Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 10:32:28 AM EDT
After paying ~$100/month for Dish forever, it's finally time to cut the cord.  

I would like to find something that uses only my home wifi to pull signals from the internet.  

This TIVO Roamio Pro seems to satisfy my requirements.  (Channel guide, 4 TVs in the house, remote access for my phone/tablets...)  

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Digital-Recorder-Streaming-TCD840300/dp/B00E8HGWIK

- Any alternatives that someone recommends?  

I have internet 10-15 mpbs service to my home.  When the tech installed service 5-6 years ago, he said that was the maximum speed available from the pole.  

- Is this sufficient for running this setup?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno.  I cut the cord 6 mos ago.  We have an antenna in the bed room, and Amazon Fire sticks on the other tv's. Pretty much just Netflix, Amazon and Slingbox for us
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would like to find something that uses only my home wifi to pull signals from the internet.  
This TIVO Roamio Pro seems to satisfy my requirements.  (Channel guide, 4 TVs in the house, remote access for my phone/tablets...)  

I have internet 10-15 mpbs service to my home.  When the tech installed service 5-6 years ago, he said that was the maximum speed available from the pole.  
View Quote

Dunno about the tivo, however i hooked up a db2 antenna and rokus up to three tv's and enjoy it. I ha e 150mb service and its stable but depending on how the tivo works you may need more than 15.

ETA: go to internet providers site and see what they offer now, 6 years is along time without them upgrading speeds.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

5-6 years is a long time in internet service, you might be getting faster (or can get them).  I need to get TWC to install a new drop, never going to get great speed here with coax that has been sitting in Texas sunshine for 15 years.

Hook up an antenna as well, full HD signals over the air.  Try a cheap one and get bigger if needed.  I get 40-55 channels with a $6 Amazon special.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
We have apple tv. Its nice, cost like $65. If I was doing it over, I would go with roku as it has more options.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Netflix, antenna, and Rasp Pi.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Antenna from Amazon.  I have a $10 one on each of the tvs in the house.  There are some things I would like to watch on tv that I don't have now that I cut off cable, but all in all, I am happy without it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, my bride and I cut Dish a few months ago.  We upgraded our internet to 150 mbps (Comcast cable, fastest speed available in our area), then purchased an Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV box.

We couldn't be happier.  We can still watch 90% of everything we want to watch.  Biggest complaint from my wife is the lack of a comprehensive guide showing what's on at any given time, and inability to record something and watch later.

We already had an Amazon Prime subscription, purchased a Hulu and HBO Now subscription, and haven't looked back.  Went from $170 per month to $30 per month.

I've been extremely happy with the Apple and Fire TV.  Tried to install Kodi on the Fire, but couldn't get it to work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just addressing the Tivo box---if you aren't going to have cable or satellite, they make an OTA version for $50.

ETA:  Guess prices went up, but it's still only $75:  http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00OLDNNRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461163533&sr=8-1&keywords=tivo+roamio+ota
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]
It looks like that Tivo requires some sort of cable service, might not be what you want.

TiVo Roamio Pro works with digital cable service and Verizon FiOs. Does not support satellite or AT&T U-Verse.2
View Quote
 Doesn't say anything about over the air antenna.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Besides the TV antenna, we have Roku. Our TV doesn't support a web browser so I'm considering a Lenovo or Intel PC TV stick.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Cheap bluray with smart capabilities will get you access to Netflix, YouTube, Hulu+, Pandora, etc.

Roku is good. Check out Amazon Fire with the Kodi hack

We got rid of cable/sat several years back and don't miss it at all
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like that Tivo requires some sort of cable service, might not be what you want.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

TiVo Roamio Pro works with digital cable service and Verizon FiOs. Does not support satellite or AT&T U-Verse.2

The one I linked above does OTA.  And it looks like Best Buy sells it for $49.99 (at least, it said so on their website.)

We bought one when we first ditched cable/satellite, though later realized the $15 a month wasn't worth it, and just stuck with a Roku with Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#13]
For less then my cost of dish by ~$60 a month, I am able to buy:

Amazon prime
PlayStation vue (TV channels)
Netflix
HBOGo

And increase my cabel internet service up one tier.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#14]
We live out in the sticks and it used to be that outside antennas could only get one or two if your antenna was very high and even then you needed a rotator to have a chance to pull them in. Now, with the digital uhf signals we get all the networks(4) and their add on channels(5) which are the old movies/tv with a $60 outside antenna 30' in the air. We added amazon prime $100/year and have not missed dish/$120/month. Regards
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I have Netflix and Amazon.
Netflix is $120/year
Amazon is $50/year using my student email

I may be looking to add another service so following.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#16]
PlayStation Vue app on the Amazon Fire TV/Stick. Done. No messing around with crappy tvaddons or questionable content/sources.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The one I linked above does OTA.  And it looks like Best Buy sells it for $49.99 (at least, it said so on their website.)

We bought one when we first ditched cable/satellite, though later realized the $15 a month wasn't worth it, and just stuck with a Roku with Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that one looks good, we ended up getting a SimpleTV box and Roku, but now we hardly watch TV at all.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#18]
10-15 mpbs is damn slow.

I'm sitting around 90 and would like 120 or more.

There are several tv box type devices on the market.  I don't use any of them.  I just hook up my old computers to the tvs.  My bedroom has my old laptop and the living room has my old tower.  Then I just use the internet as normal... netflix... amazon prime... youtube... my local news station streams their broadcasts online on their website.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is very relevant to my interests.  Cable contract is up in July, and they keep raising the price.  Time to switch.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This thread is very relevant to my interests.  Cable contract is up in July, and they keep raising the price.  Time to switch.
View Quote

Netflix just went up $2/month
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#21]

I can get 8-10 channels locally over the air with an
antenna.  Do any of these products offer a program guide that lists OTA channels
and streaming content (AMC, History channel)?  I don’t
want to be switching back and forth between a OTA tuner, internet TV, and Roku.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can get 8-10 channels locally over the air with anantenna.  Do any of these products offer a program guide that lists OTA channelsand streaming content (AMC, History channel)?  I don’twant to be switching back and forth between a OTA tuner, internet TV, and Roku.  

View Quote

Tivo does.  Though there's probably an internet resource that can do it as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top