Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 8:21:03 PM EDT
I am using a set of resistance bands at home to workout. I've got multiple resistance levels that can be combined, 2 door anchors, 2 sets of leg straps, and 2 sets of handles to use with them. My primary goal is fat loss and overall well being. I prefer strength and conditioning over bulk. The resistance bands came with a circuit DVD that I like so far but it throws in some cardio between every resistance exercise which wears me out fast. I have yet to finish all 3 circuits on it so I am considering dropping my resistance level to get through it all. The problem is I already feel like I could use more resistance training. My solution is to mix things up by alternating it with resistance only days. I know weight loss is primarily a diet issue and I have that covered. Now I just need to nail the workout.

The following table is a modification of the full body circuit I did today. Originally it wasn't quite as complex and I didn't feel like I worked out hard enough so I added a few exercises. Each exercise will be 10-15 reps. I plan on trying this next and reevaluating from there. You can ignore the band colors and their position. What do you think about the exercises and how they fit in the circuit?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would lose the bands and invest in a quality power rack, bench, and barbell set.

Heavy squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, power cleans, and chinups are all you need.  3 sets of 5.  I suggest Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" for more  details.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would lose the bands and invest in a quality power rack, bench, and barbell set.

Heavy squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, power cleans, and chinups are all you need.  3 sets of 5.  I suggest Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" for more  details.

THIS!

but no matter what you do its better than what 98% of the rest of the world does
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No room for all of that hence the bands. I am stuck with the hands and whatever other body weight routines I can do. The bands offer more resistance than I am capable of taking advantage of or will be able to take advantage of for a very long time.

I would like to do chinups but I don't think my door frames could hand the weight I would put on them even during the assisted pullups I would need to do. When I get down to a weight where I can run without stressing my joints too much I will start hitting the park for laps around the pond and take advantage of the stations they have around it where i can chinups and stuff.

The Starting Strength program looks good and I have heard great things but it isn't exactly what I am looking for. Like I said, my primary goal is weight loss. I thought I mentioned it before but endurance would be my secondary goal. Just getting stronger doesn't do much for me right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
What are your stats. Height weight, that kind of thing. You may be getting something outta that routine, but could get more out of more body work, and cardio than you will ever see with that.

Give me a little more background on yourself(diabetic, weight that kind of thing) and more goals and we can go from there.

And ya that stuff above, based on your wants are not at all what you want.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am using a set of resistance bands at home to workout. I've got multiple resistance levels that can be combined, 2 door anchors, 2 sets of leg straps, and 2 sets of handles to use with them. My primary goal is fat loss and overall well being. I prefer strength and conditioning over bulk. The resistance bands came with a circuit DVD that I like so far but it throws in some cardio between every resistance exercise which wears me out fast. I have yet to finish all 3 circuits on it so I am considering dropping my resistance level to get through it all. The problem is I already feel like I could use more resistance training. My solution is to mix things up by alternating it with resistance only days. I know weight loss is primarily a diet issue and I have that covered. Now I just need to nail the workout.

The following table is a modification of the full body circuit I did today. Originally it wasn't quite as complex and I didn't feel like I worked out hard enough so I added a few exercises. Each exercise will be 10-15 reps. I plan on trying this next and reevaluating from there. You can ignore the band colors and their position. What do you think about the exercises and how they fit in the circuit?

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab133/drewsedg/Workout.jpg

Im guessing that all the previous posters missed this.  Gehrke has it right, any 3x5 workout or power lift will not give you the desired goal.  The other fail about the responses was the lack of other info.  What %1RM is the OP supposed to go with in that riptoe workout?  How much rest between sets?  Its all verbal diahrea if you ask me...

If youre going for weight loss and endurance your lifts will more than likely be in the 4-5 set and 12-15 rep range with 30 secs of rest in between.  Give Gehrke what he asked for and he'll hook you up.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a big guy....VERY big.

I started doing a 4 night a week routine at a gym.
WO 1 I do mostly Arms, and back work, with tricep pulldows, rows, etc
WO 2 is squat day... lots of leg work.  Also Core
WO 3 is back to arms and chest, also more of an endurance WO.  Smaller weight, more reps.
WO 4 is back legs, planks, etc.

I also do 3 Aerobic courses a week.  Water Aerobics and others.  Just for the cardio and the working of stability muscles.

I also try to use unstable items like barbells and cable machines to force my stability muscles to work out.

