Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/11/2002 6:01:47 PM EST
My Nextcard Visa just went belly-up. Got a letter from the FDIC today. Seems like the tax-payers are going to be left holding the bag on $300-400 million. Now I need a new card. Low APR, No annual fee, and NO PHONES CALLS AT SUPPER! Any ideas? PS. Glad I am not on vacation now with a bum card. No warning at all! All card went dead Wednesday. FDIC took over in Feb for God's sake. Why leave people out to dry?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:04:36 PM EST
Try the new no card. Fold a piece of plastic in half, and put some cash inside. When you go to use the charge card, take the cash out. If there's no cash in there, then you can' afford it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:07:45 PM EST
Cash, my friend, works even late at night and in the boonies.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:15:46 PM EST
Chase is actually pretty good. They stopped telemarketing to me as soon as I tore one of their operators a new asshole and pissed in it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:28:15 PM EST
Do you pay the balance every month? Go for no annual fee, high credit line and the most perks and give-backs. Do you carry a balance? Go for the lowest rate, with (of course) the most perks and give-backs.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:34:09 PM EST
Don't get me started.... Credit is what is bringing this country down. If we kept a cash basis, yes I know it's still borrowed FRN's, the NWO would not have gotten a foothold on controlling us. Everyone who uses credit is supporting the bankers which basically is the NWO. You can still but things with FRN's (at least until the crash), so do it. Everytime you sign a charge slip, be it for $5.00 or $50,000, you increase the assets of the bank by that amount. When the assets of the bank increase, their power to oppress you increases. Where do you think they get some of their funding for Der Homeland von Security? I don't want to get into it. I just stay away from banks as much as I can. Yes, I have to give up the convenience of quick ordering, no paypal, blah, blah, blah, but it's worth it to me. You can't have your cake, freedom, and eat it too, credit. Wake up and smell the oppression.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:34:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By SWS: Do you pay the balance every month? Go for no annual fee, high credit line and the most perks and give-backs. Do you carry a balance? Go for the lowest rate, with (of course) the most perks and give-backs.
View Quote
This is a really good point. I turned down a lot of cards because of the high interest that had lots of benefits, even though I've never carried a balance on one. The best card for me might never work for you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:44:25 PM EST
You use credit? [stick] [spank] [puke] Got money?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:44:32 PM EST
Cash is King! If you must use a card, get a Debit card, it's taken everywhere Visa is! I have a Sears card for emergencys (car repair, appliances etc.) Other that that, it's CASH ONLY!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:06:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:40:50 PM EST
Are you kidding?!?! They went up? I didn't get that letter...yet. Hm, now if only I didn't have to pay that debt back! ha.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:45:38 PM EST
Check with your bank...they usually offer cards, or at least mine does. Also nice since you can just transfer money to the card so no having to mail checks to pay it off... Or you could go the non-card route but its always nice to have one just in case. Two or three tops I would think. Basically one you use and one for emergencies if wallet gets stolen or something...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:51:40 PM EST
Mildot Sniper wrote: If you must use a card, get a Debit card, it's taken everywhere Visa is! I have a Sears card for emergencys (car repair, appliances etc.) Other that that, it's CASH ONLY!
View Quote
Think about that and read the fine print. Laws from state to state vary, but the last I heard is that your full bank account associated with that debit card many cases can be 'exposed' due to fraud, misaccounting, etc. - whereas you're only responsible under Fed law to $50 if your credit card is lost/stolen. Some banks and/or states may have carried this $50 limit over to debit cards but I don't think it's universal. Also, use of a debit card is NOT considered same as use of a credit card for credit bureau reporting. Having no credit cards can affect your ability to get a mortgage at the lowest interest rate just as much as using cards inappropriately - since that will jimmy with your FICO score. Keep a coupla credit cards, don't use 'em except every few months to keep'em active (i.e, buy a widget or dinner then pay it off for no interest/charges). Sometimes you just gotta play within the system. Bill Wiese San Mateo, CA
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:52:29 PM EST
You guys are alot a help.The guy asks for creditcard suggestions and you tell him to use cash[rolleyes] [:)] If you've got a balance,I got a Chase card that gave me 12 months no interest on transfers,I think purchase rate is 11 or 12% Capitol One cards are 9.99%,both are Platinum and come with the features commensurate.Not too many banks are offering TRUE perks and/or givebacks at no cost anymore.Both these are no fee.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:34:15 PM EST
Yes, go with Capitol One. 9.99%
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:08:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kingme: Don't get me started.... Credit is what is bringing this country down. If we kept a cash basis, yes I know it's still borrowed FRN's, the NWO would not have gotten a foothold on controlling us. Everyone who uses credit is supporting the bankers which basically is the NWO. You can still but things with FRN's (at least until the crash), so do it. Everytime you sign a charge slip, be it for $5.00 or $50,000, you increase the assets of the bank by that amount. When the assets of the bank increase, their power to oppress you increases. Where do you think they get some of their funding for Der Homeland von Security? I don't want to get into it. I just stay away from banks as much as I can. Yes, I have to give up the convenience of quick ordering, no paypal, blah, blah, blah, but it's worth it to me. You can't have your cake, freedom, and eat it too, credit. Wake up and smell the oppression.
