Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2009 4:37:12 PM EDT
I just got my 2nd crock pot at a family Christmas Chinese gift exchange.  My first I busted before I got to use it.

How about a recipe for a good pot roast?  I just picked one up at the store.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
should have done the sprite can/boston butt arfcom recipe!    

then call it BBQ to get your neighbors/arfcom in a stir  
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Brown your chunk of meat on all sides, I just buy the biggest of whichever cut is on sale.

Depending on how big it is, I either do 1 beef bullion cube and 1 cup of water or 2/2.

Crock pot on high, put in the meat and pour liquid in, forget about it for 6 hours.

Remove and let it chillax while you make a good pan gravy from the drippings and a roux.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
boston butt
onions

apple cider

4 hours low

fridge for 2 days

4 hours high with potatos & carrots for the last 2 hours

yum!
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I just got my 2nd crock pot at a family Christmas Chinese gift exchange. My first I busted before I got to use it.

How about a recipe for a good pot roast? I just picked one up at the store.

Any advice?

How many Chinese did you have to give in exchange? Do you have anymore? Are there any hot females? I have 2 crockpots I will offer you for one hot Chinese female.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Rub all over with rock salt (sea salt).

Add a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke.

Crock pot Kalua Pig!!!!

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Take roast, cut off most visible fat.  Put in pot.
Add one can beef broth and one jar of pepperoncini or giardiniera.
Low about 6-8 hours, makes some ass kicking Italian beef sandwiches.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Be careful with the newer crock pots.

Because of all the hype about food not being cooked well enough and causing illness, Rival and perhaps others as well have modified them to cook hotter and faster so they don't work like they used to.

We've tried a couple of different models now and find the food overcooked no matter how low the setting.

Friggen lawyers!
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a new Crock Pot brand if that matters.

I've got some potatoes and carrots too... do they all go in at once, or a little later?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got some potatoes and carrots too... do they all go in at once, or a little later?

Cook em together.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
So do i need to brown it first or not?

Just throw it on the skillet for a bit, or rub it down first?

Or must I get on the grill?

I'll probably be setting this up tomorrow evenign so I can start it Wed morning and have it that night.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah I put them all in at once. Set it and forget it for several hours. I usually cook low and slow for things like that. It'll be great.  We use the crock pot a lot, in fact my gf made a great vegetable stew yesterday that we had tonight. There is an old Pennsylvania Dutch tradition for New Years that I always make in the crock pot with sour Kraut and pork roast that's killer.  Here is the recipe for that.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art12697.asp

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I just bought a 5 quart Crock Pot brand crock pot from Target for $15.

It's cooking a chicken as I type this..

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#13]
It's hard to fuck things up with a crock pot.  For roasts, I put it in with a can of broth and whatever pepper/garlic/salt I feel like putting in.  Set it on low and go to work for 8 hours.  When I come home I add in canned veggies and taters, then shit, shower, and shave, then eat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends on your taste.

Cooks.com has a decent site with lots of recipes.

Check it out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Big hunk of beef roast, 1/2 cup of red wine, 1 small can tomato paste.  Cook on low 8 hours.  Serve over rice with a tossed salad on the side.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Take roast, cut off most visible fat.  Put in pot.
Add one can beef broth and one jar of pepperoncini or giardiniera.
Low about 6-8 hours, makes some ass kicking Italian beef sandwiches.

This.
Add one can of beer. Cook for 8-12 hours.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I just got my 2nd crock pot at a family Christmas Chinese gift exchange. My first I busted before I got to use it.

How about a recipe for a good pot roast? I just picked one up at the store.

Any advice?

How many Chinese did you have to give in exchange? Do you have anymore? Are there any hot females? I have 2 crockpots I will offer you for one hot Chinese female.

+1  

I could use a chinese girl too!  preferably in her 20's

I've got 1 crockpot and  1k in smalll bills.....where you want to meet up?

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
First crockpot roast done.
Not a dinner pic (only had the LB out, didn't feel like making a bit production of it) I was too hungry to wait.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I caustic hot blued a pistol in a crock pot, once.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#20]
That looks really good....how many/types of seasonings did you end up using?