I have lost 50 or so lbs so far, have gained a ton of muscle

Biggest thing I can tell you is keep track of what you are doing.  Keep a Journal.  Also, when I hit a wall with Bench press, for example, I toss an extra 25 lbs on, do as many as I can to failure, do it again and drop the weight back down.  At least I am stressing them so I can break through to the next level.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I am 27, 5'11" and currently at 265 down from 295. Looking to get down to 195 and I will reevaluate from there. My end of the year goal is 225 which is a 7lb per month loss if I remember correctly. Once I get down to a body fat percentage that is more reasonable I can worry about building strength and increasing muscle. For now I just want to lose fat, build cardio and muscle endurance, and avoid losing muscle with the fat.

No diagnosed physical ailments however I am concerned about my heart health. I had a blood test recently and pretty much all they said was get more exercise, get good cholesterol up, and drink less which were three things I was already focusing on.

Do you mean the Rippetoe Starting Strength routine or my chart not being what I want? What do you mean by more body work?

I already have a cardio routine working for me and kicking my ass. By the time I catch up to it I should be light enough to start running without worrying about what it will do to my joints and then I can start HIIT.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Im guessing that all the previous posters missed this.  Gehrke has it right, any 3x5 workout or power lift will not give you the desired goal.  The other fail about the responses was the lack of other info.  What %1RM is the OP supposed to go with in that riptoe workout?  How much rest between sets?  Its all verbal diahrea if you ask me...

If the OP wants endurance, Crossfit may be a good choice.

However, I'm convinced that the best long-term method of losing weight is to add a substantial amount of muscle mass.  Anyone can lose weight by starving themselves, however, this will make them weak in the process.  Starve the body and it will want to store all of the calories that you consume as fat since it knows it isn't getting enough.

Once you get strong, it is relatively easy to get endurance or lose weight or add flexibility or whatever else you want to do.  Strength is the base that makes everything else possible, and the best way to get strong is to lift heavy using compound exercises.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, I'm convinced that the best long-term method of losing weight is to add a substantial amount of muscle mass.  Anyone can lose weight by starving themselves, however, this will make them weak in the process.  Starve the body and it will want to store all of the calories that you consume as fat since it knows it isn't getting enough.

Once you get strong, it is relatively easy to get endurance or lose weight or add flexibility or whatever else you want to do.  Strength is the base that makes everything else possible, and the best way to get strong is to lift heavy using compound exercises.

There is a difference between starving yourself and being in a calorie deficit. Getting stronger isn't going to get me to lose 70lbs of fat. I wouldn't be able to add enough muscle mass to metabolize enough calories to make a significant difference for years. IIRC adding 20lbs of muscle would only add about 200 calories of required energy per day. So if I were to add 20lbs of muscle I would be lucky to lose 20lbs of fat per year. Add in the fact that you can only really add muscle weight by eating at a surplus of calories and add fat in the process and what you suggest would be counter productive to my goals.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am 27, 5'11" and currently at 265 down from 295. Looking to get down to 195 and I will reevaluate from there. My end of the year goal is 225 which is a 7lb per month loss if I remember correctly. Once I get down to a body fat percentage that is more reasonable I can worry about building strength and increasing muscle. For now I just want to lose fat, build cardio and muscle endurance, and avoid losing muscle with the fat.

No diagnosed physical ailments however I am concerned about my heart health. I had a blood test recently and pretty much all they said was get more exercise, get good cholesterol up, and drink less which were three things I was already focusing on.

Do you mean the Rippetoe Starting Strength routine or my chart not being what I want? What do you mean by more body work?

I already have a cardio routine working for me and kicking my ass. By the time I catch up to it I should be light enough to start running without worrying about what it will do to my joints and then I can start HIIT.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. safely and effectively you should see about 1 to 2 lbs a week so if 7lbs is what you want you are gtg. The Rippetoe is NOT what you and what  I meant by more body work was, using body weight. Drop the bands and do what you can with your own body weight. It sounds like your park has a pretty good setup for doing HIIT exercises already. and the stigma of being to heavy to run and having joint issues(especially at 27) is crap. You just need to find the right shoes and you'll be gtg. Shorter runs with mixed in body squats, chinups, pushups, situps and such with MAYBE 10 seconds of rest between each is going to make you BLOW thru your weight.

Example and im not saying do this solely feel free to supplement it in to your current workout. Do 400m run, 10 pushups, 10 chinups(now with chinups, 10 try is better than nothing try till you feel you cant go and then go again make this a quick transition little rest but keep trying and your body will adapt) , 10 body squats, and 10 situps...now here comes a little tricky part your rest should be no longer than it took you to do all of that. Do 10 sets of this with the rest being equal to the previous set and you will see the lbs drop.

