Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 1:28:14 PM EDT
A few hours later, and with his friend being forced to pay more than $10,000 up front, the father and husband was unconscious in a Mexican hospital.

Soon, his wife was by his bed, and no one had a clear picture of what had occurred.

"They said, 'You've had an accident and you're in the hospital.' I remember being stunned thinking, 'Why in the world are you down here?'" he said.

After the hospital in Cancun kept demanding cash or a credit card for care, the family soon decided to fly Rick home with help from a friend with access to a medical

"We landed, and literally I had been down there for less than four hours, and something happened. It's a very dangerous place," says Autrey.

In May, Autrey and another friend traveled to the country's east coast and Riviera Maya for a quick stay at an all-inclusive resort.

Autrey says after having a few rum and cokes spaced out over a few hours, he was suddenly found floating in one of the resort's pools.

"They threw me on the swim-up bar and started CPR," he says, recounting what witnesses later told him happened.

LINK
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
ill have an iv drip
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Been to Mexico once and it was an absolute shithole.  I have zero desire to ever go back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been to Mexico once and it was an absolute shithole.  I have zero desire to ever go back.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never been there and have no desire to
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
A guy at work crashed a scooter in Mexico and had to have major shoulder surgery down there. He was out for months.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Visit beautiful Mexico have a drink and never leave

Have a stiff drink and end up a stiff
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I spent two years in Mexico, and can say positively that if you're hurt in Mexico, the worst thing you can do is go to the closest hospital.

You put a freaking tourniquet on, and you travel as far as it takes to get to a GOOD hospital.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The cops do it, why would any one be surprised the hospitals are any different?  

Third world shit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Beinvenidos a Mexico!

Plata o plomo?

Usted eligio mal...

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]
It always surprises me people don't do any kind of prep when traveling far from home and country.  Any time I travel for business or vacation I spend a few hours researching local conditions, hospitals, clinics, police, currency, phone etc

especially I take a look at exit plans, what happens if the planes stop how do I get out and get home. land routes, transportation, water extraction.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no sympathy for anyone who gets fucked over in Mexico. You go to a third world shithole whose own citizens literally die trying to leave and expect to be safe?

Fuck Mexico. If I wanted to have the Mexico experience I would just go to my local dump and drink some puddle water I found there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Yet both the wife and I have friends who travel to that shit hole all the time and scoff whenever you tell them about the danger to Americans.
"Oh we always stay at gated resorts, or only go to certain places. Whistling past a graveyard I'd guess.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't been since the 70's.
I have no intention of ever going again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
This is why smart travelers purchase travelers insurance. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is why smart travelers purchase travelers insurance. 
View Quote
Are they going to reimburse you for cash bribes if you lose your receipt?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Resorts sell tainted liquor
Hospitals fleece them
???
Profit

Went back in 02. I'll never set foot there again
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#18]
We Americans know the secrets of their food.

The place can rot for all I care.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought everyone knew that in Mexico  you pay up front when you go the the hospital.  I am assuming lack of insurance by locals, and general wanting to get paid.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone who travels to that shit-hole deserves all the fuckings that a third world shit-hole can dish out
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Pay with credit card, dispute charge when you get home?

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I suspect their tourism is falling like a rock. There has been continuous bad press and the prices are the lowest of any caribbean vacation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
That's tourism in Mexico!