HH
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

HH

Ended up talking to Mom about it a bit.

Cut up half an onion, put it on the bottom
Meat with a little kosher salt
Couple potatoes
Carrots
One package of dry onion soup mix
couple cups of water

It was on "low" for 11hrs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They get hot enough for that?

(been a while since I read about it, and our refinishing forum rarely seems to hit on bluing... just rattle can stuff that I can see)
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Now get some corned beef

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HH

Ended up talking to Mom about it a bit.

Cut up half an onion, put it on the bottom
Meat with a little kosher salt
Couple potatoes
Carrots
One package of dry onion soup mix
couple cups of water

It was on "low" for 11hrs.

Sounds and looks delicious.  Those things are so versatile...you're gonna have a blast creating new dishes.

HH
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They get hot enough for that?

(been a while since I read about it, and our refinishing forum rarely seems to hit on bluing... just rattle can stuff that I can see)

This particular crock pot was a piece of shit, always overcooked, and a test revealed that indeed it would heat the contents to a nice 302 - 308 degrees.   Which was good enough for caustic bluing  (where lye is used with the alkali salts).

Pure molten salt bluing requires much hotter temps, but I've found caustic to work just fine.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Do this but double the amount of tomatoes it calls for. Serve over rice. Freaking awesome.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/porktenderloin/r/cpweekly49.htm
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Where's the pulled pork in a croc pot recipe?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#28]
frozen roast, no need to thaw first, one or two packets of french onion soup. ( the french were good for something ) . couple of cups of water to cover the meat. salt pepper garlic ftw. turns out awesome throw some potatoes and carrots in about an hour before the beef is done. this will take 10 hours to cook. save leftovers add some barley and celery instant barley soup for tmfw
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Big hunk of beef roast, 1/2 cup of red wine, 1 small can tomato paste.  Cook on low 8 hours.  Serve over rice with a tossed salad on the side.

How does your wife feel about having to do this?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Lipton Onion Soup mix.....

When I need to run out of the house, but have something cooking...

Piece of Bottom Round, Lipton Onion Soup Mix, some H2O....slow cook.   Have the kids put some peeled carrots and some canned new potatoes in the pot when they come home (about 2.5 hrs before dinner).

The meat is much better if browned first, but if you need to start it and run, it will work raw also.

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I made the copy of the beef one.

4 lbs pork roast/shoulder
2 packets dry italian mix
1 12 oz jar peppercini
3/4 cup vinegar or a bottle of beer

I cut slits in the shoulder and poured in the dressing mix.
Tossed in the crock pot.
Dump in liquid.
Dump in peppercini with the liquid.

Cook on low 8-9 hours or until it falls apart. I drain the liquid and then add enough back
in to keep it moist after pulling. Serve with your favorite sauce.

I use three depending on my mood...

KC Masterpiece
Cattlemans Smokey
Cattlemans Reserve

Chris

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Heck, just use the search button for "Crock pot." You'll find quite a few threads (and recipes).
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Brown a beef roast, toss it in the crock pot.  Chop up an onion and put in, along with some garlic.  Sprinkle a packet of onion soup mix over it (onion soup mix is great for lots of crock pot stuff).  Pour a can of diced tomatoes over everything, and toss in one or two bay leaves (bay leaves are often overlooked, but go well with beef), and some salt and pepper.  Cook on low for about 8 hours, enjoy.

Get some cheap country style pork ribs, toss 'em in the pot.  Chop an onion and put it in, along with some garlic.  Pour a bottle of cheap bbq sauce over it and let 'er rip for 8 hours on low.

I do my beans in the crock pot, they turn out great.

One important point––don't drown what you're cooking.  Some people are basically boiling the meat, which is not what crock pots are about.  A little liquid goes a long ways.  If necessary put an upside down bowl or small rack under the meat so it's not submerged.

If you're making a stew, let the meat cook a few hours before you add the vegetables.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

here ya go -

and I think next time around I'll wait and put the potatoes and carrots in later.  They were in the full 11hrs.  VERY full of flavor, but too much really.  I should have waited until lunch to do that.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does your wife feel about having to do this?

