Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 12:28:46 AM EDT
Have a 5 year old craftsman lawnmower with only 2 years of use.  I left old has with ethenol in it and it would not start.  Carb was way gummed up.

I drained the old gas, completely removed, disassembled and cleaned the carb, then added fresh Non-ethenol gas and it started right up but now struggles to idle, dies occasionally and when it does idle it is very eratic in RPM.  The needle and float are totally clean and both butterfly valves (throttle and choke?) were spotless.  Air filter looked great.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:31:03 AM EDT
You missed the air bleeds and metering jets.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:35:42 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmmm, I took a needle and made sure all ports were clear after shooting carb cleaner on the whole thing
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:43:42 AM EDT
Quoted:

Hmmmm, I took a needle and made sure all ports were clear after shooting carb cleaner on the whole thing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT.....you didn't replace the gaskets, diaphragm or other wear items, did you. Did you remove the needle cleaning it and the seat? Did you check the float level?

I'm gonna guess IF there's fuel line and a filter, you didn't change them out either

My spidey senses say you didn't.  There's more to a carb, any carb than just making sure all the ports were clear.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:43:59 AM EDT
Made sure it had oil in it? My Stepdad bought one and thought it had oil. Ran for a bit then nothing. Although think something else was wrong with it since it seemed that all the oil ended up in the air filter. My guess something screwed up at factory.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:49:02 AM EDT
Replace the air filter even if it "looks" clean. My Honda was running like shit until I replaced the "clean" looking air filter. Real fine particles that you can't see get lodged in there and no amount of cleaning will get them out.

Does she run good with the AF out?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:53:01 AM EDT

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to really flush those ports with the cleaner.

The jets may need to be reamed back to size with the proper numbered bit if they're jammed with hard debris.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:54:23 AM EDT
Quoted:

BUT.....you didn't replace the gaskets, diaphragm or other wear items, did you. Did you remove the needle cleaning it and the seat? Did you check the float level?

I'm gonna guess IF there's fuel line and a filter, you didn't change them out either

My spidey senses say you didn't.  There's more to a carb, any carb than just making sure all the ports were clear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't replace any gaskets or parts just cleaned them up.  Didn't replace fuel line and there is no fuel filter
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:05:23 AM EDT
Same issue here......I had a generator with only 5 hours on it and it idled horribly. I disassembled it and was going to clean it and realized I had a torn gasket. Gaskets were 9 bucks....but when I delved further, 16 bucks for a brand new carb with gaskets. Ordered the carb and put it on.....purrs like a kitten.....I can get exactly the same carb from china for 13 bucks but will have to wait 5-6 weeks. I will likely order it and put it back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:08:38 AM EDT
Pilot jet is still partially clogged.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:15:53 AM EDT
I've got a Craftsman mower too. 11years and going strong. I'd replace the air filter and if you can get the gaskets and fuel line get those too. If not start with the air filter. Also alittle techron or lucas fuel treatment (a tiny bit) may help clean things up a bit and get you back in business.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:25:42 AM EDT
If it is one of their little push mowers it won't have a needle or a diaphragm. They are super simple and don't even have jets.

Try not to get carb cleaner on any rubber parts and shoot some air through every orifice after letting the carb cleaner soak a bit. If you have any guitar strings laying around they make a good cleaning tool for the holes also.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:44:19 AM EDT
Quoted:
If it is one of their little push mowers it won't have a needle or a diaphragm. They are super simple and don't even have jets.

Try not to get carb cleaner on any rubber parts and shoot some air through every orifice after letting the carb cleaner soak a bit. If you have any guitar strings laying around they make a good cleaning tool for the holes also.
View Quote

So they don't have jets but you say to clean them with guitar strings?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:53:15 AM EDT
WHAT BRAND OF ENGINE IS ON IT?????????????
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:20:54 AM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a Briggs & Stratton platinum engine.

I did some more googling found that the float bowl nut is actually the main jet for the carb it was little gummed up I'll clean it a little bit better
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:28:47 AM EDT
Quoted:

I did some more googling found that the float bowl nut is actually the main jet for the carb it was little gummed up I'll clean it a little bit better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.
that is usually the only thing I have to cleanup and it has holes going vertical and horizontal that have to be cleaned out btw.
fluid flows but not enough. I usually cram a toothpick or something that deforms into it to get it to clear up and run right.
also up where it bolts into is a passage as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:36:48 AM EDT

I am going to guess it has a Champion spark plug. Get rid of that piece of shit and get

an Autolite or NGK
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:29:36 PM EDT
Bowl nut clogged?

Check for vac leak around choke arm.

RJ2 spark plug?  Replace with RJ19 series.  RJ2s are defective even if new.

Make sure float is actually shutting of fuel delivery.

Vac leaks around carb mounting gaskets?

Choke linkage jamming up?

Other end of choke linkage connected correctly?  (I remember a few new units that came from the factory with issues.  The top cover and flywheel cover had to come off, and then once could check there the linkage hooks around the arm from the exhaust heat spring.  IIRC it was possible to mess up this engagement if one wasn't careful removing and installing the carb.  If you can swing it back and forth, doesn't bind, and returns all the way to it's stop from it's own spring tension, then is 'should' be ok as I recall)

Automatic choke I assume?  I don't remember if the platinums all had the automatic choke.  I'm pretty sure they did though.

I spent 6 months servicing these about 2 years ago.  That all comes to mind off the top of my head.  I do recall one of the jets being partially clogged once or twice, and would run like crap once warmed up.  Due to "hurry up and get it out the door" we usually just replaced the carb if it wouldn't unclog with the ultrasound cleaner or carb cleaner spray.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:57:35 PM EDT
After all this work, you now will put on a fuel filter, right?

You don't want to have all that fun again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:59:10 PM EDT
I just went to the shop down the street, you can buy a new carb for $20!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 1:02:10 PM EDT
Quoted:
Have a 5 year old craftsman lawnmower with only 2 years of use.  I left old has with ethenol in it and it would not start.  Carb was way gummed up.

I drained the old gas, completely removed, disassembled and cleaned the carb, then added fresh Non-ethenol gas and it started right up but now struggles to idle, dies occasionally and when it does idle it is very eratic in RPM.  The needle and float are totally clean and both butterfly valves (throttle and choke?) were spotless.  Air filter looked great.

What am I missing?
View Quote

It's wasted. Buy a new one.  They are cheap. Get the part number and find on Amazon.  The jets are corroded the Venturi ways are probably gummed up too. You'll never clear it out or repair it. Don't waste your time.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:17:20 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

Do it, save yourself a lot of time and effort.

I speak from experience

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:24:32 PM EDT

Quoted:

View Quote
May be the easiest answer.   I've bought a few off amazon and paid less than a rebuild kit.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:32:07 PM EDT
Quoted:
Pilot jet is still partially clogged.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:34:40 PM EDT
sea foam
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:30:52 PM EDT
I've got a powermate edger that this season the carb isn't providing enough gas.  Stored it dry over the winter, so not sure what happened to it.  It's been apart and cleaned a couple times.  Just ordered a new one for 15 bucks.  Easier than continuing to mess with the current one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:02:51 PM EDT
Ethanol kills carbs, I have tried to clean and rebuild 4 now, no luck.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.