Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2009 6:39:55 PM EDT
I signed up for my first triathlon this coming October.  I've got under three months to get in shape for it...  
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Three months is a little short notice... isn't it? I knew a guy who did it on a whim like that, but he was already a crew team member and in fantastic shape.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Three months is a little short notice... isn't it? I knew a guy who did it on a whim like that, but he was already a crew team member and in fantastic shape.

I dunno, I am not exactly a couch potato.  
Besides, it's my first one...I don't have to win, just finish.  I know I can do the run and the bike, my only concern is the swim.  I've only been swimming for a bit over a month now but Friday I was able to make 20 laps, 1000 yards, without stopping for rest.  Gonna be a bit different in a lake instead of a pool, but then again it's only a quarter mile swim.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Which triathlon? Is it a sprint or international distance? Or HIM or IM?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which triathlon? Is it a sprint or international distance? Or HIM or IM?

It's a sprint––-I don't feel comfortable entering a race with a swim longer than that just yet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I am going to need to buy a road bike, I guess.  All I have right now is a mountain bike.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I checked out road bikes today...holy SHIT!  $800 for the cheapest one they had!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I checked out road bikes today...holy SHIT!  $800 for the cheapest one they had!

look for used ones. you dont need anything special as a amateur and unless you plan on doing the half ironman or full ironman, i would save thee $ and buy used until you realize biking is your thing or not.
good luck with your training. 3 months is PLENTY of time to train for a sprint, unless you have health problems or are a huge couch potato.
even then, in 3 months of serious training EVERY day, you should be able to accomplish enough to at least be confident in your ability to finish with a respectable time.
time really does not matter, finishing and having a good time during the event and training for it are what it is all about!
why do it if we dont enjoy it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

look for used ones. you dont need anything special as a amateur and unless you plan on doing the half ironman or full ironman, i would save thee $ and buy used until you realize biking is your thing or not.
good luck with your training. 3 months is PLENTY of time to train for a sprint, unless you have health problems or are a huge couch potato.
even then, in 3 months of serious training EVERY day, you should be able to accomplish enough to at least be confident in your ability to finish with a respectable time.
time really does not matter, finishing and having a good time during the event and training for it are what it is all about!
why do it if we dont enjoy it?

I have been doing a lot of mountain biking (well, this is Florida, so let's call it "trail biking") and I've really enjoyed it––-I think I would like to give road biking a try.  I've been looking for used ones, but the only bikes I've been finding on craig'slist that are worth a shit are mountain bikes.  
A friend of mine who is a big time triathlete––-he's about to do an Ironman in a couple weeks––-has offered to loan me his spare road bike for the race, but I want to get some practice on whatever I am going to race on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I rode my mountain bike on the road/bike path for 20 miles yesterday up some pretty fierce hills (for Florida ) and it wasn't much of a problem, other than my ass hurt like hell afterward.
Maybe I'll just do the triathlon on the mountain bike.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The hardest part IME is the swimming in a mob of people in the ocean or a lake. Nothing like getting kicked in the head and slapped on the back by 300 strangers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The hardest part IME is the swimming in a mob of people in the ocean or a lake. Nothing like getting kicked in the head and slapped on the back by 300 strangers.

The hardest part for me will be the swimming without the drowning part...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top