Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 3:48:40 PM EST
We've been talking about boiling a bunch of crawfish at the next dept get together. I'm trying to figure out just how much we are going to need. A 40lb bag of the live crawfish cost's $119 plus shipping. Some guy at work here says that one person could eat that many crawfish. I've never had them so I dont know. Could someone who eats these things on a regular basis tell me what a serving size is for these things? The plan is to also get some sausage, oysters, and blue crab.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:00:59 PM EST
Since your having the other meats too, I would think 1 to 2 pounds per person would be enough. There is a lot of waste in them from their live weight but forty pounds for one person is a little overboard!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:12:30 PM EST
1 to 1.5 lbs whole water bugs per person. 1/2lb of tails only. BTW if you buy tails for gumbo or whatever, check to see where they come from. The last block frozen batch of water bug tails I bought came from China, I wasn't pleased!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:50:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:00:58 PM EST
If ya pay more than a buck fifty a pound yer gettin bent over and poked up the Hershey highway! Course thats in Louisiana...[:D] You also need a couple of Budreaux and Tibideaux tapes to make the experience authentic. Your also making me hungry!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:08:18 PM EST
If you're going to eat mudbugs you have to have some Beausoleil or Buckwheat Zydeco playing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:22:24 PM EST
I'd figure on 2-3lbs per person.Most of the weight is the shell.Better too much than too little.They are as addicting as boiled peanuts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:25:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 5:35:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/3/2003 5:37:07 PM EST by AcidGambit]
5 pounds of crawfish will equal 1 pound of meat. Ie: if you want one pound of meat eat, you need 5 pounds of whole crawfish. If you want them to get the flavor, you must let them soak in the water you cooked them in for 30-45min. You can pour the worlds crab boil and spices in the water you cook them in... It won't take. You have to pull them off the heat and let them sit in the cooking water for 30-45min. edited to say that: That price sucks... We get them live for $.89 a pound. Move to the south. How do you ship 40lbs of live crawfish anyway ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:44:00 AM EST
Yummy
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:49:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By deadeye47: If ya pay more than a buck fifty a pound yer gettin bent over and poked up the Hershey highway!
View Quote
This is a true statement. Where are you getting this $119 price? 5-6 pounds per person is what we usually serve. I have never had many leftover using that formula.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:52:07 AM EST
mmmmm.....sucking the heads.... -HS
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:53:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2003 10:57:46 AM EST by dave223]
DAMN...lol....I am glad I live in Texas. Looks like the avg. price for live crawfish shipped is 200 bucks per 40 pounds....HOLY SHIT. Buy a freekin airline ticket to Texas and lets eat here when they get back in season.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:20:08 AM EST
You will need 3 boxes/bags of Zataran's Crab Boil, 1 lb of Salt, 5 pounds of new potatoes, 2 pounds of boiler onions, 1 celery chopped into 1 inch sections, 5 ears of corn chopped into 2 inch sections of corn cob, one humongous pot with lid(20 gal or better), a large outdoor burner stove, and a 80 quart ice chest. 1.Put the crawfish into the ice chest and fill with water. Open the drain valve. Encourage small children to assist you in stirring the crawfish around with their hands to better rinse them off and to catch stragglers who attempt to escape. Laugh at them when they get pinced because "It builds character". 2. After initial rinsing add just enough water to cover the crawfish but not enough so that they can escape. 3. Put whole potatoes, whole onions (peels on or off, doesn't matter), two UNOPENED mesh bags of crab boil, corn, and celery into pot. Add water to 1/2 to 3/5 of full volume of pot. Allow to boil. Once boiling add the 3rd bag of crab boil by tearing it open and dumping it in. 4. Once the potatoes are 80% cooked go to the ice chest and add the pound of salt to the water by sprinkling. This will cause the crawfish to "purge" which is a nice way of saying vomit. Wait 5 minutes or so, rinse them once again, again mocking small children who will inexplicably be drawn back to the same small creatures that pinched the hell out of them before, drain them fully, and dump them into the vigorously boiling pot as fast as you can. Add water to cover. 5. When the pot begins to poil again turn off the flame and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. 6. Pour off the water if you will not be doing a second batch while catching the contents of the pot with a strainer. If you intend to do a second batch, pour it off into the ice chest (close that drain plug!) or into another giant pot. 7. Dump crawfish, corn, etc onto a large table covered with newspaper and commence to feed. Have trash cans strategically located around the table at various points. Enjoy! Any questions just ask, je suis Acadiene (Cajun).
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:26:35 AM EST
Schapman, Just did some calling on your behalf to some of the seafood markets around Denver. One guy I talked with (and mentioned he was born and raised in Louisiana) said to plan on at least 40 pounds of live mudbugs per every 3 or 4 people, with the other stuff you'll have. He also suggested you try calling some of seafood wholesalers around Denver, like Northeast Seafood Products. If you want, I'll IM you the phone number.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:10:17 PM EST
Okay, I am the uninitiated here so help me out. I've never had crawfish except using them as bait for smallmouths on the Delaware. I would love to try them. Where's a good place near suburban Philly? Talk of this stuf makes my mouth water. What do they taste like? How do you eat them? Are they the same as a "crayfish" that I hook through the tail and drift for smallies? Can I buy them local and cook them myself? As for the fishing, you guys local, I fish around Point Pleasant. In June before the tubing gets busy just wade and hammer them. I've had good luck with leeches too but it's easy to get crayfish. Just bait a minnow trap w/enlarged holes with hotdog chunks toss in the nearest creek viola! Free bait! My best smallie was about 3lbs 2 years ago. Anybody going for Stripers this spring? Sorry to get of track you have to forgive me I'm recovering from the worst flu I've ever had and I'm doped up on cold medicine. Plus I have serious cabin fever! TIA
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:42:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2003 1:42:46 PM EST by schapman43]
Valkyrie, check out [url]www.crawfishguy.com[/url] that will answer all your questions. Yankee1911, I appreciate you calling for me. Would you please send over that contact info for me? If 40lbs will only feed 3-4 people thats like $40 a person for crawfish alone. I have got to find these things cheeper. My wifes boss has his own plane, I wonder if I can talk him into flying me down there to buy some. Sounds like that would be the way to go. I think I was quoted $2.98 a pound from lil al's seafood.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:55:24 PM EST
Schapman, I suspect that this guy is used to the "Louisiana" way of doing a crawdad boil. You'd probably get away with a lot less than what he suggested. If you can fly down there, I'm sure you'll save money, depending on how many pounds you buy. A couple of the seafood markets here said that mudbugs have been somewhat scarce to get from their suppliers, which would explain the high prices in this area of the country. Anyway, IM incoming, and good luck. And next time, make sure you plan to buy enough for all of us. [:D]
Top Top