Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2007 9:53:22 AM EDT
I posted this in the AR section as well, but I thought you guys would have some good insight as well.

I just got the go ahead to carry my personal carbine at work. I want this thing to be extremely practical. Light weight is a big plus too.

Here's my set-up as it stands right now.

RRA 15" A4 Chrome-lined opper w/ permanent flash hider.
RRA Lower
Magpul CTR
EOTech
YHM flip up front sight block
YHM flip up rear sight
YHM Quad Rail two piece quad rail

I need a sling, light, and I'd like a VFG.

I'm leaning towards a single point sling, just for quick on and off in and out of the squad. Any suggestions for a single point, or reasons to get a two point sling would be welcome.

I'd like some type of potent LED for a light, if there is one out there. I've got a StreamLight 3w Stinger LED that I really like and would definetly be bright enough. If there is something similar that will mount on a rail that would be awesome.

Would a free float set up free up some weight? What are the advantages of a Spectre type set up with the front sight on the rail? Any other changes to free up weight?

Lastly, who makes a good VFG? I'd like one with the cutout for the presure swith on the side of it.

I know it's a lot of questions. Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
RRA is a good choice in my experience. I've completed an STS and Vickers course using 2 different RRA's without a single malfunction.

Mr. Vickers makes a very good sling which I saw work quite well in his class. With that said I've not yet switched from a single point but do believe it has advantages. Single points have a pendalum effect when moving but are less "cluttered" on the weapon as far as I'm concerned.

My primary carbine has a M900 and my backup has an X200 with a Knights vert. grip. If I were going cheap the X200 works just fine and has the LED durability and is light. I would not do the M900 again but would likely go with a vert. grip and Scout setup. I agree with the LED for durability.

I sold my free-floated RRA and have gone to Surefire M73's on both rifles and love them. They lock up tight and feel much lighter to me.

Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top