Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2002 9:36:03 AM EDT
I was considering getting a curio and relic license so I don't have to pay my dealer $20 for use of his FFL everytime I buy an old military rifle.  Someone told me that since this was a federal license, my premises can be searched at anytime without a warrant.  Is this true.  Granted I don't have anything illegal, but I still don't like the idea that the feds or my local PD can just come into my house for a quick peek whenever they feel like it.  I feel like I'm a parolee.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#1]
no

under normal circumstances, ATF can conduct one compliance inspection per year on a C&R licensee, and that may be conducted (at your request) at the nearest ATF office instead of at your home.

ATF has no additional right of entry to your home by virtue of you having a C&R license.  They (or any other law enforcement body) can of course get a warrant to come search you for cause, but that's no different than it would be if you didn't have a license at all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The complience officer will look at the bound book and compare to his resources, he may ask to see the firearms,which must be shown,(but not necessarily at that immediate moment), or their disposition shown. Unless there is some reason to suspect violations, they probably wont even contact you. As far as a search, the C&R holder has the same rights and everyone else. Just keep the bound book up to snuff and dont get above the radar.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]

If they have a warrent they can do what they want, this is true for anyone.

Otherwise, if they ask to do a compliance check, you have the option of:

1) At your place
2) At their place

Your choice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  Now, is there a particular type of bound book I need to get?  What sort of info do I need to keep in it?  What is it for?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You will need a “Firearms Acquisition and Disposition Record Book”. Brownell’s has them for $3.00, do a search for “Firearms Record Books” at:

[url]http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp[/url]

When you get a C&R firearm you enter the manufacturer/importer, model, serial number, caliber or gauge, date received, and from who received (name & address, or name & ffl number). When you sell a C&R firearm you enter date disposed and who received that firearm (name & address, or name & ffl number).
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys.  Now, is there a particular type of bound book I need to get?  What sort of info do I need to keep in it?  What is it for?
View Quote

You can make one up by printing it out or buy one.  For C&R, make your own for next to nothing.

I have a file that can be used for this...  Send me your email address and I will send it to you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
all right ive got a dumb ?? i also was thinking about getting a c&r license.to save on the $25 fee my gun dealer charges me....but when reading the laws on the BATF web site, i could of swore it said you cant use your ffl/c&r for personal use.i.e. build your gun collection.help me out if im wrong.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
All of my knowledge on this subject is from the BATF site as well.

One additional comment,remember under the new terrorism laws,the BATF needs no warrant if they believe a link to terrorism is at that location.

BTW-you can also use a computer as your[blue] FADR[/blue] book as stated on the batf site as well.

But then i could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
all right ive got a dumb ?? i also was thinking about getting a c&r license.to save on the $25 fee my gun dealer charges me....but when reading the laws on the BATF web site, i could of swore it said you cant use your ffl/c&r for personal use.i.e. build your gun collection.help me out if im wrong.
View Quote

The C&R isn't a "real" FFL - it's intended for collectors to build up their personal collection with C&R-classified firearms.  Any other FFL isn't for just collecting, but the C&R is - it's even got a special application form (Form 7CR) because of that.

batf-approved:  Yes, you can use your computer, if you first get special, individual permission from the ATF to do so.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
another C&R question for you guys:

I have a C&R, is it legal for me to use it to buy a batch of rifles from a mail order company(say 8 rifles) and pick out the best one or two for my collection, then sell the rest of them off to individuals at the price I paid for them?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
another C&R question for you guys:

I have a C&R, is it legal for me to use it to buy a batch of rifles from a mail order company(say 8 rifles) and pick out the best one or two for my collection, then sell the rest of them off to individuals at the price I paid for them?
View Quote

Yes.  Though the area is fuzzy, the purpose of the C&R is to enhance your collection, and the INTENT of your 8 rifle purchase is to do just that.  Purchasing 8 rifles with the INTENT to function as a dealer is a crime.

The practice is pretty common among 03 FFLs, and it's not illegal to sell the weapons for more than you paid.

A better place to ask these questions (not that there's anything wrong with AR15.com, mind you, but it's not exactly C&R oriented) is Parallax Bill's forum over at [url]http://pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums[/url].
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top