View Quote
So no home loan, auto loan, education loans, and worse yet, no online ammo purchases? Thanks, but not thanks!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:08:29 AM EST
Hey kingme,ever read -the secret world of money-?How bout-inside the Temple-? I'vge got a few good books and videos on the internatiional banking cartel.Your right,its scary,but.......I.......like.........stuff[>Q]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:13:58 AM EST
Here http://www.credit-card-offers.net/ This will help you find a card. If you pay your balances off, I recommend the umbrellabank card. It is a points type card with no fees and no balance required. If you don't need that, then there are a couple of cash back ones like discover platnium. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:55:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:57:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By Paul: CapitolOne Stay away from Bank America!
View Quote
CapOne is BoA? Interesting, unhappy with that card company anyways...
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:16:49 AM EST
I would suggest that you check out what your local credit union has in the way of cards---I would be willing to bet that you can get a much less expensive deal from them than from a bank. Also, check out www.usaa.com----this is the (old) U. S. Army (Officers) Association site--------------they typically have relatively good "deals" on things like cards, insurance and other financial products.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:48:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/12/2002 7:54:28 AM EST by Kingme]
bwiese said, "Having no credit cards can affect your ability to get a mortgage at the lowest interest rate..." Talk about extortion! Duh! What you're saying is that the banks will punish you if you don't pay them interest money. [stick] They have this "credit" system set up whereby you are considered low life unless you pay for the right to buy things. [spank] And if you haven't been paying them money in the past, they're going to make sure that you cough up what you've been saving. [puke] Remember, time payments are restrictions on your future labor. You like oppression? mattja said, "So no home loan, auto loan, education loans, and worse yet, no online ammo purchases?" Allow me to rephrase that. No home loan, freedom; no auto loan, cutting off supply lines to the oppressors; no education loans, getting rid of the unconstitutional Board of Education, no online ammo purchases, no interest payments so I can buy MORE ammo. [beer] Wha-Whoo! MORE FREEDOM! [bounce] MORE LIBERTY! KEEP it coming! [<]:)]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:38:24 AM EST
just say no to Credit cards wish i had
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:55:52 AM EST
You have to have credit to get credit...... the Catch-22 of life. I love those balance transfer offers the CC companies send out. 0% for six months, no balance tranfer costs. Oh-Oh. Discover is FINALLY charging interest this month on the 6000 bucks I transferred last december. Time to pay it off with my 8000 in checking or move it along to another 0% interest card. I transferred 13,000 in student loans to my Visa account at 5.9%. That is a cheaper rate than my mortgage! My day-to-day CC has a rate of 7.something %. I have limits approaching 20K on several cards. I could heat my house with credit card offers. The more credit worthy you get, the more attractive the offers get.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:10:21 AM EST
pogo, sounds like you know how to play the game. I do aswell,and don't mind borrowing free money from credit card companies.When they no longer serve my purpases,I call em up and give em a chance to do good.If not ,I discard them and move to the next turkey.I kinda like jerking them around.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:49:03 AM EST
Actually, lately, I have been getting the 0 percent for purchases and balance transfers for a year if I transfer a balance of at least xxx to them. Well Some are as little as 500 dollars, so you transfer 500, next billing cycle you pay it off, and you get a freebie loan for a year. You get to collect intrest on the money you are saving to pay it off,and you don't pay the bank any interest as long as you pay it off the month before they try to put interest on your card. If interest rates in the bank weren't so crappy, it would be worth investing more time into finding these intros instead of waiting for them to show up at my door.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:29:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/12/2002 12:31:10 PM EST by Kingme]
And when the system crashes, do you think that the banks will just say, "No problem Mr. Sucker, you won't have to make payments until the country recovers."? You can bet they'll be coming after you. And are you going to be in a position to pay them? Then you might argue that you have money in a savings account. Well, if that savings account is in the same bank, they will have already taken it, it's called offset, to pay on your balance. BTW, this is why some people move their savings account to and get their CD's at another bank after they rack up debt in one bank. But overall, it won't help. If the banks close, you won't be able to get your money anyway. And you still have to make payments and eat. And now there's colored FRN's coming our way. What are the chances of them devaluing their money? Either way, I stay away from banks as much as I can. When the SHTF, you want to be free and clear.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:39:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:18:19 PM EST
Yeah,I once rented a car a few years ago with cash,cost me a $200 dollar deposit. kingme,you state the obvious,you don't know all the rules of the game.Besides in SHTF how the hell are banks gonna collect on anything. And one of the problems with the banking/insurance industry is CUSTOMER fraud and the ease at which it can be perpetrated.People jack up credit bills and cash advances all the time and then default and get their debts wiped clean.Happens everyday.I believe a couple a years ago personal bankruptcy's soared over one million in a year for the first time. I personally witnessed a guy at work take $25,000 in cash advances from several cards then file bankruptcy.A while later he supposedly had his house burglerized and claimed $10,000 on his home owners insurance.A while after that he took his dog for a walk,when he came back he found that a candle had fallen and caught the rug on fire.Now it didn't burn the structure down,just smoke dammaged the entire interior.So they ripped out all the walls and gutted the entire place and he got a full on remodel(while the insurance company rented him a house).Oh yeah,he also got about $65,000 for his belongings. All this took place in less than 2 years,bout a hundred grand in cash and a brand new house all tax free. Can you say shyster........