I am the wife, and the hubby makes a great salad.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Just pop a roast in it with potatoes, carrots, and celery.

You can do a whole chicken to.

McCormick makes packets for seasoning.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Crock Pots
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#38]
You can't F up crock pot cooking.  Just put good stuff in, set it, and forget it.  My wife does a killer split pea with bacon soup in ours.  Gives me gas like you wouldn't believe, but the taste is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Rub all over with rock salt (sea salt).

Add a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke.

Crock pot Kalua Pig!!!!

lol

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#40]
my fav is:

2 parts lentils
1 part patatoes cubed
1 part carrots sliced
1/2 part barley
1/2 part corn
1 part mushrooms
water or broth or some fav can of soup for a starter
season to taste
add meat if you want but good with or without. its a good stick to your ribs fuel for cold outdoor activites
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Heh, I actually just got my first crockpot and had my first adventure with it today.

In the spirit of all that is me, I disregarded instructions (recipes) and threw in a pork butt with a big bottle of Ray's Honey, a couple cups of apple cider vinegar, two cups brown sugar, a crap ton of black and red pepper, garlic and onion, and some tomato paste.

12 hours later, it was rather miraculous - well, at least for me, I love the sweet'n'spicy deal. I was kinda put off at first, as the outside made felt really hard and thought it was going to be tough, but once I split it and started pulling it apart is just fell apart into delicousness. Went well with some Miller Shock Top, which to my surprise, is actually pretty decent.

I'm sure I did something wrong according to someone in Texas or something, though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#42]
This one can be with chicken or beef

whole roast or whole chicken
beef or chicken broth
i pack of brown gravy for beef
if chicken 1 pack of lighter gravy
water
cubed  taters
celery added late in the meal
carrots
cook on low all day

turns out well, I had it today in fact using cubed beef with no celery because i didn't have any, it is so much better with celery
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife uses these and they are great.

Gotta have these.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Easy Stew

Stew Beef or a big chuck roast (within reason, the cheaper the better)
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Potatoes
Two or three beef bullion cubes
Salt and pepper

I don't even bother to brown the beef; just put everything in in reasonable proportions, cut into pieces about the same size.

I like mine cooked to death, as in 12 to 24 hours.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Drunk Dogs

As many hot dogs as will comfortably fit into the pot, cut into one-inch pieces.

Sauce*:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup mustard (whatever kind you like)
1 cup whiskey**
~1/2 cup of brown sugar (more or less to taste)
You can substitute some BBQ sauce for the ketchup if you want.  I like it that way; Briskette doesn't.

Mix the sauce thoroughly in a separate bowl.  Some gentle heating helps with mixing.
Pour the sauce over the dogs, making sure they are thoroughly coated.
Cook for 6 to 8 hours or so on low heat, stirring once or twice.

I'll usually serve it with toothpicks.

* Sauce should coat the dogs, but you don't need a deep pool of it in the bottom.
This amount will work well up to three or four normal-sized packages.

** Jack Daniels' gives a good pungent smoky flavor, but any whiskey will do.
I've used Jack, Seagram's 7, and am trying "Harwood Canadian" (whatever that is; it was on sale)
If you have only a shot left in several bottles, this is a good way to use it up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I find a cheap london broil. The fattier the better. anything too lean and its a waste of a good cut. However i salt and sear in some cast iron.. then throw in crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup. Half can of water. Mushrooms, whole garlic, carrots, potatoes and onions. Cook on the lowest setting (Mine is warm) for as long as you can stand it... i cook mine for like 8 hours and its fall off the fork tender. The soup in the mix makes a excelent sauce. Just cut and pour the sauce over it..
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Our recipe for Sunday lunch-

One Chuck tender roast
One or two large cans of cream of mushroom soup
Put all in the crockpot
Cook on low overnight

Enjoy at lunch.
jd1
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

here ya go -

and I think next time around I'll wait and put the potatoes and carrots in later.  They were in the full 11hrs.  VERY full of flavor, but too much really.  I should have waited until lunch to do that.

This.

VERY simple and easy for your first run. You pretty much can't mess it up and the results are great!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top