This would end up being 3 of your days out of a 5 day routine.

quick edit: Being your size doing the body weight stuff is going to be the quickest way for you to become acclimated with where your body is at and help your body shed the unnecessary poundage. Basically what we are looking for is the faster we can get you into the your ETC and your fatty acid moblization stages and maintain that the better off we are. Basically we are burning the most calories we can.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youre convinced based on what sort of background?

And I never said he needed to starve him self... But diet is just as important as the workout itself

You can lift for endurance and strength without adding bulk and still lose weight.  This is where the rep and set range comes into play.  Bulk is a byproduct of muscle fiber type which is determined by genetics and workout type.  Yes lifting for hypertrophy and strength will help you lose weight but that muscle bulk isnt part of his ultimate goal.  The OP is looking for more of a functional strength and not a meathead strength.  He doesnt need to only shoot for that then change his goal, he can head in that direction by lifting in a non specific way.  There are many roads you can take to get the desired result, not just one.  The only thing lifting heavy will get you is power and strength not endurance.  Hes looking to train a specific fiber type, which is not the one your workout recommendations will give him.  And just so you know its a lot harder to change your fiber type from one to the other...its much easier when youre starting from scratch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. safely and effectively you should see about 1 to 2 lbs a week so if 7lbs is what you want you are gtg. The Rippetoe is NOT what you and what  I meant by more body work was, using body weight. Drop the bands and do what you can with your own body weight. It sounds like your park has a pretty good setup for doing HIIT exercises already. and the stigma of being to heavy to run and having joint issues(especially at 27) is crap. You just need to find the right shoes and you'll be gtg. Shorter runs with mixed in body squats, chinups, pushups, situps and such with MAYBE 10 seconds of rest between each is going to make you BLOW thru your weight.

Example and im not saying do this solely feel free to supplement it in to your current workout. Do 400m run, 10 pushups, 10 chinups(now with chinups, 10 try is better than nothing try till you feel you cant go and then go again make this a quick transition little rest but keep trying and your body will adapt) , 10 body squats, and 10 situps...now here comes a little tricky part your rest should be no longer than it took you to do all of that. Do 10 sets of this with the rest being equal to the previous set and you will see the lbs drop.

I started off with body weight routines. The plan was originally to do something like P90X but it is way too much for me even though I would like to work my way into it. Plus it has some stuff I can't do at all like the pullups. I started at the bottom and worked up. First just your basic pushups, situps, stretches, and other callisthenic that I could remember from gym class. Next was an aerobics type routine that was good for a couple of weeks. After that I had to start doing it twice a day and lost interest in it. After that came a boxercise type thing that was good cardio for like a month. It got me tired and got my arms and back to burn a little but eventually I started to feel like I my heart rate wasn't getting up as much and I had to keep pushing the duration before I felt like I was getting a workout in.

That brings me to my current workout. The resistance bands I bought came with a circuit training DVD. It is structured in 3 circuits with all 3 circuits being the same. It goes Squats->Jumping Jacks->Rows->Jumping Jacks->Lunges->Jumping Jacks->Overhead Triceps Extensions->Jumping Jacks->Bicep Curl->Jumping Jacks->Lateral Raise->Jumping Jacks->Pushups->Lower Back Extension->Crunches. Everything is done for 12 reps with 25-30 jumping jacks in between. It takes about 12 minutes to do each circuit and thus far I have only rest 30-60 seconds in between circuits. Using a medium resistance band that is labeled 19lbs has me exhausted when I finish two of the circuits. I just don't get up off the floor after finishing the crunches. I also experimented with changing bands throughout the routine since using 1 band for each exercise doesn't workout each muscle group the same. I used a heavier band labeled something like 25 pounds for the Squats and Bicep Curls. I don't think I did the second Circuit that day. I want to try stepping down in bands to see if I can get through all 3 circuits. Either way it has been the best workout I have tried yet. It works every muscle group enough that I feel it pretty good afterward and by 1/4 way through the first circuit my heart is pumping hard.

I don't think the joint thing is crap with me. One of the reasons I finally decided to make a change was because I was tired of the random joint and back injuries from being so heavy. I am currently nursing a sore heel that I got from doing jumping jacks. I bought a pair of New Balance cross training shoes thinking they would help but they don't seem to. They just hurt my feet and I have even had to stop my routine because my feet hurt so much. Barefoot on the carpet seems to work better than them for some reason. If you have input on that I'd like to hear it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the resistance band workout that I adapted my routine from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh25Rw_2-fM

Like I said, it didn't feel like it was enough. I also ended up replacing the third circuit of planks with the band workouts targeting the abs because I had a difficult time doing them and I felt having a third circuit that kept my heart rate up would be better for me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started off with body weight routines. The plan was originally to do something like P90X but it is way too much for me even though I would like to work my way into it. Plus it has some stuff I can't do at all like the pullups. I started at the bottom and worked up. First just your basic pushups, situps, stretches, and other callisthenic that I could remember from gym class. Next was an aerobics type routine that was good for a couple of weeks. After that I had to start doing it twice a day and lost interest in it. After that came a boxercise type thing that was good cardio for like a month. It got me tired and got my arms and back to burn a little but eventually I started to feel like I my heart rate wasn't getting up as much and I had to keep pushing the duration before I felt like I was getting a workout in.

