Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 2/14/2016 3:59:32 PM EDT
I was next to a guy yesterday who had a tacticool rifle with the scope mounted backwards
What have y'all seen?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw a guy a few lanes down from me leave a section of cleaning rod in the barrel of his brand new 22-250 he was sighting in. Barrel peeled back in four sections back past the handguard. I think it scared me when it kaboomed worse than it scared him
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saw a guy a few lanes down from me leave a section of cleaning rod in the barrel of his brand new 22-250 he was sighting in. Barrel peeled back in four sections back past the handguard. I think it scared me when it kaboomed worse than it scared him
View Quote

My dad pumped 3-4 rounds of .22 into the bore sighter he was using on his old Nylon 66. Barrel did not kaboom but now is filled with a solid lead plug and associated bulge. Have been trying for some time to find a replacement barrel.

I knew something was wrong when I heard him shooting next to me, and the typical crack of a .22 sounded like someone hitting a concrete floor with a rubber mallot, then a long pause, and my dad yelling FUCK!!!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
In for the crazy ass stories . The best I've seen is an old surplus m1a throwing brass 40ft+ into the parking lot cracking my windshield. Range master had a piece of cardboard hitting the brass away lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a guy point an F-49 at my chest.
Freaked me out (as you can imagine), so I quick stepped to the left and said, "don't point that thing at me!"
He says, "aw, don't worry. it's not loaded"

At which point I took the rifle and yanked the bolt back, and it ejected a round.
"Fuck you, very much"
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Local PD's firearms instructor crank off a round into the lobby couch..
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw a ramrod go down range at a muzzle loader shooting match I entered when I was a teen. He missed the target.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw someone holding an infant right on the hot line
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I mistakenly mixed a 30-40 krag round in with my 303s and got it stuck in the chamber of my Enfield. Fortunately that's the most embarrassing thing that's happened to me so far.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
A guy shooting old school muzzle loader dressed in full mountain man regalia, complete with pouch, powder horn, coon hat and deer skin shirt with tassels.

Kinda cool, actually.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had that happen to me shooting my buddies flintlock or whatever it was in his back yard, drunk, at like 16 fucked my should all up!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I am like the meanest drill Sgt. On the planet when I am forced to go to a public range.  I don't tolerate stupidity and if I am being stupid I want immediate correction as well.  Lives are at stake!

One moment comes to mind.  A Dad brought two children to the range, a boy and girl.  They were on the bench shooting a .22 pistol.  Fair enough.  Dad bends over and was looking in his rage bag.  Little boy points gun at his sister's head, with finger on the trigger.  My heart stopped.  I was too far away to do anything at that moment, but I was sure to let Dad know when I walked over.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Used to work at a indoor range / gun shop open to the public.

Girl came in and wanted to rent a 45 Glock.   Staff discovered she had never fired a gun before.

Staff generously spent an hour teaching her to shoot with a .22 pistol.  It was a slow day.  They didn't charge her anything for the time or 22 ammo (this was back when 50 rounds cost 99 cents).

She learned quick and was a good shot.  So after an hour they rented the Glock to her and supervised her shooting the first mag or two.

They went to tend to other customers.  And the girl then blew her brains out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Bubba's tapcotactical SKS slamfired into the bench that his S&W 460 Performance Center was sitting on. Put a 20 cent Wolf FMJ into the frame of a $1,600 pistol out of a $150 SKS
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a guy walk down a hot range instead of calling for a cease fire
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was next to a guy yesterday who had a tacticool rifle with the scope mounted backwards
What have y'all seen?
View Quote

You sure it wasn't a 1x4?  They look backwards to me sometimes.  Worst I've seen is backward scope mounts
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
guy turned around with a loaded shotgun on a public range and blasted a round of buckshot into a pickup truck.  That was the last time I ever went to a public range.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A guy shooting old school muzzle loader dressed in full mountain man regalia, complete with pouch, powder horn, coon hat and deer skin shirt with tassels.

Kinda cool, actually.
View Quote

Probably practicing for a Mountain Man rendezvous match. They compete in period costume and equipments.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys shooting a brass signal cannon at the 100 yd range, using croquet balls and black powder.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Shooting at a range down near Waco some years back when some guy sent his kid downrange to hang a target.while the range was hot and people were shooting at benches on both sides of him.

Soon as I saw him cross the firing line I started screaming "cease fire! cease fire!".... and the guy actually said "it's OK as long as he stays in his lane."

I was held back from beating his ass by a couple guys I was shooting with. Fucking idiot.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Used to work at a indoor range / gun shop open to the public.

Girl came in and wanted to rent a 45 Glock.   Staff discovered she had never fired a gun before.

Staff generously spent an hour teaching her to shoot with a .22 pistol.  It was a slow day.  They didn't charge her anything for the time or 22 ammo (this was back when 50 rounds cost 99 cents).

She learned quick and was a good shot.  So after an hour they rented the Glock to her and supervised her shooting the first mag or two.

They went to tend to other customers.  And the girl then blew her brains out.
View Quote

Wow. How sad.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Guy showed up to the range with a grenade launcher.

A few guys made snide comments about his "under barrel flare launcher."

Turned out it was a registered LMT grenade launcher.

