Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/10/2007 2:50:48 PM EST
Are there any good learning websites or recommended books for learning Crystal Reports?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:05:05 PM EST
If you don't have excellent data dictionaries for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:05:34 PM EST
Did you also get Crystal XCelsius?

That's some bitchin software.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:15:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 11:17:42 PM EST by prk]
If you don't have excellent data dictionaries and models for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.

Didn't they merge with the Business Objects company?

I liked BO though with lots of data, it was a pain to maintain, especially after a so-so implementation and lots changing along the way. Fortunately I had no DBA responsibility. But the BO software seemed much more intuitive and efficient to use than than Crystal Reports. For your sake, I hope that changed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:43:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By prk:
If you don't have excellent data dictionaries and models for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.

Amen.

Yep.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:13:52 AM EST

I liked BO though with lots of data, it was a pain to maintain, especially after a so-so implementation and lots changing along the way. Fortunately I had no DBA responsibility. But the BO software seemed much more intuitive and efficient to use than than Crystal Reports. For your sake, I hope that changed.

And BO was just bought by SAP.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:16:20 AM EST
I haven't used it since version 9.

Is it still a PITA to integrate CR with your own apps? Last I recall, it gave new meaning to DLL hell.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:26:18 AM EST
Visual Studio .NET now comes with a Crystal Reports plugin. Its integrated pretty well.

Dez
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:32:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By mdezdez:
Visual Studio .NET now comes with a Crystal Reports plugin. Its integrated pretty well.

Dez

You must not do any application controlled dynamic paging.

I got to deal with CR 11 last year and I was not impressed. If you want to learn a real reporting tool go learn Cognos.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:41:32 PM EST

If you don't have excellent data dictionaries for all your tables, all the training and books will be a complete waste of time.

When I asked about a data dictionary here was the response.

We have a rather large database we pull against and Crystal seems to do pretty well. I am pretty much fresh out of college and this is the first 'real world' exposure I have ever had to an operational database. I have used SQL but that was on an Oracle platform. I am in a MIS/CRM reporting department so it looks like this will be the career for a while so I need to get good at it.

Oh, thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:46:11 PM EST
Crystal Reports sucks the cock of Satan, and a pox on those who continue to purchase that vile piece of shit, thus assuring it's continued existence. Nowhere else in all of computing has someone managed to take a concept so simple, and complicate the ever loving shit out of it to the extent that these cocksuckers have. May the creator lick my brown eye clean, and find a tapeworm in his Tequila.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:39:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Subnet:
Crystal Reports sucks the cock of Satan, and a pox on those who continue to purchase that vile piece of shit, thus assuring it's continued existence. Nowhere else in all of computing has someone managed to take a concept so simple, and complicate the ever loving shit out of it to the extent that these cocksuckers have. May the creator lick my brown eye clean, and find a tapeworm in his Tequila.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:09:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By Subnet:

Sometimes you need a report. I have used CR to make the report I needed. Mostly, I did it by luck. I have no idea how I succeeded, other than the fact that I had to.

Is there any alternative out there that will work with the same databases and is easy to use and understand?
Top Top