That brings me to my current workout. The resistance bands I bought came with a circuit training DVD. It is structured in 3 circuits with all 3 circuits being the same. It goes Squats->Jumping Jacks->Rows->Jumping Jacks->Lunges->Jumping Jacks->Overhead Triceps Extensions->Jumping Jacks->Bicep Curl->Jumping Jacks->Lateral Raise->Jumping Jacks->Pushups->Lower Back Extension->Crunches. Everything is done for 12 reps with 25-30 jumping jacks in between. It takes about 12 minutes to do each circuit and thus far I have only rest 30-60 seconds in between circuits. Using a medium resistance band that is labeled 19lbs has me exhausted when I finish two of the circuits. I just don't get up off the floor after finishing the crunches. I also experimented with changing bands throughout the routine since using 1 band for each exercise doesn't workout each muscle group the same. I used a heavier band labeled something like 25 pounds for the Squats and Bicep Curls. I don't think I did the second Circuit that day. I want to try stepping down in bands to see if I can get through all 3 circuits. Either way it has been the best workout I have tried yet. It works every muscle group enough that I feel it pretty good afterward and by 1/4 way through the first circuit my heart is pumping hard.

I don't think the joint thing is crap with me. One of the reasons I finally decided to make a change was because I was tired of the random joint and back injuries from being so heavy. I am currently nursing a sore heel that I got from doing jumping jacks. I bought a pair of New Balance cross training shoes thinking they would help but they don't seem to. They just hurt my feet and I have even had to stop my routine because my feet hurt so much. Barefoot on the carpet seems to work better than them for some reason. If you have input on that I'd like to hear it.

Seems like your pretty squared away then. I would suggest getting to where you can get thru all 3 circuits in one workout the way its meant to be using lighter bands for some exercises and heavy for the ones you excel at should work just fine. As for shoes if you are inside doing it and it doesnt contain a ton of lateral movements go with a running shoe something fit to your foot type. You will be WAY better off then any sort of crosstrainer, Some of them are decent but put no focus on any sort of impact resistancy only lateral movement focus. They will throw their cheapest foam in the midsole just to make it work. ( I run a running store and we do several training shoes, Nike, New Balance, and Under Armour I will see 8 out of 10 people come back and leave in running shoes that are right for them).

And I apologize if I made the running joint issue seem mute, its a big excuse I see a lot of people use and gets under my skin. That being said if you have pushed it just feel that that is not working and not where you want to go, then by all means that is perfectly fine.

Overall what you are doing looks great and if its working and you are losing the weight you want that is the key. Stick with it and if you have questions ask away
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like your pretty squared away then. I would suggest getting to where you can get thru all 3 circuits in one workout the way its meant to be using lighter bands for some exercises and heavy for the ones you excel at should work just fine. As for shoes if you are inside doing it and it doesnt contain a ton of lateral movements go with a running shoe something fit to your foot type. You will be WAY better off then any sort of crosstrainer, Some of them are decent but put no focus on any sort of impact resistancy only lateral movement focus. They will throw their cheapest foam in the midsole just to make it work. ( I run a running store and we do several training shoes, Nike, New Balance, and Under Armour I will see 8 out of 10 people come back and leave in running shoes that are right for them).

And I apologize if I made the running joint issue seem mute, its a big excuse I see a lot of people use and gets under my skin. That being said if you have pushed it just feel that that is not working and not where you want to go, then by all means that is perfectly fine.

Overall what you are doing looks great and if its working and you are losing the weight you want that is the key. Stick with it and if you have questions ask away

Getting through all 3 circuits is the current goal. Dropping the band size was the plan. Adding the charted workout is only meant to supplement it so I am doing some resistance with what ends up being a strictly cardio routine with the smaller bands. I guess I will try it and see how it goes.

A lot of people look for excuses when it comes to working out. I know I have in the past. The time for that shit is over with. I am willing to do whatever it takes. I really want to get into running especially now that I have discovered HIIT. The original plan was to get to the point where I could start running long distance but I really hated it when I was thinner so I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to running even though I was looking forward to being in the kind of shape it would get me into.

I guess I chuck the NBs then and get a running shoe when the time comes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top