He had some 40mm rounds loaded with some sort of chalk projectile; it was pretty cool watching those go down range.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Dude had his car backed up to the back side of the firing line.
Trunk open.
He zippered up a bolt-action hunting rifle in a soft case and tossed it into the trunk.
BOOM!   Shoots a hole thru the back quarter panel of his car.
Luckily the bullet passed into a wooded area and struck nothing else.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#23]
My favorite one was the guy who shot about 150 rounds through the center of his target with an AK. The target was on the seven yard line.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I was shooting my Krink at a range and some cops started to do some tactical type training in front of me. They were not in my line of fire, but they were prancing around at my diagonal almost at 1o'clock from where I was shooting. I ceased fire. I had a real concerned look on my face, almost a sad depressed stare. I just sat there and just looked at them. I don't know, it was an unpleasant experience. I no longer go to that range, it was a private range
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Saw a couple of guys trying to shoot a 1911 shaped Llama .45ACP. It kept having failures to feed. The last hang up I witnessed saw them turn the jammed pistol around and look down the barrel to see why the bullets weren't coming out. I packed up and left.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#27]
An asian guy shooting a full auto Uzi concealed in a brief case.

I don't hang out at public ranges anymore.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I've decided not to go to public ranges anymore.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I saw a student draw a revolver from her holster and point it at the firearms instructor and pull the trigger multiple times as he was discussing the need for dry firing.  I thought he was going to drop her right on the spot, he was not happy.  Thank god it was empty.  Reading comprehension failure it was not a public range.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

On purpose?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]

I wasn't there, but a few years back some chump took his GF shooting and pulls the old macho hand her the .44 mag to shoot trick. He was standing behind her to watch the fun, the recoil from the first shot had the muzzle of the gun right between his eyes when she squeezed off a second shot accidentally.

Too bad for her that she got traumatized by his stupidity.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't been to range in years, and even then, I only went a few times. Never saw any crazy shit, but once an old man asked me what kind of assault rifle I was shooting. It was a Finnish Mosin.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I watched the guy next to me put down his gun and walk 10 yards down range to check his target while the range was hot and many people shooting to his right and left.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#37]
At an indoor range, saw a guy at the far end (near a wall, angle his shots towards the wall , shooting at something on the right side of his target, hitting the wall.  

I left
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#38]
When I lived in CA I got turned away from a range one day because it was closed for cleanup. Someone rented a gun and offed themselves on the line about 2 hours before I got there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Being down range when some senile old mfer popped off a round from one of his fudd rifles. I'm surprised the group of us that was out putting up targets didn't stomp him to death.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You sure it wasn't a 1x4?  They look backwards to me sometimes.  Worst I've seen is backward scope mounts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What have y'all seen?

Positive, it was an adjustable zoom scope.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Two guys were dressed in WWII German uniforms shooting
period weapons.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Desk pop?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Guy showed up to the range with a grenade launcher.

A few guys made snide comments about his "under barrel flare launcher."

Turned out it was a registered LMT grenade launcher.

He had some 40mm rounds loaded with some sort of chalk projectile; it was pretty cool watching those go down range.
View Quote

Training rounds.

ETA- I guess I've been lucky...strangest thing I have seen was the rule at the range I went to in VA Beach that said that you could only use zeroing targets for rifles, and you had to put the target all the way at the end of the (indoor) range. Fine by me, I was sighting in my new AR anyway, but I did not understand why, after sighting it in, I could not throw up a silhouette target. The guy next to me was zeroing in some kind of bolt-action with a monster scope on it, but the target was all of 10 feet down the line. Range control corrected him in a hurry. Guy and girl two lanes down from me: I guess he was "teaching" his wife/gf to shoot a pistol. He wandered off to do something else and she was just kinda pointing the pistol vaguely downrange and squeezing off rounds. I was about to walk over and offer some pointers about how you line up the single dot thingy between the two dot thingy when the range safety walked over to help her out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#44]
A guy who was complaining about his shitty AR15, nearly every round was a malfunction.

He was shooting .222 on purpose because he couldn't find any .223

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Desk pop?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Desk pop?

No, couch pop

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#46]
A bunch of young guys trying to shoot trap with an sks.  Packed my shit up and left after I informed the range officer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Two guys shooting a Barret Model 99 with the target on the 100 yard berm of a 300 yard range. They were excited over 3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I was at a local range on a busy Saturday. Cease fire is called so about 10 of us walk down to swap targets. There is multiple weapons and stuff left on the tables and there is a read light indicating cease fire. Dude rolls up and hops out of his car and proceeds to start unloading an AK down the range we are all standing on. This particular range had large cement drainage tubes you used as you lane like sector of fire limits. So maybe he didnt see anyone? This mother fucker just starts unloading and all the dudes down range start diving. I look over, rounds hitting about 10 ft from me. I've never seen someone pack up and leave so fast haha.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Local wma range. Couple of us were shooting rifles at 50 and 100yds. Guy shooting handgun down at the other end walks out on the hot range to shoot at his 15yd targets closer.

Different range, several guys shooting cans of cheap soda they were throwing on the ground 5yds in front of them with a keltec sub 2000 on a 150yd range. Who knows where their ricochets were going.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When I lived in CA I got turned away from a range one day because it was closed for cleanup. Someone rented a gun and offed themselves on the line about 2 hours before I got there.
View Quote

Happens more often than you think. Happened a year or so ago here in my town at an indoor range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top