Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 8:46:29 AM EDT
My wife got a call from her bank saying her Credit Card had been used in New York to buy gas (around $30.)  They were verifying that she wasn't in NY etc.  I'm just trying to figure out if this card was entirely random or the result of someone locally stealing the info (via a card reader) or what?  It seems that Sholanda, in NY used her name and not the wife's and was denied on the second use so I'm assuming they had a valid card number but not the name.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for your credit card company to be vigilant like that.  I am sure that the card has been cancelled and a new one issued.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a denial of credit notice one time in the mail from some store I had never been to.

So I ordered my credit report.

Keeping in mind I was in college, unmarried, living in a dorm when we found all this out.

I had 5 houses.  2 in MD, 1 in VA, 1 in DC and 1 in GA
I had 3 wives.
I had 16 credit cards amounting to over $300,000 in debt.

3 years, many many many letters to the credit agencies, and a big fat FRAUD PRONE stamp on my credit report for a few years, and my credit report is now correct.

GET YOUR CREDIT REPORT!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
if they had a valid number, they most likly got it at a gas station. the gas stations do it many ways, a rubbing when not looking, to even video tape screen shots
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just did that last month.  Clean as a whistle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I started checking mine every 6 months...never can be too safe anymore.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Keeping in mind I was in college, unmarried, living in a dorm when we found all this out.

I had 3 wives.

SELL!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got a denial of credit notice one time in the mail from some store I had never been to.

I had 3 wives.

3 years, many many many letters to the credit agencies, and a big fat FRAUD PRONE stamp on my credit report for a few years, and my credit report is now correct.

I assume they caught the person(s) responsible?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#8]
They didn't ask you for the security code on the back of your card did they...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=418796

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had 3 wives.

I assume they caught the person(s) responsible?

I have no idea.  The credit cards were linked to my name, but I never received bills for them, so they had the wrong address.  I never had any debt collectors after me, because nobody had the correct address, except for the credit card I actually used.

My name is Michael Johnson.  It is very common.  Heck, I know of 3 Michael Johnson's on ARFCOM that post here on a regular basis.  There are probably more.

A lot of it may have just been the credit report people putting the wrong Michael Johnson's information on my report.  That would explain the wives thing.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My wife got a call from her bank saying her Credit Card had been used in New York to buy gas (around $30.)  They were verifying that she wasn't in NY etc.  I'm just trying to figure out if this card was entirely random or the result of someone locally stealing the info (via a card reader) or what?  It seems that Sholanda, in NY used her name and not the wife's and was denied on the second use so I'm assuming they had a valid card number but not the name.

SHOLANDA?  That figures.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Same thing happen to my wife and I a few years back, My credit card company called and asked if we were in New York buying gas,(thats weird) Canceled card and got a new one. Good heads up on the CC company.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have one even more strange.

A local family found out their house had been stolen.  The kids lived out of town.  The parents passed away and the house was vacant while it was in probate and the kids were deciding to keep or sell.  A thief forged the signature on the deed of the property at the county courthouse and sold it to a cohort who in turn sold it to an innocent third party.  Once the case was settled, the family returned to the house to prepare it for sale and found unknown persons already living in it.  The thief was caught and is in prison.  I don't recall what happened to the innocent third party but the house they bought and had a mortgage for was not legally theirs.

Holy crap!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#15]
When thieves steal your identity they will have the bills sent  to another address (not yours) that way you have no clue.
I see this a lot.
Could be from computer transactions, could be bad guys have a friend in a company that has that data.
As this was cross country these are most likely causes.
Retailers are slack about ID and anyone can use anyone else's card most places. Duplicate cards are being made. Everytime you hand a waiter your card he could be walking away and duping your information.
I'm a cop. I pay cash for everything. I've seen too much of this.

I put credit fraud alert on my accounts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Most credit-card fraud now is using numbers that people aquire by being involved in the back-end of CC transaction-processing business, or by hacking into the computers of such businesses. It has less and less to do with where or how you use the card.

Phishing scams are what you often see in your email and hear about, but they're really the smaller part of it. A hacker online can literally steal millions of credit-card numbers in a matter of seconds, under the right/wrong circumstances.
~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top