Do what the Mexicans do and it's a pretty safe place.  Do what the gringos do and it's full of fuck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A guy at work crashed a scooter in Mexico and had to have major shoulder surgery down there. He was out for months.
View Quote
Only idiots ride mopeds there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I suspect their tourism is falling like a rock. There has been continuous bad press and the prices are the lowest of any caribbean vacation.
View Quote
I doubt it.   If I remember, I will try to find hotel occupancy numbers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
If it starts to, the Mexican "government" will actually do something about the problem.  They aren't going to let that cash cow get away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It always surprises me people don't do any kind of prep when traveling far from home and country.  Any time I travel for business or vacation I spend a few hours researching local conditions, hospitals, clinics, police, currency, phone etc

especially I take a look at exit plans, what happens if the planes stop how do I get out and get home. land routes, transportation, water extraction.
View Quote
Really? It surprises you? Most people don't even know the capabilities of their local hospital here in the US.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've been there three times since 09 and had a blast every time. Will definitely go back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I actually stayed at Riviera Maya 15-17 years ago and it was a great experience, but stopped going when the cartels started acting up.  Plenty of other, friendly, countries to visit.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted: I've been there three times since 09 and had a blast every time. Will definitely go back.
View Quote
Been there once and had a good time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Been there dozens of times for business over the last 20 years.  I've never had a single issue.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#35]
BYOB and food at these all inclusive Mexican resorts
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pay with credit card, dispute charge when you get home?

View Quote
AMEX!  They'll block damn near anything.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Friends of mine go there for vacations and dental work. They are millionaires yet get their cavities filled in Mexico to save a couple hundred bucks. Swear it's great as long as you stay in the gated tourist places and don't drink the water
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I work in Detroit, I don't need to go visit some third world shit hole, since I spend 40+ hours a week in one.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Mexico is a special kind of terrible, of course, but I was always iffy about medical stuff in any other country I have been in, too. When I was in Italy with my dad (who was between cancer treatments at the time), he handed me his Amex and said if he had a medical emergency to spend whatever I needed to spend to get him to an American hospital and an American doctor. He was a recently retired general surgeon at the time. "Don't let the Italians touch me."
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Third world countries aren't my idea of a vacation.  Besides the rare but obvious dangers, I'd feel a little douchy to enjoy cocktails served by people living in squalor right outside the resort gates.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#42]
My Baja racing friend's son crashed at night near La Paz.  When they found him he was critical and got a chopper to fly him out.  SOP I'd imagine for the racers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#43]
As if I need any more reason to not plan my honey moon the that shithole
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Mexico preys on America
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Friends of mine go there for vacations and dental work. They are millionaires yet get their cavities filled in Mexico to save a couple hundred bucks. Swear it's great as long as you stay in the gated tourist places and don't drink the water
View Quote
I bet they use the highest quality mercury and lead in their fillings...

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been there three times since 09 and had a blast every time. Will definitely go back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup, all the tough guys on here are only tough until natural light hits them when their mom calls them out of the basement for pancakes.

I have been to the Sinaloa area,  Michocan..Reynosa, and was in Merida for 20 days recently.  They did find 10 severed heads outside my hotel a while back but it is a Zeta vs..Cartel Del Golfos..thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If it starts to, the Mexican "government" will actually do something about the problem.  They aren't going to let that cash cow get away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They couldn't stop it if they wanted to. The government has no power or control there.

Also, if you travel to the third world without traveller's medical/evacuation insurance, you are an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yup, all the tough guys on here are only tough until natural light hits them when their mom calls them out of the basement for pancakes.

I have been to the Sinaloa area,  Michocan..Reynosa, and was in Merida for 20 days recently.  They did find 10 severed heads outside my hotel a while back but it is a Zeta vs..Cartel Del Golfos..thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watch out we got a bad ass here. I'm sure those soulless cartel hit men will leave you alone if you look the other way.  Or maybe they won't.  

I prefer to vacation where there aren't any soulless cartel hit men.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
 I was just down  Mexico in February, It was beautiful.  
Friendly people,  polite  drivers, very pedestrian-aware.
 Ignoring the litter problem, they have  decent roads,  modern Telecom,  have a well developed economy, and relative freedom from  intrusive government. Banking is  slightly more of a pain in the ass, but  supposedly better than it was   a decade ago.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#50]
You guys are going to the wrong places in Mexico.

It was one of the nicest trips I have ever taken

All expenses paid by a large corporation of course

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top