:
At least tell us that you are going to have seperate checking accounts with a common house account to pay the bills!

This way what you spend never has to come out of the house account, it came out of your account, that is YOURS!
This works, trust me.
Bob

That's the same arrangement we have spoken about. I make more money, so we'll put a percentage (my decision) into a joint account for the bills. The rest is 'fun' money. Of course I still have some school loans, so my 'fun' money will still go towards that. She wanted to help me with my loans, but I refused on principle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:49:15 AM EST
you are fucking up

IT's A TRAP.

All marriage is.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:51:02 AM EST
Hey, HKocher.

Aren't you glad you shared this with your friends at Ar15.com?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:51:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:51:23 AM EST
I'm with TBK1 on this.

Someone mark this post and start a pool.

Take it from someone who's BTDT (and has nearly $70K in child support payments to go), whatever is a "small" annoyance or "quirk" now will grow into EPIC issues latter on. Yeah, it may seem humorous now.... It won't 2 or 3 years now. Most women will attempt to change what they don't like in a man. It may be low-level passive/aggressive type actions or it might be outright manipulation/war, but they WILL do it. Men on the other hand just want to be left alone to do as they please, accecpting "intervention" only for their worst "sins" (so to speak).

I'm sorry, I've been here long enough to see that unless the spouse is indifferent to your "hobby" (or understands it totally) there WILL be issues and it WILL become a point of contention.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:52:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By PONY_DRIVER:

Yes they are, however this man speaks the truth.

No, he isn't speaking the truth. He doesn't know our private relationship. He ASSumed he understands and he took a funny thread and turned it into a disrepectful attack.

If you think she's trying to control you and curtail your spending NOW, just wait...you are going to be one VERY unhappy man.

We have worked this out. The truth is, I have a problem. I spend more money on guns than I should. I understand this, and I always have (even before I met her) When I have a family, I can not be so selfish.

Our relationship is strong and it is more important than petty fights over guns and parts (or shoes and furniture). I'll still have guns, I just will no longer be able to buy EVERY shiny thing that turns my head.

I know that I'll get booted out of the 'Man-club' for saying that, but responsibility comes before fun.

If it was meant as a truly "funny" thread I missed the humor, sorry. If your relationship works for you, by all means knock yerself out. It just sounded to me like and "Oh shit I got caught" thread. My advice is to buy what you can now before you have kids, if you don't already. They're awesome and I wouldn't trade mine for anything, but they do cut into the fun money.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:53:58 AM EST
Ackbar should be showing up any minute now...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:55:10 AM EST
My wife doesn't care what i buy.

oh wait, i don't have a wife.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:56:49 AM EST

Quoted for posterity.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:00:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:07:54 AM EST
holy mackerel that got ugly quick
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:21:33 AM EST

This works, trust me.
Bob

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:24:42 AM EST

You MUST set it out from the start taking care of the finances, checkbook, etc. That way she never knows! (Has worked for 15 months so far... )
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:27:00 AM EST
The money thing is one reason I fear a relationship. I am a bit impulsive when it comes to buying guns and gun stuff. I bought a $1200 Sharps repro a couple months ago on impulse (but it was on sale!!!). I spent about a grand at the gun show this weekend, when I didn't want to spend half of it. (the good part about it was I spent money that I HAVE, instead of money I don't)

I'm afraid it will cause problems in a relationship, but with something to 'distract' me from time to time... I might be able to get my mind off of whatever gat I think I 'need' long enough to forget about it.

I will lay it down, though, that it is one of my hobbies, and it is not going to go away.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:29:54 AM EST
"Hold for Pick-Up" at UPS. Works great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:34:15 AM EST

This works, trust me.
Bob

+1

The other thing you can do is buy numerous guns of the same type...I can bring a new blued or stainless 1911 in the house no problem...piece of cake. Anything else can be dangerous...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:36:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:37:38 AM EST
Aw c'mon guys. The girl I didn't marry was controlling and would freak out like this. But the one who is my wife doesn't care what I buy. Set the conditions of the relationship ahead of time, learn from the experiences of others. Only by doing so can you create a tolerable married life. Two of my closest friends are whipped big time--they have to "check in" and "get permission from the boss" and crap like that. "Be a man and put your foot down once in awhile," I tell them. Trouble is, once a precedent has been set for being a pussy-whipped fool, it's nearly impossible to break the cycle.

Oh and some more free advice--keep the purchasing realistic. You have other important priorities in life beyond buying shit that mostly never sees the outside of a closet or safe.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:38:03 AM EST

I REALLY hope the Lighterfighter.com package does not arrive today...

I can almost guarantee that won't happen. I'm waiting on an item I ordered 4 months ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:41:29 AM EST

No, this actually gets you INTO the "Man Club". You get to leave behind the "little boy" club- you know, the one where "I want what I want, and I want it NOW!" (add stomped foot for emphasis).

Of course, you'll have a hard time staying in the "Man Club" if you choose to marry someone from the "little girl" club- also known as the "Princess Club" . But it sounds like you've got that part covered as well!

You're right, though, there are an awful lot of pubescent droolers and bitter old fucks around here: not exactly a fountain of wisdom when it comes to relationships... you just don't pay them as much as a never-you-mind.

Congrats on the engagement, BTW!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:44:11 AM EST
Run, Forrest, Run!!!!!!IF it flys, floats or fucks, it's cheaper to rent. And yes, I am married!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:16:17 AM EST

We are gonna have to see picks of the fiancee' first....

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:33:56 PM EST
Ya'll are going about this the wrong way. You want to marry them already trained. My father-in-law had almost as many guns as I do, and more reloading supplies and equipment. It was just a fact of life from the time she was born that money would be spent on guns.

The only problem is that she is a quilter. For those whose wives are quilters, you know what I am talking about . For those who don't , I have to worry more about her slipping stuff past me than visa-versa. Quilters can go through money as bad or wrose than gun people.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:13:28 PM EST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you are fucking up

IT's A TRAP.

All marriage is.

TXL

+1,000,000
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:15:25 PM EST

I'm getting married in Dec.,

IT'S A TRAP!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:35:51 PM EST
these men speak the truths...i hope she doesnt have any indian blood in her...
i've got choctaw and cherokee in me..and i tried to be prepared...but wasnt.

i watched many of my friends get sucked into the same situations...they were unhappy men and most have given up all their hobbies...and are in reality "neutered".

i sorted thru the misfits and found one who has never mumbled...about my spending on guns..or hunting equipement. she has things she likes...i have mine..
but...
if you dont think things will get worse...
i have a 6ft tall gorgeous half breed cherokee...that is a jogger babe...that can bitch and moan about everything else at times...

she literally will ride my ass about something until its done..and done then..

but she never...mentions by hobbies.
PS..
i knew the woman 6 years and she never got mad...until 2 days after the wedding...jesus..
i thought she needing an exorcism.
wait till the day after the wedding...my friend..

i read where Meriweather Lewis, described the hardships of a married indian man due to the meaness of the squaws..

its...twueeeeeee, its twueeeeeeeeee.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:58:11 PM EST
Good grief!

My wife needles me about my guns and the cost, but as long as I make sure to pay the bills and don't tell her to fuck off every time she wants something she don't really care what I buy. She'll protest... but in a half-hearted way. We came to a compromise a while back. I bought a 14 gun safe, and when it's full I have to sell something to buy something else. I have no problem working inside that constraint. If she's just giving you a hard time whats the big deal? I give her shit about the shoes and useless dust catchers she likes to buy.

Some of you guys sound like you don't ever plan to have a relationship beyond your hand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top