Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 5:31:18 AM EDT
Anyone else seen this movie? I just watched it for the first time last night. Very good movie!
www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Directed by Peckinpah, good flick.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
On my top 5 war movie list.

Peckinpah is almost always good and I think he did a great job recreating fighting on the Russian Front.

And how many movies have real Soviet tanks?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
good movie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Great war movie. Watching it always makes me want a PPSH-41.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been a while since I last saw that movie.

At the moment the number one thing that I remember is James Coburn laughter as the movie ended.
There are others that I remember as I type this.  Like at the hospital a General (?) is giving out medals and shaking the hands of the wounded.  Then he comes across a wounded soldier that has lost both hands.  The handless soldier then sticks out his leg out to the general to be shaken instead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
And hot, nude, Russian radio operators.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuckin' great movie....one of my faves.

Movie that got me interested in learning more about the German Army in WWII....no I have a German WWII combat gear collection worth more than my house....it started me on the road to hell

But it is one of the few movies ever to show the some of the war from the German point of view without a bunch of maudlin crap thrown in to appease certain groups (unlike such dreck as say...U-581...or whatever that POS was called).

Coburn was great, and I liked Lt Meyer...to bad he got bayonetted by some Red....the guy with the knit hat with the Russian star on it was the best....

"When you've been in the field as long as I have been, you learn that dirt, when combined with body oils will make you waterproof...."
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But it is one of the few movies ever to show the some of the war from the German point of view without a bunch of maudlin crap thrown in to appease certain groups (unlike such dreck as say...U-581...or whatever that POS was called).

"The Boat" seemed to be pretty gritty. I like the scene where they're drunk and puking in the bathroom the night before the next tour. Also when the guy gets the big greasy rag in the face.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Have it on DVD. Decent movie.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

"The Boat" seemed to be pretty gritty. I like the scene where they're drunk and puking in the bathroom the night before the next tour. Also when the guy gets the big greasy rag in the face.

Granted, "Das Boot" is excellent...even better is the full length, mini series cut of 6 hrs....good way to kill an afternoon...but makes the ending even harder to watch....

"Stalingrad" by the same production company as "Das Boot" is very good, although it does have its irritating quirks. I wish they would have just stuck to following a company around through the horrors of the battle without having to resort to the whole penal battalion storyline....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Cross of Iron, Stalingrad and Das Boot are all great movies. I would add and recommend one for you: Die Brucke (The Bridge) a german movie made in the 1950s about a group of Hitler Youth who defend a bridge in their home town.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I got Cross of Iron, could only find it in full screen when I bought it about 4 years ago.  Loved the flick.  It's one of those movies they dont seem to play on WB, Spike, etc.

Got this version of it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top