Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:14:34 PM EDT
Man-just bought a Rans Zenetik Pro. A real speedster that is comfortable- I love it. Need a recommendation for a bike computer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:15:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Glox:
Man-just bought a Rans Zenetik Pro. A real speedster that is comfortable- I love it. Need a recommendation for a bike computer.

Sissy.

Sorry, but all the guys around here with those are either really fat guys trying to get some excersize for the first time in years (good for them) or dorks. Serious dorks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:16:18 PM EDT
Is that a Kawasuki
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:24:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SCW:
Originally Posted By Glox:

Sissy.

Sorry, but all the guys around here with those are either really fat guys trying to get some excersize for the first time in years (good for them) or dorks. Serious dorks.

You got that right, lol. You may get a good look at my fat ass when I see you in my rear view mirror.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:50:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 12:52:08 PM EDT by Floppy_833]
I've had a RANS Fusion since late 2006.
I got rid of my last upright bike back around 1999-2000, switched to recumbents and thought I'd never buy another upright bike again.... but so many people on the recumbent web forums kept saying how great it was, I tested a earlier "chopper" Cruz and then ordered a Fusion.

It gives WAY better comfort than a normal bike, but still doesn't look too weird. Everybody who's tried riding it could balance on it right away, and agrees it feels awesome. But they make "the face" when they ask how much and I tell them it cost $1000 ––>

Oh well. I tried.

––––––

Always remember, kids: bicycling doesn't have to hurt––and a bicycle that is so uncomfortable to ride that you won't use it, is no bargain at any price.
~
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:54:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:08:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I like the idea, but whenever I see them, I worry about how well they handle (i.e. sharp turns, etc.) and at higher speeds - like 30 mph - and how hard it is to see from them (i.e. cars, etc.)

I'd be very worried about being on the shoulder of a road, having to swerve around a pothole, with traffic to my immediate left. How well do they work for that? Or are they more exclusively a paved bike lane/trail kind of contraption?

They handle perfectly. Put your feet flat on the ground when you stop then leave the trail riders in the dust when you accelerate. No learning curve on sharp turns or straight paths. 30 mph on a bicycle? You are one bad monkey! The problem is finding a dealer who has a demo to help you decide whether or not crank forward bikes are for you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:12:59 PM EDT
I've always found recumbents intriguing but couldn't justify buying one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:17:44 PM EDT
I dont get it. Whats the perk?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:18:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:

More comfortable seating.
Just don't try to go uphill on them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:19:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:20:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:21:26 PM EDT
I like the idea, but whenever I see them, I worry about how well they handle (i.e. sharp turns, etc.) and at higher speeds - like 30 mph - and how hard it is to see from them (i.e. cars, etc.)

I'd be very worried about being on the shoulder of a road, having to swerve around a pothole, with traffic to my immediate left. How well do they work for that? Or are they more exclusively a paved bike lane/trail kind of contraption?

Don't see how you'd hop a curb or road hazard if you had to-back when I ran a bike shop, we called them birth control bikes, because you wouldn't be reproducing if you rode one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:24:00 PM EDT
We have a shop that deals in recumbants here. I thought about getting once since I can't really ride my road bikes anymore but I also have noticed that the only people I see riding them aren't really in very good shape so I guess I don't see the point. I have a hard time with the stationary recumbants at the gym, and when they made me ride one for physical therpy. It's hard to use muscles you are sitting on.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:47:26 PM EDT

The advantage is your butt, hands and neck don't hurt from riding.

The disadvantage is, you don't have the intense grimace of a professional bicyclist because his butt, hands and neck hurt from riding.

––––––––––––-

In all fairness, mine does not feel very "fast"; the LWB recumbent I ride seems faster.
I've never rode a Zenetic though. And I am kinda hitting the upper tallness limit for the Fusion frame (RANS did not have the Sequoia when I bought my Fusion).
For casual riding though, it's very nice––even over longer distances of 20-30+ miles.
Due to the improved seat, padded shorts are not necessary, or even beneficial. I wear the unpadded lycra "recumbent" shorts, as loose shorts that bunch up will be uncomfortable on longer rides.

I like to describe the RANS Fusion as "the bicycle the Electra Townie wants to be when it grows up".
~
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:49:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By crurifragium:

Don't see how you'd hop a curb or road hazard if you had to-back when I ran a bike shop, we called them birth control bikes, because you wouldn't be reproducing if you rode one.

Or getting laid once a chick see you riding one..

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:04:42 PM EDT
riding while bent up like a cooked shrimp...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:17:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sylvan:

More comfortable seating.
Just don't try to go uphill on them.

Crank forwards are very good on climbs. On mine, I can stand on the pedals if I choose. For the most part, pulling back on the handle bars is sufficient. Severe climbs, just stand on the pedals like an upright.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:31:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
riding while bent up like a cooked shrimp...

