Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:54:43 AM EDT
I've notices a few of my friends constantly cuss in front of their children (and other peoples children who they around). I've also seemed to notice people in restaurants and other places with where people hang out in close proximity cussing a lot. I don't remember people say fuck ever 3rd word out of their mouth when I was a kid. Has it always been this way and I just lived a sheltered life? For what it's worth, I don't cuss in front of my little girls, and I try not to cuss whenever their are little kids around. I do cuss like a sailor when I am at work or with my friends.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I am trying to get better about it. My four year old daughter is a pretty good censor. She will say "Daddy! Don't say fuck!".
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
i have to stay conscious about my language constantly at home and in public....grandpa taught me there's a time and a place for everything.....
it really hit home when my, then, 3 yr old girl asked her nana (wife's mom) who is very religious, if she was a fucking bitch.....
yup, got a nice phone call about that one.......people in restraunts and public who talk that way are disrespectful in the least.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Watching the football game last night, commercial comes on for a CBS show. There's a dead corpse staring out of a dumpster. No wonder children aren't the same anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#5]
You have fuck in your avatar. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Society as a whole has gone to the shitter.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It makes people look extremely white trash like. Even if the kid is 14-15, watch your fucking mouth around them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:00:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Self control.....they have none.

I am an infantryman. A Ranger. A cop.  For those that don't know that means I use the word "fuck" like Smurfs use the word "smurf".

I don't curse around children. It's low rent and shows no self control.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Ghetto trashy behavior in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been known to slip one or a dozen out when I get worked up, I try not to use words like that around kids.  

I'm in this camp.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Relevant vid is relevant

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am an infantryman. A Ranger. A cop.  For those that don't know that means I use the word "fuck" like Smurfs use the word "smurf".

Listen up mothersmurfers, if a single smurfing one of you is late to the smurfing formation again I will personally smurfing pt you till you smurfing die. And that is before I turn your smurfing ass over to the smurfing 1st Sgt. Do you smurfers smurfing understand me!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My 5 yr old doesn't read ARFCOM
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as yours doesn't that makes it okee dokee.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]

mine knows not to repeat ....
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And by the way, where do I have the word "FUCK" in my avatar? Just sayin
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

buuuurrrrrrnnnnnn.

I don't cuss in front of kids.  Mine or any other.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]
With a little one around I'm careful to not let bombs fly but sometimes I slip. Wife gives me crap and I know I'm going to pay for it when my son starts talking in earnest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:12:03 AM EDT
[#20]
meh

saying shit is no different than saying shoot if you stub your toe or drop something.   You are still cursing, its not the word but the intent.  

saying frick instead of fuck

gosh darnit instead of god damnit

shoot instead of shit

darn instead of damn

cunt bagel instead of cunt muffler

etc etc

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am trying to get better about it. My four year old daughter is a pretty good censor. She will say "Daddy! Don't say fuck!".

I try my best to be careful, but I unloaded on my 11 y.o. daughter this weekend because she was dragging ass on a school project and I didn't feel like bailing her out. Pretty sure I dropped an f-bomb on her. Not real happy about it, and I know I wouldn't do such to the 9 or 4 year olds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#22]
single guy, no kids.
I make it a point not to cuss in front of kids, adults? fuck em
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I work construction and still try to filter myself.

I think overuse of curse words reflects on your general intelligence, especially in public.

Swearing in the barn or on the jobsite is one thing, but doing it when out where are are families is just unclassy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Listen up mothersmurfers, if a single smurfing one of you is late to the smurfing formation again I will personally smurfing pt you till you smurfing die. And that is before I turn your smurfing ass over to the smurfing 1st Sgt. Do you smurfers smurfing understand me!

It's all the .mil vets fault.... they get out of the service, and those fuckers can't stop saying fuck. They just don't give a fuck, the fucking pieces
of grabastic fucking shit. Fuck them....

