Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 1:12:55 AM EDT
Don't know any details excepth possibly 1300 missing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Source?  Or what channel are you watching?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/world/13782375.htm

Egyptian cruise ship disappears from radarSALAH NASRAWIAssociated Press

CAIRO, Egypt - An Egyptian cruise ship with 1,300 people on board has disappeared in the Red Sea off the Saudi coast, Egyptian maritime officials said Friday.
The ship "Salaam 98" disappeared from radar screens shortly after sailing from the port of Dubah, western Saudi Arabia, at 7 p.m. local time on Thursday night, the maritime officials in Suez said. They spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to address the media.
The ship was due to have arrived at Egypt's southern port of Safaga at 3 a.m. local time, but did not, the officials added.
"We lost all contact with the ship shortly after it left the Saudi port," said one maritime official at Suez.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Egyptian cruse ship?

Do many foreign tourists use them?  Or is it locals only?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
tag for updates.

Limpet mines placed by hajis in RHIBs?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]
FNC and CNN are reporting it. Nothing confirmed. Search is ongoing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Whats the weather like?  Any storms?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:57:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"bad weather"

Helicopter seeing few people floating in the life boats
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:58:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Could be a catastrophic diaster but then again, these ships have homing beacons that send out a radio signal of where the ship was.  Also why was there no call for help?(Mayday?)   This is a bad sign if the insurgents either sunk these cruise ships or worse yet have some sort of submarine.  

Max
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

FNC said bad weather is making rescue difficult.
It is a passenger/ car ferry. Carries 1,400 passengers, 160 cars.

These things don't seem to hold up very well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard it was a cargo ship but ...meh

Israel did it by creating the Red Sea Triangle!

Update!  Ship is a cruise/passanger ferry type vessel and can caryy 1400+.  Dead bodies have been spotted in water along with life biats with survivors.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Egyptian Cruise Ship Disappears off Saudi Coast
Friday, February 03, 2006

CAIRO, Egypt — An Egyptian cruise ship with 1,300 people on board has disappeared in the Red Sea off the Saudi coast, Egyptian maritime officials said Friday.

Lifeboats carrying people have been spotted near where the ship, the "Salaam 98," was last seen, maritime officials said.

Saudi and Egyptian naval vessels and helicopters were searching for the ship, which disappeared from radar screens shortly after sailing from the port of Dubah, western Saudi Arabia, at 7 p.m. local time on Thursday night, the maritime officials in Suez said.

They spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to address the media.

The ship was to have arrived at Egypt's southern port of Safaga at 3 a.m. local time, the officials added.

"We lost all contact with the ship shortly after it left the Saudi port," said one maritime official at Suez. Its last position on the radar screens was 62 miles from Dubah.

An Egyptian helicopter spotted a lifeboat carrying three people, an official said. He added the search was being hampered by bad weather.

The ship is owned the Egyptian company El-Salaam Maritime Transport Co. and was carrying 1,300 passengers, the official added. Some of the passengers are believed to be pilgrims returning from the annual hajj to Mecca, which ended last month.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Isn't is considered blasphemous to name a ship "Saalam"?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Apparently Eqypt turned down Israel's offered Naval assistance in the search and rescue. Bunch of damn fools.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#17]
No doubt the work of Israeli/Zionist suicide bomber terrorists.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Halliburton Storm Generator Mk III...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Boat with 1300 hajis sank?

Good thing they made the Hajj while they could.  

- BG
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Halliburton Storm Generator Mk III...

And Bush knew about it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/world/13782375.htm

Egyptian cruise ship disappears from radarSALAH NASRAWIAssociated Press

CAIRO, Egypt - An Egyptian cruise ship with 1,300 people on board has disappeared in the Red Sea off the Saudi coast, Egyptian maritime officials said Friday.
The ship "Salaam 98" disappeared from radar screens shortly after sailing from the port of Dubah, western Saudi Arabia, at 7 p.m. local time on Thursday night, the maritime officials in Suez said. They spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to address the media.
The ship was due to have arrived at Egypt's southern port of Safaga at 3 a.m. local time, but did not, the officials added.
"We lost all contact with the ship shortly after it left the Saudi port," said one maritime official at Suez.

Wow, we've heard the stories about cruise lines covering up crimes aboard ship but now they are covering up the dissappearance of a whole ship!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know, but this is just my speculation, but I hope this is not a case of terrorism.  Seems really strange.  We will just have to see when the authorities debrief the survivors etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Apparently Eqypt turned down Israel's offered Naval assistance in the search and rescue. Bunch of damn fools.

Must still be pissed about getting their clocks cleaned in the 6 day war.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Cruise ship? I thought it was a ferry.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Ferrys seem to be notorious for sinking, here and abroad, specially in bad weather.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Opps.

Maybe the Ropers hit the wrong target.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#28]
They turned down the Royal Navy's offer of assistance too.

A unnaimed RN ship- but possibly Bulwark who was just sent their to hunt pirates- started to search for survivors but then suspended their search after a couple hours, no reason yet given.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a lot more to this story than they're telling us.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Bush's fault.

+1  US sub sank it.

ETA: Strangely, I don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't know if I'd call the Herald of Free Enterprise a deathtrap. Given the way the water was coming in with the bow doors open, I don't think many ferries of the time would have survived. You sure it's a sister ship? Did P&O take over Townsend Thorensen?

NTM
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I hope so...it did make a good target for the real soldiers of God.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Why do they still use bow doors?

Whats wrong with the flying bridge ramp design like on the old Newport class LSTs?

Whats wrong with building a catamaran and just suspending the ramp between the hulls?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Whats wrong with the flying bridge ramp design like on the old Newport class LSTs?

Whats wrong with building a catamaran and just suspending the ramp between the hulls?

This one used them.  236 people have been saved as of now per fox news. Out of 1400.  I bet we get blamed for it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This one used them.  236 people have been saved as of now per fox news. Out of 1400.  I bet we get blamed for it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top