Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2003 9:56:54 AM EDT
I decided to post this here to get it more visible to generate some interest. I asked for a bit of help with a  problem I had in the general forum and the idea came up to host a big shoot at my family farm.

I ran it by the folks and am now planning a nice weekend of shooting at the 47+ acre farm. No caliber or NFA restrictions, I just have to see what kind of ranges I can set up to accomidate.

Would anyone be interested in spending all or part of a weekend shooting up the countryside in Crossville, TN (about an hour and a half north of Chattanooga, if memory serves me right)?

Got a pond for good fishing, some crash space in the house, 3 barns to choose from if no room in the house, a freezer full of deer and all the well water you can drink. This is  planned for the last weekend in June (27-29).

So far the response has been great.  I will look at the farm to see what ranges I can set up.  I am looking at one or two pistol ranges, one or two rifle ranges (out to maybe 200-300yd) a clay shooting position (I have no thrower or clays), and, neighbors permitting, a high powered rifle range out to 600+ yds.  

If anyone is interested, get back to me so I can get a relative head-count.

edited to change date due to Bulletfest
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Count me in!

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
what?!?!

you won't be up at bulletfest IV on june 28th? we'll have a lot of tn. shooters on the firingline!

seriously, good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't aware of any other event that weekend.  May need to rethink the weekend, but bulletfest is only a day long event isnt it?  My shoot will be on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday so there is some time for those attending bulletfest to drop by.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#5]
keep us posted
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]May need to rethink the weekend, but bulletfest is only a day long event isnt it?[/b]

this year, with onsite camping, the friday night party should be fun...and many guys and ladies show up on friday to set up and get to know each other. plus, there is always a saturday night party for those desiring to stay an additional night, and this year's saturday night fun is shaping up to be great.

where else can you go shoot at 6 cars, a hundred major appliances, 3-400 fire extinguishers and other assorted fun stuff on a firingline that wii probably exceed 1000 cyber-shooters this year?

and...be around hundreds of machine guns?!?! and YOU can shoot them! some for free. some for the cost of ammo and some by paying a rental fee.

where else can you be on a firingline with miniguns buzzing? anti-tank rifles booming? m2hb's cutting loose? watching the cars cut to shreds by a FLEET of tripod mounted guns?

where else can you see MILLIONS of rounds poured downrange...and actually contribute to the fun?

and only at bulletfest, and possibly the texas convention, can you meet this many folks from ar15com...and several other firearm boards.

we have 600 acres to play on...c'mon up and join the fun, if you can. tn. isn't all that far away!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Date has definitely been changed to the 20-22 June, one week before Bulletfest.  Sorry for all those who cannot attend now.  E-mail or message me for directions if you are interested in attending.  I will post more info as it comes in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Wingnut,

I'll probably have to pass on the June 20-22 weekend, that's my hunting club yearly picnic and I'm on for beef ribs.

Have a good time!

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear it.  If you can, drop by for a few hours, it will be going on all weekend.  The shooting starts at 1430hrs on Friday.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#11]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Will have to check but will definitely try to make it up.  Also I have a clay thrower (cheap Hoppes brand) and a hand thrower.  

Will try to bring my wife and maybe a buddy.

Do I need to bring some ROUND-UP????

C-ya

John
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I should had the weeds taken care of.  Gotta do a lot of night bush hogging. [}:)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Hmm - I may be interested in this! Much closer to home (Knoxville) than BF - can I get more info from you on this?

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I will bush hog under some trees so there will be some shade.  There is plenty of wood left from when they thinned out the woods so firewood is not a problem and fires are fine as long as they are attended.  I should be smoking some deer legs for either Friday or Saturday.  The fish have been biting up a storm lately so bring your fishing pole.  We have a pedal boat for the 2-4 (IIRC) acre pond if there are any kids coming that aren't gonna shoot.  

I know I said it somewhere, but this is a dry county so the closest liquor store is over an hour away in Cookeville, beer is available a few miles away at the mom and pop corner store (where they incidentally sell ammo too).  I am still working out what I can make for target stands and tables or benches because I have none.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Count me in.  I will be bringing the wife and maybe the bosses kid (not positive on the kid yet, have to ask first [8D] )

A better description of Crossvilles location is 120 miles east of Nashville or 50 miles west of Knoxville on I 40.  

Can we pitch tents?  Also, will you have a policy on the beer etc.  I don't drink and have no tolerance for someone drinking on the line or getting drunk and stupid with firearms all around.  Sorry if this is a problem.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Tents are AOK.  There will be no alcohol while the range is hot.  Since my father works 2nd shift, the shooting will start around 1430 hrs every day and may end around dark or a bit later.  As a firm believer that alcohol and firerms do not mix, I will ask that if you are drinking, that the firearms are secure.   That being said, drinking 'round the campfire at night is at their descretion. Thanks for your safety concern.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
dam i like to go but can't make a trip to crossvile 2x's in amonth,my mom lives in crab orchard.by the mine right there on 40.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, can you drop by to see your mom during your range weekend?  [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Hanau, you talking about the limestone mine?  I have had to pick up there a couple of times.  I hate the place, they always try to load you to the max limit and don't give you any room to adjust your axles.  3 Loads out of there, not one of them legal!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, can you drop by to see your mom during your range weekend?  [}:D]
View Quote

nah work schedule that week won't allow it
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey Hanau, you talking about the limestone mine?  I have had to pick up there a couple of times.  I hate the place, they always try to load you to the max limit and don't give you any room to adjust your axles.  3 Loads out of there, not one of them legal!!!
View Quote

same mine,sit on her front porch and look and see the mine,i think i have some uncles that work there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I can make this for a day anyway. I will email you for more info. This is very local for me just in the next county...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Wingnut,

I have about 20 - 30 advertising signs, similar to what is used for little roadside ads during election time.  We may be able to use those for targets if we tape on the bullseye etc. I may be able to get a few more.

John
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Excellent, that is one less concern in my book.  I really appreciate it.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll add this to the list of places to go.  anyone from or passing thru Central PA, I need a driver, have vehicle, trailer and ATV.  Ops
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Wingnut,

Would there be room for a small RV and a place to plug up to A/C.  Would obviously pay for any electricity use and would avoid the X-mas vacation behaviour.  Trying to get a buddy and our wifes to come out, the women like to have some of the creature comforts.....I guess I do also.  Would like to bring a grill and stuff.

Don't want to be a high maintenance guest (so feel free to say no) and will do whatever we can to make it an easy pleasant trip.

Thanks,

John
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't think that would be a problem, I gotta check the amperage on one of the out buildings to see if it can accomidate the extra load, but I think it has been done before.  I will know a lot more next weekend.  I don't forsee it to be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#35]
OK, dragging this forward from page 8...

I only have one more concern.  Critters.  I have a jack russel terrier that don't stay at home alone.  He doesn't bite and is extremely friendly.  Would he be a problem?  If so, I would be able to come on Saturday, but not the rest of the time.  And no overnighting.  Can leave him at home for the day, but since he is primarily a house dog, can't leave him over night.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#36]
heh
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#37]
So what's the headcount so far??
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#38]
ATTENTION!!

During this weekend, I was told I have to go TDY over that weekend.  In short, duty calls and I will have to cancel this shoot for the time being.  I fully plan to hold it somethime this summer I just have no idea when.  I apologize wholeheartedly to everyone who took off and made arrangements to make it to this event.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#39]
No Problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top