Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:50:48 PM EDT
Are there any good learning websites or recommended books for learning Crystal Reports?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't have excellent data dictionaries for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you also get Crystal XCelsius?

That's some bitchin software.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have excellent data dictionaries and models for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.  

Didn't they merge with the Business Objects company?  

I liked BO though with lots of data, it was a pain to maintain,  especially after a so-so implementation and lots changing along the way.    Fortunately I had no DBA responsibility. But the  BO software seemed much more intuitive and efficient to use than than Crystal Reports.  For your sake, I hope that changed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:43:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you don't have excellent data dictionaries and models for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.  

Amen.

Yep.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I liked BO though with lots of data, it was a pain to maintain,  especially after a so-so implementation and lots changing along the way.    Fortunately I had no DBA responsibility. But the  BO software seemed much more intuitive and efficient to use than than Crystal Reports.  For your sake, I hope that changed.

And BO was just bought by SAP.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't used it since version 9.

Is it still a PITA to integrate CR with your own apps? Last I recall, it gave new meaning to DLL hell.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Visual Studio .NET now comes with a Crystal Reports plugin.  Its integrated pretty well.

Dez
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Visual Studio .NET now comes with a Crystal Reports plugin.  Its integrated pretty well.

Dez

You must not do any application controlled dynamic paging.

I got to deal with CR 11 last year and I was not impressed.  If you want to learn a real reporting tool go learn Cognos.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you don't have excellent data dictionaries for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.

When I asked about a data dictionary here was the response.

We have a rather large database we pull against and Crystal seems to do pretty well.  I am pretty much fresh out of college and this is the first 'real world' exposure I have ever had to an operational database.  I have used SQL but that was on an Oracle platform.  I am in a MIS/CRM reporting department so it looks like this will be the career for a while so I need to get good at it.

Oh, thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Crystal Reports sucks the cock of Satan, and a pox on those who continue to purchase that vile piece of shit, thus assuring it's continued existence. Nowhere else in all of computing has someone managed to take a concept so simple, and complicate the ever loving shit out of it to the extent that these cocksuckers have. May the creator lick my brown eye clean, and find a tapeworm in his Tequila.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Crystal Reports sucks the cock of Satan, and a pox on those who continue to purchase that vile piece of shit, thus assuring it's continued existence. Nowhere else in all of computing has someone managed to take a concept so simple, and complicate the ever loving shit out of it to the extent that these cocksuckers have. May the creator lick my brown eye clean, and find a tapeworm in his Tequila.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sometimes you need a report.  I have used CR to make the report I needed.  Mostly, I did it by luck.  I have no idea how I succeeded, other than the fact that I had to.

Is there any alternative out there that will work with the same databases and is easy to use and understand?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top