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:31:49 PM EST
IMHO you do need a credit card. Though not necessarily more than one or two. You need a credit or debit card if you are buying things online, purchasing travel, caught in a tight spot without cash, etc. But there are two BIG reasons you should NOT rely on a debit card: 1) Fraud protection - most credit card companies are pretty good about letting you dispute charges and otherwise deal with ripoffs. Not so with a debit card - it "works just like a check," which means you are always liable for the entire amount of your checking account, and once the money's gone, it's gone! 2) Credit history - though some board members seem to disagree, IMHO you will be much better off in life with a solid credit history. Debit cards do not count towards your credit record. I found this out the hard way, never having used a credit card until after college. So the first time I applied for a card, I showed up as an unemployed (I'm actually self-employed) non-student with no history - i.e. no card for me. Obviously I wouldn't be able to get a loan either... Now even though my finances are otherwise in great shape, it's still going to take me a while to catch up credit-wise.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:45:32 PM EST
byron2112 said, "kingme,you state the obvious,you don't know all the rules of the game.Besides in SHTF how the hell are banks gonna collect on anything." It's the contract and the technology. Your breech of contract, read no payments being made, will give them a legal right to hunt you down. They will make you look like the cause of the country's problems. With all the technology and sharing of your personal info on data bases, they will find you or you will not eat. Your picture will be run on TV until they get you. They have the ability of making you a criminal even though you're not. And wait and see how much it costs if you want go public to defend yourself. Got big bucks? Can you maintain your family during this battle? They have the laws already set up. Once you're in jail, your children will be legally taken by the authorities and placed where they choose, even sold. Your property will be seized. Your spouse will either be in the same trouble as you or they will try to cut her a deal in order to prosecute you to the fullest extent possible. "People jack up credit bills and cash advances all the time and then default and get their debts wiped clean.Happens everyday.I believe a couple a years ago personal bankruptcy's soared over one million in a year for the first time." Banks have had the law changed so that credit cards balances are excluded from bankruptcy actions. You shall pay. The system is far advanced. People were duped into using convenience to do quick buying. There was/is a payment for this convenience: you had to relinquish control to "them". Is there time to reverse this takeover? Are you ready to give up convenience? It all starts with you.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:13:16 PM EST
I got an interesting credit card solicitation in the mail today. It came in the form of a check for $3,835.00. All I need to do is sign and deposit the check and I get a credit card with a hefty balance before I even use it! Are people really stupid enough to go for these kind of offers? When I first got a debit card, I thought it was great because I could get rid of the credit card. The I discovered it couldn't be used for purchases more than a few hundred bucks. Pretty worthless for stuff you really need a credit card for, like plane tickets or expensive car repairs when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:54:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By anti-gov-tinfoil-man: Try the new no card. Fold a piece of plastic in half, and put some cash inside. When you go to use the charge card, take the cash out. If there's no cash in there, then you can' afford it.
View Quote
RANT MODE ON For all the assho's who replied as like this. Well F*** you very much. I wanted an answer to my question, not some wise ass comment. If I wanted to be treated like this, I would go to Glocktalk. Thanks friends... Thanks to all who responded with an intelligent response. Cash is king, Hell I even hedge a few gold coins around. I use credit card for online buying and traveling. Try stuffing your cash though a phone line to reserve a hotel room or renting a car. RANT MODE OFF I need to go take my medication now.....
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:32:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/13/2002 7:37:51 AM EST by Kingme]
PVFD304 said, "I wanted an answer to my question, not some wise ass comment." Well, apparently you can not discern who your friends are. They/we may not have given the answer you wanted, but they/we gave you the answer that was in your and in your country's best interest. They are your friends. Friends don't let friends get in debt. However, you don't have to follow these comments. You can do what you want. You have that choice for now. But if you keep using credit, you eventually will not have any choices. The decision is yours. Do what you want. No hard feelings. Just tried to help. Take care.
Top Top