-ZA
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've said that before
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#26]
You need a better class of friends.  I work in IT, I'm an FFL, and I've worked in stables.  I can cuss with the best of them, but I don't do it in front of kids.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And by the way, where do I have the word "FUCK" in my avatar? Just sayin

What does WTF mean?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I filter myself as best I can in front of children. My kids know what words are inappropriate in a polite conversation. With me it's not just the cuss words I have to watch, it's the variety of other colorful ways I express my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#29]
They'll hear it from their schoolmates. Makes no difference. When I was a kid I remember we tried to swear as much as possible when out of earshot of adults. It made us feel like bad little rebels.

Kids aren't the delicate flowers you think they are.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I ask them if they want soap in their mouth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This. I was in the Army and now I work in Construction. Cursing is an art form on the jobsite.

Around small children it's a no go. I've slipped up a few times around my daughter but it's extremely rare.

My wife on the other hand never curses and she got mad one time and said shit in front of my daughter. She immediately repeated it about 15 minutes later when she got mad. Only time I ever heard my daughter say a curse word. Had to give my wife a hard time about that one.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#32]
True story:
My younger cousin cussed around his 5 year old all the time.
One day one of his friends asked him what happened to his girlfriend since he had not seen her in quite some time.

His son spoke up and said: We got rid of the bitch!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Relevant vid is relevant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pj2Nutu5v8

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a 16yr old boy and a 15yr old girl!

They talk worse then me when they think I am not listening!

The more parents allow it, the more it is acceptable on TV or in print, the more it will become mainstream....

Just like everything here in MERICA

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#35]
It's nothing they haven't heard on the playground.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I've been known to slip one or a dozen out when I get worked up, I try not to use words like that around kids.  

Same here.  It happens, but I try to make it common practice.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

They'll hear it from their schoolmates. Makes no difference. When I was a kid I remember we tried to swear as much as possible when out of earshot of adults. It made us feel like bad little rebels.

Kids aren't the delicate flowers you think they are.

Yep... My 16 year old son, who live with his mother is the same way!

She flips out every time he does the same shit, me and his mother both did the same at his age!

Kids will be..... KIDS!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Society as a whole has gone to the shitter.

This.  Many people have simply stopped giving a damn about anyone other than themselves.  Go to Walmart and see how many people are there in pajamas, even 20 years ago that wouldn't have happened. I watch what I say around my kids and others out of respect, many people simply no longer have any.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I will ask someone to watch their language if women or children are within earshot.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

mine knows not to repeat ....

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:26:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I will ask someone to watch their language if women or children are within earshot.  

Some of the worst profanities I have ever heard have come from the mouths of women and children.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#42]
It is one of my pet peeves.

Right now, my SO's Daughter, Son in Law and 2 Grandkids, 5 and 2YO,  live with us.
You wouldn't believe some of the shit that comes out of the parents mouths in front of the children.

They're going to regret the day the 5YO gets sent home from Kindergarten for telling his teacher to STFU.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#43]
If you've just smashed your thumb with a hammer, ok...  Otherwise, ghetto!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Society as a whole has gone to the god damned fucking shitter.

FIFY

Seriously though I agree with you OP.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#46]
They are going to learn it anyways, might as well teach them it is wrong when they are younger.

But, on that note, I try not to swear on the account of being proper in general around impressionable kids.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't curse in front of children and I don't appreciate those that do.  I also don't hesitate to let them know I don't appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I can cuss like nobody's business, but have always made a very solid point to never do it around children.  There was great hooting and celebration from my 16 year old when I let it slip that someone was acting like an ass.  Yup, "ass" was the first cuss word my kids heard from me.  Been double guarded since. :)     My mom in law raised two sailors.  We remind the kids to not talk like Grandma.

Funnily enough, the kids were talking at dinner one day, and it was "what would you do if you had 2 minutes to live"  My 9 year old at the time said he would hug mom, dad, stepmom, then say all the bad words he knew really loud, because there would not be time to get in trouble for it.  :)
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ghetto trashy behavior in my opinion.

This. I don't curse at home, I don't curse at work. People who think it's OK to curse in front of my children may be warned once (depending on who we're talking about) but if they cannot behave like civilized people, they are not going to be in contact with my family ever again. IMO it is gutter trash behavior and is not cool. At all.

ETA: Admittedly I do type curse words on ARFCOM every now and then because this administration and their criminal acts would try even a saint's patience, and I am pretty far from being a saint.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top