you put your glock in an oven?
describe how you did this please.

Haha...no, only the kydex.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you put your glock in an oven?
describe how you did this please.

They should ad this one to the Glock Test Ad.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That pocket PC survived amazingly well
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, where can i get some Kydex? I cant find a holster worth a damn for my SW99 and tac-light.  Thats cool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thumper:
You should have Patented this idea
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the kind comments.

Quoted:
any pics of how it sits on your belt?

Here ya go. I pulled the fabric tight so you could see the outline of the holster.  If left alone, you cant see it:

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Where did you buy the Kydex, im looking to make one for my 1911.......
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
"No your Honor, I made that rig myself........."
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's actually a chopped up and reformed P7 holster.  You can get sheet kydex, though.  Quick google search:

www.knifekits.com/store/s-pages/kk_store_1mainframe.htm?kk_products_sheath_main.htm~smain

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I hope that's not some Case Number 3 Massad Ayoob silliness.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh yes, order has been placed.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's actually a chopped up and reformed P7 holster.  You can get sheet kydex, though.  Quick google search:

www.knifekits.com/store/s-pages/kk_store_1mainframe.htm?kk_products_sheath_main.htm~smain

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Well what thickness did you use on the Kydex? I have found that .060 works the best but has a tendency to collapse once you draw your weapon. I've holsters from .100 thick Kydex but it is soo hard to work with that I quit that. And for those looking for Kydes check on line. Some knife suppy stores carry it. I have a 3 foot piece of .040 Charcoal gray.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#15]
nice

gotta get more details
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here ya go. I pulled the fabric tight so you could see the outline of the holster.  If left alone, you cant see it:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/THR-Thumper/Onthebelt.jpg

Wow you must workout      lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't get it.

Actually this is a tag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/THR-Thumper/Onthebelt.jpg

HOLY CRAP!
I'm not alone in not being a fatass couch commando!
Great job on your holster - let us know how it works when "drawing down"
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#19]

I'm not alone in not being a fatass couch commando!
Great job on your holster - let us know how it works when "drawing down"

Dude, I am a fatass couch commando.  

But thanks...

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude,

It came out okay, but a few points:

1. You don't have a sight channel. Could cause drag problems or if you have night sights, the front post will fill up with material. If you are using the original poly front sight, it could get ripped out - if that is indeed a Glock. Sorry. It's a Grock. I was focusing on the holster, not the gun.

2. Without a tensioning mechanism, the pistol will not fit secure enough to eliminate rubbing and moving around in the holster, causing wear to the finish. Yes, Kydex will wear a finish - even Glocks.

3. Having a divot for the trigger guard as a "locking method" will cause some draw issues with the light attached. Undue wear, and possibly damaging the switch assembly for the M3. I have seen M3 switches break off. Without the light, it won't be as secure.

4. Loop belt attachment. No offense, but this is the worst possible belt securing method. If you pull the loop away from the holster to get it over the belt, over time it will stress at the top of the loop and snap. A certain holster company in Phoenix uses this type of loop and they break often and quickly. A J-loop works much better and has almost no stress involved if you do it correctly. I have many holsters in use for the last 3+ years that have zero problems so far. As thin as that loop is, it will snap at some point.

5. Due to having no tension screw, your firearm could get pushed back out of the holster and get trapped by the trigger guard or light assembly. If enough force shoves your pistol back against the top of the slide, it will force itself out of the back of the holster. I personally hand bone mine to give it more detail and that keeps the firearm secure in the holster.

Good try and keep experimenting. I have been making Kydex holsters for the last 4 years or so. For IWB holsters, I use .093 thick Kydex. For paddles, drop Tac holsters or belt slides I use .125 or .1875 Kydex. I also use the good Kydex, not the Kydex 100 that is cheaper and more brittle that other companies use, like a certain company in Phx that works out of a certain east valley indoor gun range. A 4' x 8' sheet runs me $125 per sheet and more if thicker. It is not cheap and making one holster is not worth getting a sheet for. I get mine from a plastics supply shop.

For ones and two's, give Newt Livesay a call at Wicked Knives. He sells small pieces of the good Kydex and is a wonderful man to deal with. I've known him for years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#22]
tag cause I like this DIY stuff

SRM
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#23]
That looks good.  Hell of a lot better than I could have done.  I would have ended up burning the house down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#24]
if the holster is not made of stiff material it (the pistol) will not come out very fast cause it will tend to snag on the material.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]
This one's pretty stiff. Like I mentioned, it's cut and reformed with kydex from an existing holster.

Been wearing it all week and no worries.

I like it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#27]
man, I hope someone is saving all these BIY threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top