When you are in somewhat good shape w/o a large gut it is very comfortable to ride like that. Keep in mind that people riding road bikes are riding for a differant reason than someone sashaying around a park trail. A bicycle is a very effeciant machine, you have to put effort into it to gain some kind of physical workout. You can be crippled and ride one if all you are doing is going to the store. They even make bicycles for the infirm over the pond where it is an accepted form of transportation.

When you start putting a little effort into riding you aren't really putting as much weight on your seat/butt. And like I stated, it's hard to utilize a muscle when you are sitting on it.

check out this bicycle bus

check out the delivery bike!

They are practical riders over there. Even though I no longer zoom around on my road bike, I can still hop on my geezer glide and go to the store. To save gas. Which I know is an arfcom no-no cause it's too liberal and conservatives should try their hardest to destroy the environment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:35:25 PM EDT
Check out this "conferance bike"!! I actually saw a differant video of this the first time I saw it. You get the idea though.

group bicycling
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 2:40:21 PM EDT by echo6]
My wife rides a Trek Pure Sport
CLICK FOR PIC

Still crank fwd, but nowhere as extreme as yours. We bought her the Crank Fwd as she wanted to start riding with me, but due to her back issues she cant ride a standard upright for more than about 1/2 mile without really paying for it.

Her first ride on the Pure Sport was a 15 miler with no issues at all
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:41:47 PM EDT
They are nice because on a reg bike, you are limited to push down on the pedal only as much force as your body weight, but with a backrest, you can basically legpress the pedal and get some good torque up on that bitch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:44:33 PM EDT
How can you pull up w/o cleats?!??! And actually you can pull up just fine on a road bike, clipped in.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:46:48 PM EDT
I think their are a number of people in this thread that are confusing recumbents and crank forward bikes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:53:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By echo6:
I think their are a number of people in this thread that are confusing recumbents and crank forward bikes.

I guess I am in that boat.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:56:07 PM EDT
I think I have a crank forward bike.

I did have an electra townie but it was so crank forward it was hard to ride. I actually traded it for the one above just to get rid of it.

I can't ride the one above for very many miles do to the postition but it will get me to work and the store if I chose. If I had it to do over I think I would have gone for a hybid or something. It's kind of hard to find a bike that is comfortable to me anymore so I've given up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:45:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 3:59:07 PM EDT by XD_Fan]
I'm not a big recumbent fan. I've ridden several and they always just seem awkward to me. I haven't had a road bike for about 15 years now so my opinion probably doesn't count for much. I ride my mountain bikes for everything now.

To answer the OP's question. I'm using a Catseye Strada on my bikes these days. Its wireless, easy to install, and you can buy another sensor and mount to move the computer from one bike to another. It does time, elapsed time, current speed, max speed, average speed, two trip distances and an odometer. It shuts itself off after ten minutes idle and automatically starts and stops when you do. Everything resets with a single reset except distance 2 and the odometer. You have to be in distance 2 to reset it. It mounts right on the stem and is easy to see. The computer does need to be within 70 cm of the sensor but that shouldn't be a problem. I paid $65 for mine at a bike shop but you can probably beat that online at some place like Performance or Bike Nashbar.

ETA: Add me to the list of confused people. The OP is talking about one of these:

I thought he was talking about one of these:

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:49:16 PM EDT
I have a 26" crank, I mean bicycle...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:04:38 PM EDT
I don't see how you could get enough leverage to go up hills?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:24:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By XD_Fan:
I'm not a big recumbent fan. I've ridden several and they always just seem awkward to me. I haven't had a road bike for about 15 years now so my opinion probably doesn't count for much. I ride my mountain bikes for everything now.

To answer the OP's question. I'm using a Catseye Strada on my bikes these days. Its wireless, easy to install, and you can buy another sensor and mount to move the computer from one bike to another. It does time, elapsed time, current speed, max speed, average speed, two trip distances and an odometer. It shuts itself off after ten minutes idle and automatically starts and stops when you do. Everything resets with a single reset except distance 2 and the odometer. You have to be in distance 2 to reset it. It mounts right on the stem and is easy to see. The computer does need to be within 70 cm of the sensor but that shouldn't be a problem. I paid $65 for mine at a bike shop but you can probably beat that online at some place like Performance or Bike Nashbar.

ETA: Add me to the list of confused people. The OP is talking about one of these:

http://www.ransbikes.com/Zenetik09/Lead%20Shot.jpg

I thought he was talking about one of these:

http://getitbent.com/bikepict2/bladelf.jpg

You are correct. I do not have a recumbent. My bike is similar to the yellow one, just a different model. Thanks for the tip on bike computers.
Top Top